What's new

Ok, have the new house being started in MAY NEED HELP! (1 Viewer)

Steve Adams

Second Unit
I have app a 14x15 room for my theater.....

how does this sound....

Insulate the walls, (tight packed or loose packed)
5/8" plywood,
resiliant channel,
5/8 gyproc,

for wall construction.

Im thinking no subfloor.

Carpet on floor and half the wall, then 2 difusers made from 2 x 4 each side of the window and same on the ohter....and 4 wall sconces for the lighting....grey for the ceiling....black curtians for the front with screen.

Small stage to place speakers and sub.....

Discrete power source for components...8 guage wire from the pannel. the rest on anohter circut.

ANYTHING I SHOULD DO differently or upgrade on?

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Why on God's Green Earth would you want to run 8ga wire to your HT? 12ga is all that's needed for a 20 amp circuit! Even if you do run that gauge wire, you'll have to attach pigtails to connect to the outlet.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Good call on discrete power, but as above I think 8ga is overkill. 12 is all that I've ever read is necessary for a 20A circuit. Make sure there is no lighting on this circuit. Make sure the electrical and audio/video runs are not parallel, and if they have to cross do so at 90 degrees.

Have fun.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you’re going this route then I assume that soundproofing is a concern?

If so, you’ll want the adjacent wall of all rooms next to the HT to have the same construction. Never hurts to double up on the sheetrock, too.

Also, you want a heavy door that is fully sealed and airtight, just like an outside door: Weather stripping, threshold, the works.

You also might want to consider upgraded commercial or industrial outlets for the equipment.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Thanks for the information and Ideas....the 8ga wire is from my car audio days. the rule of thumb is bigger is better there...it's not uncommon to run 2ga or 1/0 ga for power in your car, which I think is overkill but 8 was like a happy medium....

I have looked at some other rooms, and I like the black ceiling...would this be too dark?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Amplifier power (wattage) is a function of both voltage and amperage. Since cars work from low voltage, a car amp requires tremendous amperage to deliver the goods. And high amperage requires large gauge wire. Even a modest car installation with only a few hundred watts would need larger wire than eight gauge.

Just the opposite at home. The voltage is high, so the required amperage for an amplifier is comparatively low. So 12 gauge wire is usually sufficient.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Thanks for clearing that up Wayne. As for the door, im going to try to get a steel Door....not sure if that's happening yet or not...i am just trying to isolate the room from the basement apt going into my house. Space is a concern, So, room within a room cannot happen. But if I can get the door, I will. Now, the house is a split level, there is a 4 ft area under the entrance stairs I am mounting my gear in a built in rack, with adjustable shelves. What should I do for ventilation? thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks