What's new

*** Official 'Spaceworld 2001 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Dan, forget FIFA...seriously if you like football (Soccer) then you have to play ISS Pro Evolution, by far and away the best soccer game ever. I've played the latest PS2 Jap version, Winning Eleven 5, and it rocks! Better still it's being improved for the PAL version which i think comes out October time.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Oh yes yes, ISS is lovely in any incarnation, but I just like Fifa's realism in staduium design and use of real team and player names...etc. PS2, despite the odd temptation here and there, ended up doing nothing for me so I never got one. Any word of ISS coming to zee Cube?
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 28, 2001 at 06:45 AM]

paul h

Supporting Actor
Horses for courses as they say, though the PAL version of Pro Evolution does have all the names licenced at last! You could of course edit the player names anyway before but that took bloody ages!! Im sure the cube will see a version of ISS but it could well be by KCEO who did the N64 version and not KCET who have handled the superior PS/PS2 games. I like FIFA and respect the effort putting into making it look realistic but it just doesnt play like real football whereas ISS does...4 player ISS is just class, especially if all players are good. Had some epic 0-0 games where we've scored in the last minute, whereas FIFA games always tend to be high scoring affairs with bicycle kicks!
I'll probably end up getting all 3 consoles, much to the despair of my bank account! If the PS2 comes down to say £200 then i say get one, plenty of quality titles on the way and i'm well into Twisted Metal Black right now!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Yes I am well aware of the many faults of the Fifa series. We'll see, I'll get the Cube Fifa and see what happens later down the line with an ISS game. I think the limitations of the N64 proved to be a problem for the ISS releases on the console, a cube release has the potential to be far better.
quote: If the PS2 comes down to say £200 then I say get one, plenty of quality titles on the way and i'm well into Twisted Metal Black right now![/quote]
Indeed, it is my intention to take another look at the console when it drops in price again and is at the point where it is more stable in the release of top quality games.
Out of interest, do you import your consoles, Paul? Of all incarnations of the PS2, the US model seems to be the most appealing. Having seen both the US and UK GT3 running, I've got to say the PAL slowdown on the UK release is awful. I'm setting out my options in regard to a US gamecube import, still looking for decent places (BrianB offered up a couple of gooduns overseas).
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 28, 2001 at 07:24 AM]

paul h

Supporting Actor
Yes, i have a good contact in Canada who sorted me out with a US PS2, got it at a very reasonable price too. If you're interested i'll see if he'll help you out with a Gamecube, it's also the place where i get my R1 DVDs.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Hah! There's an advantage for the Cube over the X-Box that never occurred to me before. Try carrying the huge Box back from the US...
Oh, and while its entirely unlikely it would be fun if Super Monkey Ball launched with the special banana-shaped joystick the arcade model will have
biggrin.gif

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Will taunting of the Super Monkey Ball be permitted?
:)
------------------
"If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Paul, I've sent you a quick e-mail regarding the cube.
Iain,
You know, this is the thing, I keep forgetting how small the gamecube is! Even now, without having seen it in person, I can't quite grasp its size. There are a lot of comparison pics online standing it next to an N64, Gameboy...etc, and this thing is TINY.
Has anyone seen pics comparing the game boxes for the cube with that of an N64 game box (both japanese box examples). So cute!
Dan (UK)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Dan, do you have a link to the game box pictures? It occurs to me that the mini-dvd format is small enough that Nintendo could standardise on a single box size for both this and the Gameboy/Color/Advance box design. That would be really neat on the shelf. If I did have one small criticism of the Cube's software format though its that it would have been nice to have stuck the mini-dvds in a hard case, like the minidisc is. Most of the people I know who have Playstations for their kids chipped them to play copies just so they didn't have to fork out for another game every time one of them scratched a disc.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Last August, I couldn't wait to see how big the GCN would be so I made a paper model based on the dimensions. Just imagine putting two Dreamcasts on top of eachother. Its smaller than that.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Iain,
I can't find the exact URLs. The images are buried within the depths of 'IGN Gamecube' and came to light JUST prior to Spaceworld.
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 30, 2001 at 05:59 AM]

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Yes the AC Adapter is a bit of a joke in size, I must agree there! Still, I think it's better it's a seperate bulk rather then addding to the actual console's size.
Anyhoo, hey hey, found the page at IGN with the box comparisons. Remember now, all comparisons are of the Japanese boxes for GBA, N64 and GC. It's all Link Removed .
Does anyone have final word on the US game cases? It's said in that article at E3 they were on show in Alpha style DVD cases, this is fine, though given the size of the discs, mini alphas would be neat.
Another page at IGN with pics of the console and Peripherals can be found Link Removed .
Dan (UK)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Thanks Dan. Well, I've seen Japanese GBA game boxes before, so I've got something to compare with. Thats one small box! Not much bigger than UK/US Gameboy boxes. Looking at the console itself again, I think its fair to guess that a full-size DVD isn't even going to fit in the thing without sawing through imporatant things, which seems a deliberate ploy to minimise pirating as we have said. I guess any homebrew coders are going to have to limit themselves to the 200Mb that fits on a 3" CD.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think it would be neat if they used mini-DVD cases. Considering how tiny the discs are, they could fit a few in a single DVD case, making multiple disc games take up less space than they did for PSX or DC, but the PS2 and X-Box can hold more data to a disc, so it would take up the same amount of space.
What is the case type for the X-Box?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks