What's new

***Official The Brute Force Xbox Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Peter O

Stunt Coordinator
Bryan has his copy of BF, but he played MotoGP2 with us for a couple hours instead rather than boot up BF :laugh:

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
My impressions:

Controls: Awesome, just like Halo

Graphics: Excellent. Framerate is locked in at 30. Textures are nice and fluid.

Sound: Awesome, makes great use 5.1

I just played some co-op with my friend. Framerate still seemed to be at 30. Great fun!! I can't wait to play with more people. These are my initial impressions, I need to play more.

Bob East

Agent
Question: Can you save in the co-op mode? RTCW did not allow this and as many people have stated, that was very disappointing. Hopefully this game will be different. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
IGN has some credibility issues in my opinion.

Here's some quotes from a hands-on of a preview build dated on april 22, 2003.

"I said it last year and say it again, Brute Force is gonna be the stuff of Xbox legend."

and

"In 2001 gamers had Halo. Last year they had Splinter Cell. Brute Force is looking like it may be the "ooh" and "ahh" Xbox game of 2003. "

And now they give this "ooh" and "ahh" Xbox game, an 8.1, meaning that in their opinion Godzilla: Destory All Monsters is more of an "ooh" and "aah" xbox game than Brute Force and that the thoroughly wretched Red Faction 2 is a better game as well. RF2 sucked so hard, I couldn't believe it. The new XBN had this game pegged right with a 4 out of 10.

I'm wondering why I bother reading reviews at all. Game reviewers are getting to be worse than movie reviewers. All I have to say, is that if the stuff blows up real good, I'll be happy, generic characters and plot line notwithstanding.

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
the thing I hate about some game review sites is that the preview reviews of teh demo etc always build up the game and make it sound really good and then their actual post release review trashes it...I always feel tricked.

Was the co-op strategy what was supposed to make Brute Force good? The only negative things I've heard about it is that it isn't strategical enough...but for some reason the game never struck me as such.

Dave.A.C

Agent
I picked up BF last night and played it for about 3 hours on single-player campaign. It's pretty fun, but hasn't sucked me in at all the way Halo did. Graphics are really good; as everyone has said, and I can't think of a better description, this game is really polished. You can tell a lot of time and effort went into the details. Use of DD5.1 is very good, although some of the weapon sound effects are weak. The chatter that comes from the players and enemies is good and diverse, I've especially enjoyed the Prophets. The Mutants, however, are one of the worst characters I've ever seen. Thanks to the rag-doll physics, sniping is pretty fun.

But the story seems to be pretty weak so far, although I think I've just started getting into the story and out of the training narrative. All of the dialog (in cutscenes)is borderline campy; If the makers weren't looking for humor through over-the-top dialog then I'm embarassed for them.

To this point BF has all of the right ingredients, but still feels like something is missing. The chemistry feels just a little off to me. It may be that the levels (those I've played), while well done, are small without much to mess around with. Once a level is done it's done, there's no need to go back really. Hopefully there will be a BF version of Halo's Assault on the Control Room, a level that is fun to return to over-and-over again.

Oh, and on the squad-based tactics - these are perfect and very fun for someone like me. I don't get into games like Raven Shield that require a huge strategy session before you do anything. The tactics are limited but very useful and let strategy come into play if you want it to (actually, on the harder modes you have to be all strategical or it's game over).

Summary after 3 hours - very good game, well worth my money.

Kami

Screenwriter
Anyone done a lot of play in co-op mode? That is what matters the most to me. I want another co-op game that me and my buddies won't be able to put down.

Dave, you are so right about Assault on the Control Room. I've played that dozens of times in co-op mode Legendary. It's so damn fun!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
How do you assess that? I've always wondered this when reading reviews.
Some people are pretty good at reading the framerate. I'm not too terribly bad myself, but some are even more accurate.

Some reviewers have been known to record gameplay to a VCR. It's pretty easy to count unique 'frames' (fields in the case of 30fps-60fps games) that way.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm gonna give this a rent I think or I might pick it up if one of the retailers has it for $39. It's tough for me to buy a single player game that'll take away from my live gaming time. I've still to pick up MotoGP2 yet and I want that one too !

James St

Supporting Actor
EB has it in today but I'll pick it up tomorrow at Circuit City instead. They are offering a free controller with a BF purchase. If the game gets frustrating I won't feel too bad for annihilating the controller.:D

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Stuff I find interesting, call me anal if you will, but I like web sites with a certain consistency when it comes to scoring. Anyway, I was looking at the graphics scores for BF and RTCW and the comments on the graphics for both games for IGN. Here's what they had to say about each.

Wolf looks good. While this isn't the best looking FPS on Xbox, there's plenty to admire here.

Brute Force is one of the most impressive looking games on the Xbox period.

By the comments I would expect BF to rate a higher graphics score than RTCW, but it doesn't. They both get the same graphics score of 8.0. Hmm, what's wrong with this picture?

The other aspect I have a problem with is the chintzy two page review for a highly anticipated first party effort, while a ps2 port like RF2 gets three pages. WTF? It would've been nice to get an actual in-depth review from IGN instead of them blowing off the game as if it were just a run-of-the-mill title, especially after all their recent buildup of this game.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
As far as framerate goes, I just kinda shoot from the hip and give a ballpark guesstimate on framerate.

I know what 20fps looks like from playing 3DO games. :laugh:

Bungie said that Halo IS 30fps: THQ says that MotoGP 1 & 2 are 60fps. You can see the difference. Halo is smooth but MotoGP is like Ubersmooth. ;) You can just see the difference when playing and you can sort of "feel" the difference when moving around in the environment and watching the effects of your movement on the screen.

...just my $0.02 worth.

Picking up Brute Force today. Have to wait 'till I get home from work. :frowning:

For you guys that have played it, how is the enemy AI? One of the things I got from different previews of the game, supposedly alot of time was spent on making the enemy AI "Halo clever". Supposedly your guys are going to be pretty smart as well.

Any truth to this?

That's one of my main motivators in playing Halo so friggin' many times: the enemy AI is pretty damn clever and you never really know how the next fight is going to go, no matter how many times you've played it.

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator
TOnnes o copies at my EB but the WIFE wil kill me if I bring in another game.
Time to trade in some crappy ones!!.

BTW I got her hooked on Soul Calibur 2 import! Its great kicking her and her 2 sisters asses. Thay relieves tension!!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I don't know about anyone else but I'm passing on this game. I have a problem with Microsoft releasing what is an A title with no Widescreen or 480p support. If Widescreen support can be on Soccer games it can be here. Inexcusable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks