What's new

Old camera help needed (1 Viewer)

Danny R

Supporting Actor
I've got an old video camera that I want to hook up. However I'm unsure what the outputs are exactly for, and can't find any manuals anymore.

The device is a Panasonic TV Camera, model WV-1550.

On the back are three BNC connections.

The top is labeled "VD"

The middle is labeled "HD/VS"

The bottom is labeled "Video"

Ok, so how can I use this thing? The Video port had a BNC cable attached, so I believe it was what was used previously for just video. Will getting a BNC->RCA adaptor allow me to plug this into a common video display such as a TV, VCR, etc?

And I wonder what the other ports for? Wondering if these could be connected to a Component input with all three outputs, or two of these be combined to allow S-video to work using a BNC->SVideo connector?

I'm hoping someone who's had lots of experience with video camera's might recognize the labels and help me out on how they might be used. Thanks.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Well, with the "video" out plug you should be able to see video on your monitor once you hook up the BNC/RCA adapter. Sounds like you have an old pro or industrial camera there...is it a camcorder? I don't know if you have just a head there....in which case the other outputs you mention might have been for connecting to the recorder...

The only thing searches turn up are 1989 references that it was used in a visual study...so this is indeed an old old camera...it may even have tubes instead of ccds...does it?

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Its tightly sealed in a black box, so I would guess that its not tubes. Wouldn't they need ventilation?

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Well, I don't know if the old plumicon tubes needed as much ventilation as say a 2A3 or similar audio tube (assuming it even has tubes) but you're right they may have needed just a little, and a sealed box seems to indicate CCDs.

I can't find anything on the net at all...or on Panny's website. Does it have a power hookup somewhere? If not I'm thinking one of those hookups is for power, and the other may be for communication with the recorder.

Have you been able to power it up at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks