What's new

OK, good folks, does this exist?? Ever?? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I am in the process of revamping my machine, moving to BIG disk, swapping out the CDRW and DVD for a DVD RW, slab in USB 2.0, .., the works. As part of the process, I need to squeeze out another PCI slot. I thought, the obvious candidate is to find a 56K modem and ethernet combo PCI card... To my astonishment, I could not find one any place I looked. There are plenty of "mini PCI" combo cards for laptops, and also Realport ones (Cardbus/PCMCIA form factor), but no vanilla desktop PCI. So far, the only one that I've seen is SIIG has a USB 2.0, Firewire and Ethernet 10/100 combo, but at $90, it's overkill, and a little too steep (my 5 port USB 2.0 expansion cost me $16). Now the obvious solution is to buy a cheapo external 56K fax/modem, either USB or serial (this will be mainly for the very occasional fax, as I am on DSL), but, I am just curious, as I thought a 56K and ethernet combo PCI would be a no brainer...

Shane Bos

Second Unit
never seen one. I also have never used my current modem in the almost 4 years I've had it. I got cable internet when I got this machine haven't dialed up since.

RandyObert

Agent
Well to be honest with you I in my years as a tech have not seen that combo for a PC. Sound and Modem yes. My guess is that it is an impractical combo for a PC due to fact that it is possible to have both connections active at one time realistically and that would create a IRQ problem going thru 1 PCI slot such as in a shared dial up connection on a network (this is pretty common)

You have not really said what it is you have for a MB. I would probably suggest you look a bit deeper into your upgrade however. For the price of just the USB2, and 10/100 card you could have a completely new Motherboard.
It could have 6 Channel Dolby digital, 10/100, USB2, IEEE1394 Firewire, and still not a single add on card. PLUS you get the benefits of faster bus speeds etc. With the quality of these on board items now days, PCI slots sit vacant in new hotrod systems alot. My NF7-S abit has only one card, my Ti4600 AGP card.

If you can spell out what it is you have already I am sure that there is more than enough help here to guide you to the correct parts :)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen that for a PC. If there are any, they're probably very old and possibly proprietary.

I am a very big proponent of external modems. I even use an external modem with my laptop when I travel because I've found them to be far more reliable in terms of maintaining a connection and throughput than internal modems (built-in or PCMCIA) for whatever reason.

For the price of just the USB2, and 10/100 card you could have a completely new Motherboard.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The best way to do this is to buy a PCMCIA PCI card adapter, then buy yourself a PCMCIA Ethernet/Modem combo card. Of course, that will likely cost over $100!

An external modem (with RS232 port) is the best and most reliable however. Most PCI modems are "WinModems", meaning that the CPU does all the DSP work, which in turn means poor throughput and lost connections every 5 minutes, if you're lucky to get even that.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Thanks, folks. It's not something that I "need" per se. As I pointed out in my original post, I am on DSL and the modem will be for those once in a blue moon FAX thing, and for all practical purpose, a $10 EBay external modem for insurance is just fine.
More than anything else, I was surprised, as I know they have ethernet/56K combo for labtop forever, both on mini PCI as well as cardbus/PCMCIA form factor, so there really should not be any technical problem doing it for desktop, I guess there must not be any demand for it.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
My Mac Powerbook 3400 C has a built-in modem/ethernet port. You can plug either a phone line or network cable into the port, and then choose what you want the port to do. Or you can use a dongle to attach both at the same time. It was a neat idea, I'm surprised Apple stopped using it. Perhaps it was a bear to support.

I've never seen a combo card for a PC, sorry.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I have never heard anything good about any kind of USB network adapter, whether it be Ethernet or modem. Everyone that I know who has used USB for network connectivity (myself included) has had serious connection and latency problems. As soon as they went to a "real" device, the problems went away.

Be very weary of USB network connectivity.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I have never used a usb network device... glad to hear that they are a problem b4 I tried one. Thanks John

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
My Mac Powerbook 3400 C has a built-in modem/ethernet port. You can plug either a phone line or network cable into the port, and then choose what you want the port to do. Or you can use a dongle to attach both at the same time. It was a neat idea, I'm surprised Apple stopped using it. Perhaps it was a bear to support.
Yeah, I hate those newer iBooks and PowerBooks that have separate built-in modem and Ethernet jacks, and that don't give you the option of carrying around the dongle. :wink:

MikeNagy

Stunt Coordinator
I would very very strongly warn you against using a motherboard's onboard audio as the source for your HT setup. My Asus P4PE has "premium integrated audio" and it's total crap. I sold my Audigy MP3+ and optical/coaxial out module because from what I heard elsewhere, onboard sound is "just as good." BIG MISTAKE. It is not "just as good." Stick with the M-Audio or Audigy card and you'll be set.

RandyObert

Agent
My abit NF7-S has onboard 5.1 digital dolby with optical out and it sounds better than my Audigy ever did. Also for the first time my Dolby Digital is working correctly on my Cambridge DT3500 sound system. My desk sounds like the theater :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
MikeNagy, the nforce1 or nforce2 motherboards with the Soundstorm 5.1 audio don't have the problems traditionally associated with onboard audio. In fact, they are the most problem-free audio solutions I've ever tried! *knock on wood*

RandyObert

Agent
I can't believe I am advocating my onboard sound, Sheesh how times change, next thing you know it will be an onboard video card.........

MikeNagy

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, too bad nforce is only for AMD CPU's. :thumbsdown: Leave it to Intel to prevent any third party from ever marketing anything innovative or worthwhile for their processors.

I have never heard an nforce hooked up to a real home theater system, so I can't comment on how it sounds. If it's half as good as you guys say it is, it should be worth it, but definitely do not think of getting anything less than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks