1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm a believer now...Bose 5.1 from 2 speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Garrison, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Normally, on a 2 speaker system, you can still hear the rear information behind because the rear info is OUT OF PHASE. Well, I was in Sears today. I walked by this Bose sound system that only had 2 speakers and a sub woofer SOMEWHERE. Anyway. I hit a button to run the test. It showed this race car scene on the TV. I stood there in the sweet spot. OMG. I can hear the cars going from right to left, of course. And front to rear and left to right in the rear. Like I was listening to a 5.1 system. I think this is pretty cool. But since BOSE is too expensive, and not worth having that system in my bedroom, I'll stick 2 channel in my bedroom, and eventually get a multichannel system later. But I say, that BOSE system sounded pretty good.

2. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

lipsick and rouge.
    I wonder how it would sound if you asked them to play a DVD of YOUR choice.[​IMG]

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Good point Phil. See if it sounds good with any DVD. Also you were caught up in the surround effects of that film without paying attention to the accuracy of the system in terms of upper end air (girt your teeth kind of BOSE treble) or mid range body (that BOSE completely lacks) or the lower end slam (boomy BOSE subs that smear out the whole lower end). I suggest you take some of your fav 2 channel recordings and listen in that system. If a system performs good in stereo then it almost certainly will perform good in HT. Thats a true test of the system. Its not difficult to create surround effects by changing the phase relationships of 2 channel sound. Even my Sony sounds incredible with its two speakers (set in surround configuration) with things flying off all over the place but does it sound accurate or would i listen to movies or music in that mode, NO!

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What exactly is your point? It's still Bose, and you will be spending $$ on something that is relatively non-upgradable, as well as paying MUCH more for what you get, especially if you are talking about the 3-2-1 system.

Nearly ANY 5.1 receiver can be run with 2 nice mains and still produce "simulated" surround, this is in no way "PROPRIETARY" to Bose. A similar setup with a decent receiver and speakers could easily be had for about half the price, IMO.

I also tend to refrain from demoing anything at Sears.

5. Ken Garrison

Yeah. Bose is WAY TOO overpriced. Those little cube speakers seem to be a little squawkey at some point. They seem to have a very cold sound to them. I have a set of KLH 970As for my front speaker, rewired oversized computer speakers in the back, a KLH Passive bass reflector module, and a Sherwood HTR-250 Dolby Pro-Logic system. This setup don't sound very bad and it hardly cost me a thing.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

If you liked the sound of the Bose, I think you should see this:
    http://www.intellexual.net/boseframes.html
    In my humble opinion, there are much better speakers out there for a lot less money. Cambridge Soundworks, PSB, Paradigm, NHT, all make small speakers that will blow Bose away.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ken,
    Don't buy Bose! I realize you were impressed with the Bose set-up, but you really need to spend some time listening to "real" speakers, of which there are many relative to Bose. Bose is junk. Plain and simple. As the old expression goes, "Friends don't let friends buy Bose", and Ken, you have a lot of friends here. [​IMG]
    Kevin,
    I couldn't get your link to work.

8. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

my 5.1 setup costs less than half of the 3-2-1. yamaha htr-5440 and JBL scs135si speakers. it sounds much better too.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, realistically, it doesn't take much to beat the Bose 3-2-1 system. Many cheaper systems will kill it. You did well with your money. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Ken Garrison

Well, I was impressed with the Bose 3-2-1 system. It's only good when you are standing right there in the sweet spot. BUT I WON'T BUY ONE! I'm staying away from BOSE. The thing that did impressed me with the 3-2-1 system is that I could almost see the race cars driving past me as they were driving off the TV Screen. Like I said, I still prefer a REAL DTS/Dolby Digital 5.1 system. I'm happy with my Prologic for now. Don't have the money for a 5.1 system right now. I saw a SONY 5.1 DTS/Dolby Digital surround system in a box for $300 at Wal Mart also. That's what I might get. That's good for a starter. Hey, if it's from SONY, it oughta be good.

BTW, WhyTF is BOSE so DAMN Expensive when other systems out there sound WAY better for cheaper. Know what? I'll fire them an email later and find out.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ken, I would be interested to see what kind of response you get from Bose. Bose is a marketing machine, and they prey upon people who do little research and are impressed with style. Bose products have a unique style, so many who know nothing about audio or home theater like Bose products because they look good. There is a lot of fluff behind their marketing, which sucks in the unsuspecting. Walk into a Bose store and look for the hollowed out speaker with the confetti circulating to simulate the "unique" airflow. Bose is preying upon the gullible who will look at such a demo and go, "Wow! Oooohhh! Aaaaaah!". [​IMG] If you ask the average guy on the street to name a high-end audio company, the most likely answer you will get is "Bose." [​IMG] I have met many people who have conveyed to me that Bose makes quality products. Not surprisingly, these are people who have done no research and are very casual about their music and movie interest.

12. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

13. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Ken,

If you can afford the 3.2.1 system at its bloated 999.00 msrp - which Bose claims ALMOST gives you 5.1 sound with only two speakers, you could get a very good starter system for under one thousand dollars. How's this....

Denon 1403 or Onkyo 500 - 275.00
    JBL NSP-1 package - 225.00
    Panasonic RP-82 or Toshiba 4800 - 220.00
    JBL PB-10 subwoofer - 200.00

Your total for this system should be around 1,000.00 once you include wire and cables/shipping. You will get an entry level receiver from one of the best names in audio - which by all accounts should be excellent, a REAL Dvd video and AUDIO player with progressive scan, and lastly, a full 5.1 set-up with VERY GOOD speakers and a very nice subwoofer. There's no ALMOST, you will be enjoying real discrete surround sound from all angles. I assure you that the Bose system couldn't even compare to what I have just given here. Others here could put together similar systems for even less, and they would still trump all over Bose.

Reg

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, excellent point. It is amazing how easy it is to put together a system for the same money or less than a Bose system that will trounce a Bose system. To beat Bose, I have literally told people to buy any components by Pioneer, Sony, Onkyo, Denon, etc. and speakers by an equally well-known manufacturer to give a package that will total out to the same or less money.

You outlined a very good system for the money. Although not as good as good as what you listed, I would take a home-theater-in-a-box over that Bose 3-2-1 system.

15. Mike-grouse

Mike-grouse Stunt Coordinator

THe technology bose is touting isn't new. In fact it's just playing with stereo sound like Q Sound did in the early 90s and still does today.
    I hear surround information in 2 channel mode now. Doesn't mean I'm going to throw out my other speakers.
    What is Q-Sound, simply put... it's imaging just like 2 channel stereo except the signal has increased out of phase material to make it seem more enveloping. It relies on proper placement and a center seating area. Musicians like Madonna have used it a live concerts as well.
    10 years old technology and if you include stereo, 60 year old technology revamped by bose. Things definitely aren't what they appear.
    If you want to setup you current stereo to preform the same function check out www.htadvice.com 's on setup section to find out how to place your speakers correctly. Unless you already know.
    I'm a strict believer in not paying for what you already have.
    hope this helps.

16. Ken Garrison

I don't like that Q SOUND crap that's on some stereos today. I think it sounds like shit. Q Sound and Sensura. It's all shit. With my 2 channel system in my bedroom with the old 8 Track when I'm watching a movie, I can still hear the surround effects behind me. Who needs that 3D enhancement shit when all it does is make it worse. Anyway, I'm gonna fire an email to Bose and let them know how I feel and why I won't buy their equipment.

17. DanielKim

DanielKim Stunt Coordinator

We get a lot of returns on the 3-2-1 system. All I can say is, it's a steaming pile. The unit uses a computer DVD-ROM and comes with like 90 gauge wires (not really 90, more like 24). I feel for people that buy them.

Dan

18. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Daniel,

Computer DVD-ROM drives have distinct advantages over conventional drives. Meridian makes very expensive, outstanding performing CD and DVD players with DVD-ROM drives. Regards.

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bill, I agree. The DVD-ROM drive is not necessarily a bad thing. However, those thin wires would have me concerned. I would not be at all surprised it the build quality under the hood of the 3-2-1 system were lacking for the price of the system. It is Bose after all.

20. DanielKim

DanielKim Stunt Coordinator

I also read before that Meridian used DVD-ROMs and was surprised that they would use a $60 part for extraction. I guess its hard to get what you really pay for in this industry.