The 650$ receiver showdown

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Dayton, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

Ok folks I am a complete newbie trying to put together his first HT system. I have finally decided to go with the Energy Take 5.2 system with S8.2 sub due to all its glowing reviews and fits right into my budget for speakers. Now I am down to the reciever selection again and want to keep it in budget between 600 to 700$ internet price and has to do PL 2 also. This is what I have come up with HK AVR 520, Onkyo DS 696, Denon 2802, Marantz SR 6200

Yamaha HTR 5490. Now from what I have read around here and at AVS the Onkyo has a good remote but other say that Onkyo quality is crap. HK is supposed to have a better more natural sound reproduction but HK recievers are not the best for price performance value. Denon 2802 has crappy remote and hard to set up but runs like a champ after its up and runnin. Marantz quality is suppose to be crap. Yamaha, I dont recall reading anything good or bad about Yamaha. Right now at the moment I am in the middle of the fence between the Denon 2802 and the Onkyo 696. Now I would love all you HT tech heads feedback on this. I am not planning to constantly upgrade this sytem but want to get a couple years life out of it them totaly rebuild from scratch again 2 years down the road when I am in a new home and will just transfer this existing system into a den. TIA

Sean

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I picked up my SR6200 for $599 locally, and I am very happy with it. Sound quality for music is better than any you have listed, and the amps are more than up to the task. I actually compared it to the 3802, and chose the 6200. 520 was not around, but also costs more. I haven't heard of quality problems with Onkyo either.

Personally, I'd say LISTEN to them, check out features, and get the one you like.

The 6200 comes with a crappy, but programmable remote. I bought a RC2000 MkII to replace it.

3. Barry_R

Barry_R Stunt Coordinator

Sean, I agree with John. Listen to them, then find one with the sound and features that you like and go with that. In doing my research I found good and bad things about all of them. I found that some people liked this and some liked that (beware of those that just flame, unless there is some consistency in the complaints from a number of people). This forum is great for doing research, but remember that all people like different things.

I went with the Yamaha HTR-5490 because it had the best combination of sound and features for what I liked. I also heard a lot of good comments on this forum about the Yamaha's. I also looked at the Onkyo and Denon and you probably won't go wrong with either one. The best advice is compare, compare, compare.

Good Luck. Barry.

4. Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri Stunt Coordinator

Sean - If you do mostly movies then I'd go with the Yamaha RX-V1200 (same as the 5490 only more beef and some nice extra features for the price difference there's no reason to go 5490) If you like the Onkyo get into the Integra line 5.2 or 6.2, again better build. If you do more music the Marantz is tough to beat. But go listen to them.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've not heard anyone call the Onkyo "crap". I think it's generally well-regarded.
    I've got the 696 and really enjoy it. People generally rave about Denon receivers.
    I think you will be happy with any of the receivers you are considering. [​IMG]

6. Sean Dayton

Thanks for all your input. I ended up going with the Onkyo 696 due to its ease of setup and better remote while the Denon 2802 seems to be a better buy for features for price.

Sean

7. ChrisMM

ChrisMM Auditioning

Sean,

I just went with the Denon 2802. Was able to buy from an Authorized dealer online for about $625.

Good luck!

8. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I bought the Denon 2802. I got it for $675 at a local authorized dealer (not as good a deal as Chris above got, but not bad). I didn't find the setup to be difficult, but I'm still not used to the remote. At one point though, I thought about exchanging it because it doesn't have enough bandwidth for component video switching (only 27Mhz), but then I decided to just connect my DVD and STB directly to the TV. [​IMG]
    Whatever you decide, all those receivers are good choices.
    Vlad

9. Chris Trot

Chris Trot Stunt Coordinator

You might want to check into the Outlaw 1050, I just purchased one and think it's superb, the build quality is incredible.

10. Barry_R

Barry_R Stunt Coordinator

Scott, Out of curiosity, what did you pay for the RXV-1200 ? I might have gone with the 1200 as well since it seemed to have a little bit more to it, but it was over $200 more.

Barry.

11. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

If you know anyone at Circuit City you can get the Onkyo 898 for around 750-800 I believe. Not bad huh.

12. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I was in the same boat around xmas time and I went with the HK520. From all my research, I determined that Marantz sounded the best, HK was second, then denon and onkyo. I wasn't going to take the chance on the Marantz (which I would have bought) since they are having quality problems, so I went with the HK. I had read that the HK500 had some problems and most were fixed with the 510. Anything that was wrong with the 510 has been fixed in the 520 so I felt confident that the HK520 would be rock solid (and it has been so far). Granted you get more features for your money with the Denon, but at this point I don't want or need 6 channels and the 520 gives you the option to add a 6th or 7th with a seperate amp, so there's no real loss in features there.

If i had to do it over again, I would still pick the HK first, so there's my suggestion. I got it for $610 plus shipping from JandR.com. $650 is their regular price and the 320 is $499. Shipping was $26 and they are authorized by HK. Good luck!

13. Sean Dayton

Does the HK 520 have the same componet video switching problem as the Denon 2802 ? If my Onkyo 696 does not work out for me, I will probally try a HK 520. Also what sales rep at [email protected] do I need to ask for to get these good deals everybody claims to get from [email protected], When I ordered the 696 I tried to get the rep to come down in price but he would not budge and could only price match against a authorized internet dealer. I ended up paying 670$ shipped price but I feal that I could do better if I knew the ext # of the right sales rep a [email protected]

Sean

14. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

My rep was Simon at ext. 1017. I told him I found the HK520 for $610 at ecost.com and he said, well they aren't an authorized dealer. Then he said, the best I can do is, $610 (which was the price on ecost) plus the $26 for shipping so I bought it. It was real easy for me. $650 is their regular price on the 520 which I would have paid anyway cause that is still a good price and they are authorized. I was buying from JandR no matter what, I was just trying to save the $40. I asked if he could do $610 shipped and he said no so I just paid the shipping. And I haven't used the video switching yet so I don't know if its a problem. I have never heard of it being a problem so I would say no. Good luck!

15. Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri Stunt Coordinator

Barry - Sorry for the delay in response. I went with the 1200 over the 5490 for acouple of reasons. First is that it is very similar to comparing Onkyo to Integra. The HTR line of Yamaha is built for sale in your main stream places. The 1200 is made with a little better components. The 1200 also has a few more features. I guess for $200 you have to be the judge whether it's worth it. I'm sure the 5490 is a fine unit. - Scott

16. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

Sean, how do you like 696?? I just bought an Energy 5.2 set myself and I'm trying to decide on a receiver. Listened to the Onkyo 595 vs. the HK220 and both were great, the HK had a little fuller midrange, while the Onkyo had a more detailed treble...But I did like the Onkyo remote better. [​IMG]