What's new

3D Its not Blu-ray, but Panasonic and NBC are going to have over 240 hours of 3D Olympic coverage (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
NBC OLYMPICS & PANASONIC ANNOUNCE NEARLY
80 PERCENT OF U.S. TV HOUSEHOLDS WILL RECEIVE
HIGH-DEFINITION 3D BROADCAST FEED OF THE
LONDON 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES

AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Cox Communications, DirecTV, Time Warner Cable and Verizon among many cable, satellite and telco providers offering
3D Olympic Games coverage

SECAUCUS, NJ (July 20, 2012) – NBC Olympics, a division of the NBC Sports Group and Panasonic Corporation of North America today announced that the first-ever 3D coverage of the Olympic Games, beginning in London later this month, will be available to subscribers of MVPD’s (multichannel video programming distributors) representing nearly 80% of U.S. TV households. The daily 3D programming, which will be shown on next-day delay, will be carried by many cable, satellite and telco providers such as such as Armstrong, AT&T, Blue Ridge, Bright House Networks, Cablevision, Comcast, Cox Communications, DIRECTV, Insight, Mediacom, RCN, Suddenlink, Time Warner Cable, Verizon, and WideOpen West.

These carriers will distribute roughly 242 hours of the 3D broadcasts via the Media Center. Panasonic is NBC Olympics’ exclusive Flat-Panel HDTV and Blu-ray Disc Player advertiser for the London Olympic Games.

“We are pleased that nearly 80 percent of U.S. TV households will receive the incomparable clarity and performance of the first-ever 3D production of the Olympic Games,” said Joseph M. Taylor, Chairman & CEO, Panasonic Corporation of North America. “Panasonic’s 3D technology and NBC Olympics’ superb, moment-by-moment coverage of the Games will make the events more engaging to viewers as they watch their favorite athletes compete.”

The 3D broadcasts will be produced by Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) and will include some of the most-anticipated events of the Games, including:
Opening and Closing Ceremonies
Men’s and Women’s gymnastics
Extensive coverage from the Aquatic Center, including both diving and swimming
Bicycle racing (cycling) from the Velodrome
Full coverage of track & field from the Olympic Stadium

NBC Olympics will provide 12 hours of U.S.-oriented 3D programming every day, introduced by Bob Costas and featuring both competitive highlights from the previous day as well as the best moments of the Games to-date. Viewers who watch the award-winning primetime coverage on NBC will have the opportunity to go back and relive their favorite events as never before – in Full HD 3D.

Olympic Broadcasting Services will capture the Games using Panasonic’s state-of-the-art 3D production technologies and fully-integrated twin-lens Full HD 3D camera recorder products. A taste of what’s in store can be sampled at retail outlets everywhere, where Panasonic 3D televisions will be displaying amazing 3D footage of the memorable Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

About NBC Olympics
A division of the NBC Sports Group, NBC Olympics is responsible for producing, programming and promoting NBCUniversal's Olympic coverage. It is renowned for its unsurpassed Olympic heritage, award-winning production, and ability to aggregate the largest audiences in U.S. television history.
Having produced every Summer Olympics since Seoul in 1988 and every Winter Olympics since Salt Lake City in 2002, the networks of NBCUniversal are synonymous with the Games in the United States. In 2011, NBCUniversal acquired the U.S. media rights on all platforms to the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics, the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, and the 2020 Summer Olympics. At the conclusion of the 2020 Games, NBCUniversal will have presented 17 total Olympic Games and 11 consecutive, the most for a U.S. media company in both categories.
NBC has won an unprecedented 91 Emmy Awards for its Olympics coverage, as well as a prestigious Peabody Award for its presentation of the Beijing Opening Ceremony in 2008, which USA Today said was “the best overall Olympic experience ever provided by a U.S. network.”
In addition to its unsurpassed heritage and award-winning production, NBCUniversal is known for aggregating large Olympic audiences, as nine of the top 11 most-watched U.S. television events of all time are Olympic Games presented across the networks of NBCUniversal. The Beijing Summer Olympics rank No. 1 with 215 million viewers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I certainly intend to utilize my 3-D setup with DirecTV. I'm really looking forward to it.

Crawdaddy

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Absolutely! I'm glad my cable provider is actually providing 3D.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I just picked up the Verizon FiOS 3D-capable set top box and found the Olympics 3D channel. I'm ready for next Friday!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I don't know from cable cards, but if I can get it in 3-D I'll certainly watch some of it.

I guess I'll need to ask Comcast about that?

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I'll be watching the opening and closing ceremonies in 3D, but as a resident of the UK in the full expectation that it will be the most cringemakingly embarrassing, awful experience imaginable.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Robert Crawford said:
I certainly intend to utilize my 3-D setup with DirecTV.  I'm really looking forward to it.
Crawdaddy
Do you have to pay extra for 3D from DirecTV?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Mark Oates said:
I'll be watching the opening and closing ceremonies in 3D, but as a resident of the UK in the full expectation that it will be the most cringemakingly embarrassing, awful experience imaginable.
...Aw, leave your Cycling team out of this! :P
Seriously, if I had a box (instead of plugging my local cable directly into my QAM tuner) and could get PPV channels, I'd be making serious investments in this--
NOT just because of 3D Olympics (which I don't usually watch except for the opening ceremonies), but because 3D broadcast live sports/arts in North America is the first step on the road to acceptance, like HDTV was able to achieve in the early days.
3DTV's still paying for the crimes of bad Dreamworks movies on overpriced Blu-ray, but that's because the public is still putting 3D in the context of bad overpriced current theater movies...And not as simply another form of TV, like HD vs. SD or Color vs. B/W.
The few 3D channels we've had have lingered in obscurity because they didn't have a backer like NBC, Universal or the Olympics to pay their bills and see that they stay afloat. This's really the first "big break" for broadcast 3-D, and the format needs it for wider acceptance as badly as it needs House of Wax. :cool:
(There is also the issue of Women's Gymnastics in 3-D, but I leave that to your own imagination... :D )

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell /t/322434/its-not-blu-ray-but-panasonic-and-nbc-are-going-to-have-over-240-hours-of-3d-olympic-coverage#post_3951925
Do you have to pay extra for 3D from DirecTV?

No extra payments.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mark Oates said:
There's been enough whinging in the UK media (a British disease) about the Olympics. Let's be positive.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Douglas R /t/322434/its-not-blu-ray-but-panasonic-and-nbc-are-going-to-have-over-240-hours-of-3d-olympic-coverage#post_3952041
There's been enough whinging in the UK media (a British disease) about the Olympics. Let's be positive.

Well to be fair there is a few things worth whinging about, be it the security mess up or the so called Team GB football team which doesn't have a single Scottish player in it despite the fact our Under 21 team is talented and has done as well as the English Under 21 team in recent years, now before you say it was picked fair and square, i'm not so certain it was and it does drive a divide between the home nations at a time when we should be working together for success when this sort of thing happens, how can i get behind a Team GB that i feel has been picked unfairly despite what Stuart Pearce says.

Of course the English media was so obsessed about the exclusion of David Beckham that they didn't even consider the exclusion of Scot's ( or Northern Irish ) football players, also the media in the south think we are all poor which isn't true and an examination of Under 21 results prove this but no doubt many will believe we were excluded because others were better, gee aren't i whinging something awful tonight.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
FoxyMulder said:
Well to be fair there is a few things worth whinging about,
gee aren't i whinging something awful tonight. :chatter:
Not the least of which things being, the North American English word is "whining". With no G.
If you've heard someone whine, you'll know why. I don't know what a "whinge" is, but it sounds like it comes from a hardware store.
(I mean, when was the last time you heard someone say "Want some cheese with that whinge?")

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
There's a subtle difference. We also have "to whine" as a verb. The difference is that whining usually expects sympathy and alleviation of the problem where whinging has no expectation of improvement.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Ejanss /t/322434/its-not-blu-ray-but-panasonic-and-nbc-are-going-to-have-over-240-hours-of-3d-olympic-coverage#post_3952239
Not the least of which things being, the North American English word is "whining". With no G.
If you've heard someone whine, you'll know why. I don't know what a "whinge" is, but it sounds like it comes from a hardware store.
(I mean, when was the last time you heard someone say "Want some cheese with that whinge?")

Here's another word we Brits use, fairy cakes, i can't imagine going into a store in North America and asking for fairy cakes but we sell them over here, you call them cup cakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks