Ok Want to Rebuild a new Sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrandonL, May 10, 2001.

1. BrandonL

BrandonL Stunt Coordinator

Not too long ago (5months) I built a sub using a Swan something with an Apex Jr. Amp in rectangular box I made. Now I want to try something that will give me tight bass (plus I got a better paying intern). I was hoping to maybe build a Sonosub if that would be most cost effective. If I was able to build a box just using a Jigsaw and drill, can I make a Sonosub with the same tools? I did the circle with a jogsaw and followed my compass markings. What is a reasonably good driver and amp to use, and are there still any deals (last time someone recommended I buy a Shiva driver and there was some discount). Just in case, I am running an Onkyo 575x might upgrade later, a 27inch Wega, and my 3 fronts are the Audioreview.com Speakers with 2 Polk Rears. I am really looking for the kind of bass that kicks you, no boom whatsoever. What I madebefore gives me a pretty decent kick but I know I can do better the second time around. Please suggestions wanted. =) Oh yeah this is for a bedroom, so about 20 by 15 feet roughly.

2. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

cost effective?... if you can find someone to split the cost of the tube, or find a supplier who will sell you just the length you need. a sheet of mdf is about $15. tube will cost more depending if the supplier makes you buy a whole stick (but if you wanted to build more than one, then yer in like flynn). i think i paid like $50 for a 10' tube.
    same tools as a box?... yes, but circles are so much easier and accurate with a router and a jig.
    good driver and amp?... tons, they are all over this board.
    sounds like the equipment you listed is a pretty nice bedroom setup. how low and how loud and how big can you afford/fit? answer this first. if you havent already, check out the "sonotube project link". i now yield the floor to patrick, hehe. [​IMG]

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Hello? Someone say my name?
    Brandon, do give a size/dimension constraint as well as budget. Can't really do much until then...
    I can't imagine doing the circular endcaps without a router and circle jig. You can try and rig up circle jig with a jigsaw, but I don't think you'll be happy with the aesthetics of the results.
    ------------------
    PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; LDs

4. BrandonL

I didn't even realize about cutting the endcaps into circles. Hmm I would have to the attachment for my jigswa to cut a circle then. Hopefully that would work. Well I am hoping to spend around $100 for the driver and no more than $200 for the amp. I probly have enough mdf left over from messing around using it for other things. I wouldnt be able to pay for all this till about 2-3 weeks so I have some time to get familiar with what I need to look for.
    Size wise, I dont want it to be taller than 2.5 feet if possible. I did like the pictures where the person used it as a coffee table, that would be a nice height.
    Another question is, is there a link to making the sonotube? Because I was looking at the links last night and they are mostly pictures, but no real instructions on what is needed.

5. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

click on the sonosub links in patrick's signature

6. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

>Not too long ago (5months) I built a sub using a Swan something with an Apex Jr. Amp in rectangular box I made. Now I want to try something that will give me tight bass
    =====
    Details please, as the alignment determines how 'tight' it is. I've built many a sub, fullrange speakers using the 305, and all were 'tight'.
    GM
    ------------------
    Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

7. BrandonL

Ahh explain to me what you mean by alignment? Maybe that can help, if possible it seems like it would be easier for me to build a better cube box, the one I made before is more of a rectangular shape.

8. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

The alignment is based on the cab volume/tuning (Fb), so what is yours?
    Assuming a