What's new

Olympics Opening Ceremonies (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I thought the ceremonies were pretty good over all.

Here are some thoughts.

The flag should not have been part of the opening ceremonies. While the Olympics have always been a source of national pride for the host country the flag was a political a statement and the Olympics are suppose to be above politics.

By the way, while the 36 games were very nationalistic, I don't think they were any more political then any other games before or since.

Now for a statement that many will probably disagree with. I think that Eric Heiden should have been the torch lighter.

I guess it all comes down to personal preferences. I have always viewed the Olympics in terms of individual athletes competing against one another. The team sports don't really do much for me when it comes to the Olympic games.

Since Heiden is arguably the greatest winter Olympian that the US has produced he should have been the one to light the torch.

brian a

Second Unit
What was with Steve Young carrying the flag for the UK?

brianca

and you can count my vote for keeping the flag out of the games

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
I believe Steve Young was carrying the sign that said "Great Britain", not the flag. The Brits may have asked him to do it, as he's a Mormon and was probably in the area.

Mark_HD

Grip
... (even though i highly disagree with NBC's delayed HDTV broadcast) i'm going to vote for the whole ceremony on high definition. just an awsome experience! ... especially being able to see the cuts in the ice from the blades and the water cascading in the Olympic torch. ; ) (didn't even notice during the live event on cable).

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
By the way, while the 36 games were very nationalistic, I don't think they were any more political then any other games before or since.
I am curious, I attributed people's complaints concerning the opening ceremony to the excessive nationalism present and that was what people considered political. If nationalism doesn't count as a political statement then I would say that only the '68 (the gloves), '72 (the terrorists), and '80 Olympics (the boycott) had strong political elements. The Olympics always have a nationalistic element and they tend to favor the home country who can put more fans in the stand.

Kenneth

Gui A

Supporting Actor
So is the guy from Bermuda allright?

I mean, the guy wore SHORTS!!! (and kneesocks)

But still...

SHORTS!

what event is he competing in?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm just glad I live close enough to Canada to be able to watch the Olympics on CBC.
I agree. CBC spends a lot more time showing actual event competition than NBC ever does. If you want to watch the actual Olympics, CBC is the best way to see the events live.
As for you people complaining about Costas, McKay and company's commentary at the opening ceremonies, you should have heard the two clowns doing the broadcast on the HDTV side. They were very bad. I did learn that Argentina had produced 4 Miss Americas (I didn't know they were part of the U.S.) and that a lot of athletes still live in someplace called the Soviet Union. :laugh:

Alex S

Second Unit
The old guy is Jim McKay, not only famous for ABC Wide World of Sports but for the Olympics! He's hosted many of them for ABC.
Boy did he get old but his voice is still pretty good.
He adds some class to the show.
I can't stand Couric but Costas is ok.
Overall, I thought it was one of the better opening ceremonies I've seen.
:emoji_thumbsup: for President Bush.
It was great seeing him down there with the atheletes instead of watching from above. I was LOL when he took the cell phone call.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks