What's new

Ok to leave powered Sub-woof on? (1 Viewer)

Frank_Sk

Auditioning
I recently received my Level One speaker set from HTD which I learned about on this forum (NICE!). They sound great with my new Onkyo ds494 receiver.

So I hooked up the powered sub to the pre-sub out jack on the receiver. My question is when I turn the receiver (or put it on standby), should I always turn off the power switch on the back of the subwoofer. Or is it ok to just leave this on all the time. I don't think it shuts off automatically when I shut the receiver.

Secondly, what's the benefit of the standby setting on the receiver and is it a problem leaving it on all the time. I know it means you can still power up using the remote (which I plan to do anyway). But should I still be using the main power switch sometimes so the receiver isn't always on. Stupid questions, yes but I am learning thanks to this forum.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Frank,

I leave my sub's power permanently on - except when I go on a vacation (if I remember to put it off).

Although I generally switch my other eqipment off, it's not bad to let it on (especially in stand-by mode).

Advantages: works immediately, switching period (on and off) seems to be more hurting for the circuitry ("aging")than having it on all the time, no switching induced "spikes" from one machine to another.

Disadvantages: slightly more power use, perhaps a bit more danger of short-cut or heating accidents (if it's in a closet of enclosure which you may want to close, you'll better switch it off), could be damaged by lightning-strike while you're away (but because you would possibly not disconnect it from the mains even if you switch it off - what's the real difference?).

Hope this mainly answers your question.

Cees

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Frank,

Most powered subs do shut themselves off (or go into their own "standby") when they don't get audio signal for a period of time (usually 4-5 minutes).

I don't know that much about this unit- but I assume it will do the same automatically.

I'd check the manual, or maybe ask about it in out Speakers/Sub area to make sure, but I'd bet it's fine to leave the switch on and that it will be clicking into standby on its own.

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks