What's new

*** Official 'Spaceworld 2001 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They will probably change the name of Mario Sunshine before the Japanese launch, its a tentative title.
If Zelda stays the way it is, I'll still like it. My only hope is that its more than just walking around and fighting pig enemies. I think it would be cool if it chronicled all of the games and the part we saw was before Ocarina of Time. If the game ended up looking like it did in that trailer from a year ago, then I would be even more happy.
Even with the bad title and animated style, Mario and Zelda look excellent.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Nicely put. I must agree! One has to see this in motion, it strikes out any reservations about the new look you could posisbly have.
I've got no problems with it either. I'm glad Nintendo are doing something different with it - change is good. I remember people getting annoyed at Mario64's look too.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I know that the game will be more than just fighting pigs and such, but I would like to have seen a picture of Ganon flash by really quick or something. The game will no doubt impress me and I will enjoy the entire thing. I have gained a reputation as being a Nintendo fan boy (even though I'm not) so it would be "out of character" to say that the Zelda video disappointed me. I am impressed by how well done the cel shading is (the lack of "jaggies" and polygon seams was amazing) and I am sure the end result will rock.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Knowing Nintendo, it's entirely possible that the parts of Zelda that we got to see (they knew darn well that footage would be leaked when they asked the press to keep it to themselves) are only a very small portion of the game. Ocarina of Time on N64 featured a child and adult version of Link, SNES and GameBoy versions of the game feature time travel, and I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to do a similar thing here and take it a step further by dramatically changing the visual style of the game when you play with Link as an adult. Just think of how phenomenal it would be to go from the cutesy world through the eyes of a child to the meaner, grittier world as seen through the eyes of an adult...
If you ask me, what we've seen of Zelda now would be about equivalent to us seeing the castle courtyard opening of Mario 64. I'm sure there's a lot left for Nintendo to surprise us with.

Louis-Olivier

Stunt Coordinator
Please Pete
"I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to do a similar thing here and take it a step further by dramatically changing the visual style of the game when you play with Link as an adult. Just think of how phenomenal it would be to go from the cutesy world through the eyes of a child to the meaner, grittier world as seen through the eyes of an adult..."
email nintendo with that idea, it is one of the best yet! Maybe it's not to late to do it!

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Except for Bambi, I mean Link. Zelda looks incredible in motion. I remember playing Rayman 2 and thinking how close to playing a cartoon it is and how it just can't get that much better..... but it just did.
And Mario looks great too. Did you see him jumping around all over the place? It may be similar the 64, but I don't see too much problem with that as long as I don't have to go into the same level 7 times or whatever it was. 3 or 4 is enough.
I've always sort of been on the fence with GC, as I felt burned by N64, but I'm sure I'll get one pretty soon after it comes out.
I think we're all a little nervous about Metroid though.
------------------

Gary King

Second Unit
Zelda wasn't what I was expecting, but Nintendo is doing a fantastic job with the cel shading -- it's easily the most cartoon-like cel shading I've seen. I'm a little concerned about playing a game like that in 3D, though (the lack of depth and perspective really confused me off in the video), but if anyone can pull it off, Miyamoto can.
Dino Planet has improved significantly since E3, and Mario looks nice.
Unfortunately, Metroid looks like the next Daikatana... I've been concerned about it since Nintendo cancelled Raven Blade. I hope Retro improves the game significantly in the next year - Metroid is my favorite Nintendo franchise.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Like the rest of you, I was surprised to see the new Zelda look, but wow, if it plays as good as it looks in motion we are in for a treat. I'm glad that Miyamoto wants to take the series back to its roots, as I always thought the SNES Zelda surpassed the N64 outings... And I love the first one on the NES, but was underwhelmed by the 2nd. Now I just have to make it thru the 2 new Game Boy Zelda games.
As for the rest of the show, I'm also worried about Metroid. I have fond memories of it in 2D and I'm not convinced it will feel like Metroid in a FPS environment.
Star Wars is still the reason I'll grab a Cube on day one, and I am confident that Miyamoto will be sure to make Mario Sunshine as innovative as Mario 64. We shall see.
Jason

Raphael

Stunt Coordinator
Well, this is incredible. Up to this point I was convinced that every Nintendo player in the world was about ready to up and crucify Miyamoto for the direction he's decided to take the Zelda series towards.
Personally, I am choosing to have a guarded opinion. Granted, Miyamoto has never given us crap, and he's not about to do it this time with what is perhaps the most respected franchise of all of Nintendo, and perhaps the entire video game industry. But man! a move like this take some serious guts. I've seen a lot of furious teenagers on the boards around here.
Metroid has me a lot more worried. I've been reading impressions of what they've seen, and it sounds like it's shaping to be little more than a very pretty FPS. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with FPS's, but Metroid was never about the blasting, and it looks like that's what the emphasis is going to be this time. Well, it's still early, I guess.
What has surprised me is how excited I am about a title I initially had absolutely no interest in before. The game? Super Monkey Ball. Looks to have loads and loads and loads of gameplay.
Perhaps the biggest disappointment? The decision to charge $35 for a controller in the US ($20 equivalent in Japan). What's up with that??
Sorry -- I've been focusing entirely on NGC news because that's what intrigues me most these days.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Not that there's anything inherently wrong with FPS's, but Metroid was never about the blasting, and it looks like that's what the emphasis is going to be this time. Well, it's still early, I guess.

I was just going to post something exactly like this. Metroid is more about exploration and discovery than basting thousands of little creatures to bits.
Despite my automatic dislike for playing any FPS with a gamepad, I'm also worried that we're going to be shooting primarily at small bug creatures scurrying along the ground (in keeping with Metroid). This is fine in a side scroller, but I got really tired of killing the headcrabs in Half-Life.
------------------

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I'll bet they guys who did 'Jet Set Radio' are flattered that 'Mr. M' took notice of they're cell-shading stlye.
I think that the footage I saw of Zelda looked great!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
More Fifa videos at IGN.... The grass looks...REAL, Batman! Fluid body movement too. I'm very impressed!
Having got a DC after Playstation I've been deprived of playing a Fifa game for some years, their gameplay and AI only seems to have picked up in the last few incarnations of the came (PS2 version especially from what I hear). Think what I will about the sport, Gamecube version will be mine!
biggrin.gif

Dan (UK)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Zelda, Mario, and Metroid are not finished, so they could all change. If anyone looked close enough, they would notice that Metroid had some really good graphics (what little of them you could see) and is shaping up to be a good FPS. The thing I don't get is why people are so mad that it is a FPS. What else would they make it into? It was going to end up as a 3-D shooting game, so why not just make it a FPS? It could very well have exploration elements, but its too early in development to tell what will happen.
Perhaps the biggest disappointment? The decision to charge $35 for a controller in the US ($20 equivalent in Japan). What's up with that??
The GCN is $200, a game is $50, a second controller is $35, and the last I heard the memory cards were $12 or around that area. That means that you can buy all that for less than just an X-Box. I consider that a good deal, so we shouldn't complain.
I think that Nintendo is making all the right decisions about how they are conducting business. We haven't even played Zelda/Mario/Metroid or even seen that much from any of them, so who's to say they won't change dramatically (ahem, Conker: Twelve Tales). Nintendo also has more games than just first and second party games. Sega is considered a third party developer, and they are bringing some big games to the GCN (PSO, SoA2, Virtua Striker). Based on what I have seen and read, the GCN seems to have some of the best first party lineups, with MS having a lot (I don't know about good) of second party games, and Sony's strong side has always been with third party support. In a sense, they are all tied (but Nintendo can't die, so they will take at least second, if not first).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if they aren't going to explain it, but rather leave it up to Factor 5/LucasArts since they are the ones who found out how to implement it into the game. I heard that the GCN doesn't have 5.1 but can be done on the software, but without any explanation or the port for the output...

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
quote: What has surprised me is how excited I am about a title I initially had absolutely no interest in before. The game? Super Monkey Ball.[/quote]
Games involving Apes, Monkeys, Gorillas...etc rarely dissapoint. :) It's neat to see Monkey Ball being updated for Gamecube. It's going to be the game you want to splash out and buy 3 additional controlers for. Definate purchase!
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 26, 2001 at 06:15 PM]

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I am also really interested in Super Monkey Ball. I hope nobody else is so I can find a copy on the first day. I'm probably going to have a GC launch party (on Sunday so I can try to open up the mini games in SMB) and I'm sure we well do nothing but play Wave Race and Monkey Ball with a bit of Perfect Dark to mourn the passing of the N64.
jeremy

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm probably going to not have a party or anything when I get mine. I will tell everyone that I am busy so that they don't come to my house and bug me in the middle of a game. After refining my skills in SSB:M and WR:BS they can come and get whooped.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
If anyone in the area is having a GC party on launch day, I would like to come. I probably won't be buying one right away and would like to try more than a store demo.
Thanks in advance :)
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks