What's new

***Official The Brute Force Xbox Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
If the game lists "HDTV 480p" with no check next to it that means it supports 480p but not widescreen. This game definitely supports 480p. I would like to make some comments on my impressions of this game.

Graphically this game is pretty stunning. There will probably be little to no argument here. The visuals of this game are compelling enough to keep me hooked to this game. The view distance of the game is incredible. I just notice how far you really can see before the game adds view distance fog into play. The character models are highly detailed. The guns are animated and detailed as well. Environment spans with great amounts of detail from single blades of grass to building structures. The Bump-mapping looks really good as well. All around stunning. I won't get tired of looking at this game.

Sound-wise this is a keeper. The game gives a lot of separation in sound. Good usage of surrounds. Bullets or weapon fire whizzing by you, explosions behind you, talking around you, and ambience engulfing you. Impressive. The gun weapons are a treat too. You get a wide range of sounds from each gun.

Gameplay, this game is not really much new. While the control scheme definitely isn't something new, I read somewhere that Bungie came and helped Digital Anvil to make it better all the while making the controls feel a lot like Halo. I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The controls work very well, I think. Since we all are used to Halo controls, the learning curve is a lot shorter. I think it was a good move to make the controls closely related to Halos controls. Actual gaming is fun. While people complain about the lack of tactical usage in this game, I think that would really slow this game down way too much. It's really nice to be able to switch between each character and be able to use each of their different abilities, I don't think it's necessary to have full tactical mission operations. Other than that, this is a shoot-em-up game. I'd say if that's what you go into playing this game expecting, then you won't be disappointed.

I really like this game so far. I am just hoping that it isn't way short. Take my comments with a grain of salt if you wish!

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Rob you sold RTCW?
Yeah, I sold it. The single player campaign was not too bad, but I've had my fill of FPS lately. My connection with Live is apparently "not fast enough for the servers" out there and I had a very difficult time hooking up a quality game. I prefer the deliberate pace of Ghost Recon much more and just didn't enjoy the game as much as everyone else.

So, I sold the game on eBay for $42 and bought 3 PS2 games for $16 each at Best Buy (had a coupon for 20% of 3 games). In the long run, I'll play these 3 games much more than RTCW. In case anyone cares, the games are Ace Combat 04, Baldur's Gate (they were out of the $9.99 XBox version), and Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. I'm happy with the decision, though I know that I'll miss some fun HTF nights.:frowning:

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
I'm not sure why it is, but Microsoft 1st party games have more than their fare share of scoring controversy. When it comes to hype, i mean who's responsible? Microsoft does so little to promote their games, I honestly don't think you can claim they're hyping a title. So, basically, it seems to be the very game sites that hype a product, that then turn around and say a game doesn't live up to its hype.

Squad based games of this type have always been very dicey. The commands tend to be quite limited and play balance is always an issue. Other games like Project Eden if I remember correctly introduced a puzzle element into its structure. Brute Force would appear to be of the all combat no puzzle mode of Halo.

Personally, I would've preferred that Digital Anvil not waste their time on a system link option that so few people will make use of, in favor of a first rate campaign mode. The co-op play elements are intriguing, but seriously, how many people want to play a game of this type in 4 player split-screen.

I've got my copy of BF, but haven't broken the seal. I may rent BF as an insurance policy before committing to the purchase. I await further impressions from people on the actual gameplay elements. How's the AI? Comparable to halo or not? Are levels worth replaying or are they something you go through once and not want to see again. Is there room for creativity in the managing of your squad members. How bad is the auto-aim in the game, and can you disable it?

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
The way people's expectations are getting ratcheted up, I'll be suprised if "Halo 2" is the next "Halo"... ;)

Just got home with my copy of Brute Force. Don't know if I'll get to fire it up before my RtCW game tonight, tho.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure why it is, but Microsoft 1st party games have more than their fare share of scoring controversy. When it comes to hype, i mean who's responsible?
The scoring controversy: People simply can't accept the fact that a review is nothing more than an opinion. If folks would take the time to actually *read* the full text of the ENTIRE review and avoid the score all together since in the end it means nothing compared to the reviewers words IMHO.

As for whos responsible for the hyping up of a title? Well my question would be what hype are you talking about? If its simple excitement for a title than I would say its a combination of pre-release game information (including high resolution screenshots (sometimes completely altering the *REAL WORLD* appearance of a game) as well as promising gameplay elements that various sites report on in numerous previews.

If however you mean the "Its the next Halo!" nonsense and the ever escalating need to make every new game the second coming of christ you only need to look to the gaming community and the dedicated fanboys of console X, Y, or Z. That does at times include certain well known sites whos writers are at times a bit overzealous or exhuberant about certain games. That invariably pushes gamers expectations through the roof.

However and I apologize for asking but it needs said, what is exactly is wrong with that? If someone plays a preview and is excited about the possibilities its well within thier rights to report that in whatever excited manner they please. Plain and simpl no one is asking anyone to read thier articles and if that style of writing is not to your liking simply find another site to read.

In the end its your decision whether you will like a game or not, its too bad people see a 7.6 SCORE and automatically red flags go up as if the game were a steaming pile of crap. Lets forget the fact that you may actually play the game and enjoy it. If you dropped the 50 beans for a game, for the love of god play it.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I have a problem with Microsoft releasing what is an A title with no Widescreen or 480p support.
Totally agree. Particularly considering the Xbox is so geared to HDTV with the promise (some realized) of 720p/1080i blah blah blah. That said I'll still grab this title given the ongoing positive reviews.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I found the game graphically comparable to the new Turok game which I can describe as being very very sharp.
EEK! Can't say I agree with that Dean. Turok was balls out ugly. If anything so far Brute Force at the very least is a good looking game.;)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Totally agree. Particularly considering the Xbox is so geared to HDTV with the promise (some realized) of 720p/1080i blah blah blah.
I just don't think its technically possible for a FPS in 720p or 1080i because of framerate problems. Developers can barely hold a steady 30fps right now, and thats just 480p. I just don't think we'll be seeing 720p or 1080i FPS until the next xbox. I don't think the xbox has the power for this.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
The scoring controversy: People simply can't accept the fact that a review is nothing more than an opinion. If folks would take the time to actually *read* the full text of the ENTIRE review and avoid the score all together since in the end it means nothing compared to the reviewers words IMHO.

Well, maybe then the mags and websites shouldn't post scores, because they pretty much all do. I can see your line of reasoning here and I do read the reviews. But at the same time, state what you will, the scores are a numerical representation of the review.

As for the hype factor, I just think it's hypocritical for mags and websites to bring up the hype factor when all they do is hype to gain readership. They're constantly besieging us with previews of games that are sometimes a year or longer from being released, or should I say, if they see release.

Just grade Brute Force on what it is, don't begin a review stating, Does it live up to the hype? That's just journalistic BS. I have so little faith in review scores as it is. I much prefer to hear what people who have bought the game think of it. BF was always a question mark for me. I'll be interested in your impressions on the game.

Greg R

Auditioning
This game is nothing special. A friend and I played it for about 5 hours. I have no desire to play it again. Very repetitive and underwhelming. We weren't having fun at all. The cut scenes look very nice though. This should never have been compared to Halo. A definite rental.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Just grade Brute Force on what it is, don't begin a review stating, Does it live up to the hype? That's just journalistic BS.
Heh, I chuckled when I saw that line and I knew I was about to be Kasavined or Gerstmanned. Really, how inane is a question like that?

"Does game X live up to the hype that we created and perpetuated ourselves? The shocking truth is now revealed...."

It seemed like both IGN and GS were expecting the next Rainbow 6 from the "flaws" they picked out in their reviews, yet I haven't even played the game and I knew it wasn't going to be like that. The game was billed as a squad based shooter where you could switch characters on the fly and give simple commands, and it seems like that's what it delivered. Why review a game as something it's not?

I was interested in finding out whether or not BF is a GREAT action game, as opposed to an average strategic shooter. Neither review answered that question because they both graded on their opinions of the type of game it should have been instead of what it actually is.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've gotten a couple of hours in on it, now.

I love this game! :D

The indicators: "Okay, I'll play one more mission and then go to bed...Okay, I'll play one more mission and then go to bed...Okay, I'll play one more mission and THEN go to bed" (repeat)

I'm really diggin' some of the audio commentary from your squadmates, as well. Funny stuff.

I think I've already gotten my $50 worth on this one... :emoji_thumbsup:

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
"Does game X live up to the hype that we created and perpetuated ourselves? The shocking truth is now revealed...."

Pretty much my feelings, James. These guys make their livings off feeding the hype with screenshots, movies, articles, developer interviews, hands on tests, etc. and then act like they were the victims of hype when the game comes out.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
My friend picked it up this afternoon, and I just finished an 8 hour co-op marathon of it...

Needless to say, it is a VERY fun game. I don't really need to go on with more of what you've already seen... "blah blah graphics are good, blah blah great sound, blah blah a lot like Halo"

All I know is that is has been a very long time since I was up from 9 pm until 5 am playing a first person shooter with some friends, that is for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks