What's new

Old Nick Shows (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to know what Gord has to say about this. With Gord's site, does Gord have the power to poke and prod at the companies?
I don't know that I'd call it "power". Gord, can ask the studios if they have any plans for this kind of stuff, and see what kind of reaction he gets when asking about it, but its not like he can make them release these shows...and I guess it would also depend on his contacts at the studio...at best he could ask about this stuff, and see what they say.

The old Nick stuff, I'm convinced is a potential moneymaker if done the right way. Its not just relegated to discussions on the internet, I know way too many people that I've come across in my own life that have their list of favorites they'd gladly buy on DVD. Perhaps they could do something with the brand name, and call the releases the Classic Nickelodeon collection...sort of like what Warner is doing with the HB cartoons. Maybe even produce a limited number of the sets with the idea of once their gone their gone...figuring maybe at best they'd only sell 100,000 copies if that.

Find away to do this in a manner that would benefit the cult fans, and the studio itself, and I'm all over it.

I'm just tossing out suggestions here.

The biggest question is, what shows would do the best and thus need to be released first? I mean we all have those that we'd want, but I'm thinking that "Today's special" while one of my favorites might not sell very well, even if produced in limited quantities.

Plus, Paramount owns a lot of these properties, but I don't think they own them all, or have distribution for all of them for that matter.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
A Limited Edition Release is corporate poison. Here's how I think this is true. First off.... no one can bracket the life of an entity. Let's say that they had released the first season of M*A*S*H with only 100,000 expected to sell. And let's say.. that the entire Limited amount sells completely within one week... what then?

Then lets say the public finds out about it... and throws a fit because not enough customers were able to buy the desired product?

See what I mean? I know there are different angles and different avenues to this topic. I'm sure there is.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I hardly think that Salute Your Shorts or Hey Dude would sell nearly as well as M*A*S*H. They'd be lucky to sell 10,000 copies.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
had released the first season of M*A*S*H with only 100,000 expected to sell. And let's say.. that the entire Limited amount sells completely within one

week... what then?
I highly doubt that they'd move almost as many units in 1 week as all in the family has moved in 2 years.

Besides this works out pretty well for the Walt Disney Treasures, released in a limited number and even announced as such ahead of time.

The company could either choose to publicize the limited release factor or not, but hey there are DVDs that I want that are out of print...so I had to deal with it. Of course, I doubt the public outcry potential as brought up in your scenario is likely, in fact I'd say the chances of most people caring is remote.

Supporting Actor
Cousin Skeeter!!!!!

The Walt Disney Treasures are OUT OF PRINT! I'm going to open up a can of Armageddon.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Count me in for wanting Mysterious Cities of Gold on DVD in the worst way. I was badly addicted to this show when I was younger. Are You Afraid of the Dark? is also on my want list.

Supporting Actor
Clarissa Explains It All.... Eureka's Castle (call me young at heart)... The Elephant Show.

I can't believe I just said I'd buy those two... but come on.... it's a piece of our childhood....

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Adventures of Pete & Pete
This would sell extremely well- especially if cameos were touted-- Stipe, Iggy Pop, Luscious Jackson, Hunter S. Thompson, Kate Pierson, Debbie Harry, Janeane Garofalo, LL Cool J, Steve Buscemi, etc.
This show has a big online following- and bootleg dvds sell like hotcakes.
I think it would be a good one to start with, as it has a rabid following.
-V

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I wasn't following this thread at all. I don't have any contacts at Nick right now, but the TV-DVD conference is coming up in just over a week, so who knows who I'll meet there. Maybe I'll just jump on a chair and start screaming "Nickelodeon person...come see meeeeeee!"

Gord

Supporting Actor
Maybe I'll just jump on a chair and start screaming "Nickelodeon person...come see meeeeeee!"
That might help Gord.... you never know.

I don't know which classic nick show should be released first. Hopefully Rugrats in Season Sets.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Rugrats would make the most sense for a premiere release since that is the big Nick toon right now. You can actually do both it and All Growed Up right around the same time.

For me, yeah, Cities of Gold, David the Gnome, Hey Dude, virtually anything that was on the network heading into the mid 90s would draw me like a magnet.

Jarrod Hines

Stunt Coordinator
I actually made ZIM and Doug DVDs for myself from Nick's digital cartoon station. I'd buy A LOT of Nick's old shows on DVD if I had the chance (providing they were released in season sets), and I'm pretty darn picky about my purchases.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I would certainly pick up Hey Dude on DVD if it was released. I watched the show somewhat regularly in the early 90's and I'd love to see it again.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I'll just jump on a chair and start screaming "Nickelodeon person...come see meeeeeee!"
Doing this might have helped get you noticed at last year's event...but the second time around they might be wise to you...only kidding Gord! When is this coming up? I remember last year, and a lot of cool stuff coming out of it...especially all that Paramount news, and I'm sure Paramount would be the distribution arm for some of the Nick stuff.

I'd say if they do this, they should start with something like Rugrats, it makes a lot of sense to start with a high profile release.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
The conference is next Tuesday, Oct 19th.

Nick doesn't own all the stuff that aired on the network, but they probably own a lot of it.

Gord

Supporting Actor
Yes, I love the Angry Beavers. Rugrats makes the most sense to me since it's also my favorite Nicktoon.

Nickelodeon has already released Spongebob Squarepants on DVD in Season Sets. But then that's not necessarily "classic nick" is it? No.

Let's see... my favorite nickelodeon shows are Ren & Stimpy.... wait a minute, all of us are talking about Nickelodeon releasing "classic nick" and suggesting that we all start with Rugrats... Ren & Stimpy is a nickelodeon show.... right? So, Nick has already started their "classic nick" collection with Ren & Stimpy.

The thought of having unedited episodes of Rugrats? Get real.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
I'd definitly buy up ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE dvds. Delightfully wacky, surreal show, a good replacement for Ren and Stimpy (though they did overlap by about a year or so, I think).

Would consider Pete and Pete.

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
how about Mr. wizards world???

thats another classic......and Todays Special..I think this one came on after Pinwheel(a staple inmy house)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks