What's new

Ok, what pair of speakers to get? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Lofgren

Stunt Coordinator
In another thread it seemed to be the majority opinion that instead if an HTB I should just spend the money for a pair of better speakers. OK, what should I get? I'm still just thinking, but the HTB was about $400 so I'm looking for something that much or less. I would then just use an old receiver I have until I had enough money to get a 5.1 receiver and add some speakers. I'm not too worried about deep base as I'm sure I will get a subwoofer to help that. It seems that if I spend enough time here I may end up with several. I've been looking at these:
http://www.norh.com/products/norh4/index.html
http://axiomaudio.com/1M22.html
I thought this http://www.audioreview.com/audio101/diyspeaker/
might be fun to try, and the reviews have been good.
The only other company I've been looking at is Paradigm, but I'm not sure which of their speakers would fit in my price range. Also, I could get two pairs of Axiom M3's or Paradigm Titans or something for the same $400. Would that be a better use of my money?( Keep in mind that I live in northern Minnesota and can go to Canada to get a better deal on the Paradigms or Axioms.) Again, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
[Edited last by Jonathan Lofgren on September 17, 2001 at 11:32 PM]

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well if the DIY looks fun to you, check out the Adire Kit281. It's $340 USD for a pair. This includes everything but the cabinet. The advanced section of this forum will also lead you to a meriad of other DIY speaker kits to choose from.
It has been receiving rave reviews from those on several forums (including the advanced section of this forum). Adire should soon have their center channel kit out as well.
I'm in the opposite boat as you. While the KIT281 offers a great value to you, after you factor in shipping, brokerage fees, taxes and cabinet materials in, it adds up to what I could get Paradigm Reference Studio series speakers for, for me.
------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

Jonathan Lofgren

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering about prices for the Paradigm speakers in Canada. I found a canadian web-site that had Axiom prices, but none for Paradigm. Would you happen to know the prices for say a set of Titans, Phantoms, and Studio 20s? I would appreciate it. I'll check into the Adire kit and see how it looks. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The only one of those I've looked into is the Studio 20. Full MSRP at my local dealer is $799 CDN (or about $520 USD). However, with a little haggling a 25% discount should be easily had at this dealer, so they would cost me about $600 CDN (or about $390 USD).
------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

Jonathan Lofgren

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, that was quick. So if I could do it right and found a sale I might be able to fit the Studio 20s into my budget. Thanks again. Canadian companies can definitely make speakers.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan,
Talk with Marc at Audioshop (audioshop.on.ca) regarding the prices on some M3s. He's a great guy to deal with and can make some recommendations. I think I got my pair of M3s for around $200 (pre-shipping). You also may be able to get some blems for cheaper.
IMHO, I think they're a nice sounding little speaker. If you get a chance to audition them, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you factor in price/value.
Ron

John Gates

Second Unit
Jonathan,
You certainly seem to be barking up the right trees. I have not heard the Axiom speaker line, but they have a devoted following and are a very strong contender in this price range.
I own the nOrh 4.0's, and I have not heard a better $400 pair of speakers. Won't go below 65 hz, but if you are looking to add a sub, this shouldn't be a problem.
Ascend accoustics is getting very good reviews, but I'm not sure of the prices on those.
Another to look at, if you can go as high as $500, is the AV-Reality Tetra. These are $500/pair and use SCANSPEAK drivers!! The scanspeaks are widely regarded as some of the best drivers around, and to find them in a $500 pair of speaks is, well, unheard-of. I have not heard these, but they should be very good with those drivers (assuming you have a good quality amp, etc). These will probably also reveal the need for further upgrades if you have low-end source equipment.
I'll try to post a link for AV-Reality later if you're interested.
Have fun!
John

John Gates

Second Unit
Here is the link for the AV-Reality Tetra:
http://www.acoustic-reality.com/us_entry.htm
yum.gif
yum.gif
yum.gif
yum.gif
yum.gif

John

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I love my ceramic norh 4.0s. I may never feel the desire to upgrade. Even after hearing the norh 9.0 and Reality 3D I am absolutely content with the 4.0 (paired with an SVS subwoofer.)
Any of the speakers you're considering in this thread would completely embarrass a HTiB system. I applaud your willingness to piece together a quality system over time. Its cheaper in the long run to do it right the first time than to buy cheap and end up replacing everything later. Plus the anticipation is half of the fun.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Jonathan,
Your post doesn't make it clear if you are going to spend the $400.00 on all 5 speakers or just the mains. I would like to suggest you consider the Swan's Diva 2.1's for mains at $400.00 the pair and then move them to the rear when you can afford to upgrade. The site is www.AV123.com. These are exraordinary speakers.
Good Luck,
Russ

Jonathan Lofgren

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all again for quick replies. I think most of the speakers I've been looking at have provided a good "bang for the buck", but it's nice to have you guys support that and offer other suggestions. I know the best way is to listen before you buy, but some of the speakers are impossible to listen to, and none are exceptionally easy.
Russell, I was mostly talking about the mains, but was thinking aloud that I could get two pairs of the highly rated Titans or M3s for the same price as the other speakers. Sorry if this was confusing.
[Edited last by Jonathan Lofgren on September 18, 2001 at 09:54 AM]

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Jonothan were in minnesota are you? I'm in winnipeg and can easily point you to a few dealers here that are very good to work with regarding Paradigm pricing (actually all canadain made speakers incl Energy etc. Of course I have to mention that the http://www.magnepan.com

BryanZ

Screenwriter
If your serious about the DIY, you may even want to consider the DIY version of the ACI Opal. It will be extremely hard for you to go wrong with any of the speakers listed here. You may even want to see if you can get a pair of these used. Try looking at www.harmonicdiscord.com for example or even the hardware for sale section here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks