What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002) (2 Viewers)

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
William, I thought it was Obi-Wan just being sarcastic, since he was being critical of Anakin's flying to begin with. Sort of like his saying "Good job" when Anakin tells him they came to save him on Geonosis when they were being chained up. Just my thoughts.

Chris

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Robert: The difference between poking a little fun at someone's favorite movie and belittling the same movie can all be in tone and expression. Something that's extremely difficult to tell thru type/text.
Also, when someone likes the film and makes a joke about it, its passed off as ribbing. But when a "basher" does it, it's usually not met with laughter but with anger/defensiveness. If that makes any sense... ;)
But you already knew that....just putting it out there...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The difference between poking a little fun at someone's favorite movie and belittling the same movie can all be in tone and expression. Something that's extremely difficult to tell thru type/text.
I agree, William. But there's another aspect to it: the state of mind of the person interpreting what's typed. If that person takes the movie really really seriously, he's more likely to interpret poking fun as bashing. Hey, I laughed when Bob Hope did a skit on his show about "Barf Vader", and I never thought of it as bashing. What I've never understood is why some people emotionally tie themselves to what's being said about George Lucas.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
True Robert.....I don't know why either... I like TPM and AOTC, but when someone talks about GL, I just say, I'm glad GL exists, even if I'm not 1000% behind his decisions sometimes....

Like was said in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back:

"That's the stupidest idea since Greedo shooting first!"

I love that one, and it's a direct shot at GL...

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Whoa....I'm "out of it for a little while and everyone gets delusions of granduer!"...ROTJ
No, while working today some real serious posts were blazing by.
We could have used the Taun We Fan Club song. :D Haven't finished it yet but I hope to post it here later tonight!
Stay tuned ;)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I was thinking...my least favorite line in the movie was Anakin's "...that creep's gonna end up deep-fried," line. Sweet lord it's awful. :)

William Ward

Supporting Actor
But it makes sense Matt....

Obi-Wan's line was said too soon, and as such, didn't have the great impact that his later sarcastic lines did....

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Or did ILM keep the purple effects over the speeder too long....
hmmm.....
Dangerous and Disturbing this puzzle is....(or is it just me... ;) )

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I'll throw in a my useless $.02 worth:

Lucas, whatever you do, go back to film for Ep. III. Digital video is not ready for prime time!!!! Or should I say it is ready for prime time. Prime time television that is. It doesn't have the resolution and contrast/black level (yet) to get blown up onto a huge theater screen. Transfering the video to film only proved everyone's point that film has much higher resolution (it made Super 35 look downright beautiful by comparison).

Trust your buddy Spielberg on this one.

Dan

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Actually Dan, I've been more angry at the fact that theaters use unfocused projectors to display some of these films...

It's not the film because the trailers are blurry and fuzzy too....

Imagine a shrunken 2.35:1 image in the middle of the 2.35:1 screen and that's the only part that was focused. And this was in a cineplex in a very wealthy area on the biggest screen I've ever seen!!

I'd welcome more digital cinemas so that at least you'd get a guaranteed quality of presentation(or do DLP cinemas have similar problems)....

And I think that E2 was too early, but E3 may be just right, and would probably be welcomed if E2 had been film....

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Robert R ,

Did you hate "Hardware Wars"? I thought it was funny, but I guess you think the people who made it are trolls.
YAWN!

I guess I should just ignore your posts since your main goal is getting rise out of people that disagree with your side of the story.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
Actually Dan, I've been more angry at the fact that theaters use unfocused projectors to display some of these films...
I'm with William on this. I've seen this movie on 3 different screens and 2 theaters. My first viewing was horribly out of focus (immediately I thought it was because of digital cameras). My next viewing was a little better, but my last viewing was at a new theater with new equipment and it looked fantastic.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
But it makes sense Matt....
Just because the line makes sense doesn't mean that it's a good line. I for one would rather have better sounding dialog that beats around the bush, then a somewhat childish line that explains every thing. It didn't piss me off or anything...I just felt the line was laughable.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Does anyone know why Obi-Wan says "That was good" after he and Anakin pass through the purple power couplings????
I assumed Kenobi said it because the effects of flying through the power coupling didn't last very long. Or, it could have just been a sarcastic remark.

The line of dialogue I didn't care for was the line "You are in my very soul" That was said by Anakin during the fireplace scene on Naboo. It was a contrived line and didn't seem natural at all. Maybe it was the way it was delivered, but I still didn't care for it.

As for other criticisms of the dialogue, I don't agree. This movie had much better dialogue than TPM. I suspect Jonathan Hales made the difference, but the lines being better can also be attributed to the better performances too. Ewan McGregor was free from the restraints of being a padawan and he chewed up the scenery. Natalie Portman seemed much more at ease and had more natural delivery of her lines in AOTC as well. Hell, Daniel Logan (Boba Fett) was much more effective in his 5 minutes of screen time than Jake Lloyd was for the entire time he was in TPM. Christopher Lee was fantastic and Ian McDiarmid - although in it very briefly - was once again terrfic. Why he isn't in more high profile roles is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks