What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

*** Official Oscar Nominations and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Crash is well deserving of a BP nod. I loved that movie.
Im surprised with everyone else not to see EpIII in there.
Also I would have like to of seen Sin City in the list somewhere.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
More trivia:

When was the last time a film got six nods OR the second place in nominations(Memoirs of a Geisha) without having a single nom in the Top8 categories?

Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Crazy thing about Best Actress. Not only is there no BP nominee there, all five BA noms have another nomination!

Oh and this is the thinnest slate of tech noms for BP nominees since 1949!

Source: Oscarwatch.com

My own observation: Junebug is the only film with a acting nomination and no other nominations.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Oh please. Every year at this time, many people start trashing the Oscars for the very reasons I have stated. It may not apply to you, but it certainly applies to others, lazy stereotypical cliche' or not.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
It's going to be an interesting race for Best Actress. Will AMPAS voters go for Felicity Huffman's little-seen (but very well-liked) role as a transsexual in Transamerica or Reese Witherspoon's role as June Carter Cash in Walk the Line? :confused:

SteveJKo

Second Unit

Paul I totally agree with you on this. Unfortunately we just don't seem to live in that time period any more. There are SO many awards given out before the Oscar nominations have even been announced. Add into the mix that with those other awards every possible candidate or combination of candidates gets discussed ad nauseam, all traces of suspense are just vaporized.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I updated the first post with some formatting fixes and added in the names of those nominated for the craft and technicals. There's no official word yet on the Producers nominated for the best picture noms because Crash is in dispute over which six get it.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I thought last year or the year before, the Academy changed it to 3 producers per film that could come up on stage and accept the award.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
While we're on teh topic, is there any word about discarding last year's bizarre ass format?

Are we gonna suffer through Beyonce Knowles singing in french again?

--
H

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

To me, personally, there's plenty of suspense this year. Any of the nominated Best Pictures could get the Oscar - that's a fact.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi

They should allow all the people associated with the movie to come up like it is done at the Emmys for best drama and comedy. Why not make it as special as possible rather than having just people we don't know giving speeches?

~T

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd be fine if they didn't allow anyone on stage. Just announce the winner and move on. We could have this show done in an hour.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I like the speeches. I got to talk with Jim Bissell (nominated Art Director for GNGL) yesterday and he is a truly amazing and articulate person, and the art directors deserve a chance and thanks and speeches as much as the actors and directors do.

Adn that should have read which OF the 6 producers get credit. since there are six, and only three can be given credit there's a bit of a dispute on about who gets 'nominated' for the actual oscar.

According to the LA times the rule was instigated after complaints of the swath of people that leapt to the stage win Shakespeare in Love won.

Adam

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Why even have an Oscar award show right? Just announce it in the paper. Why then have any award where actors artists and technicians accept awards and sometimes give hilarious touching and moving acceptance speeches?

That one hour show would be sooo exciting without that right?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I want the show and the speeches because they give voice to the unsung workers. As Tino says, let the Amy Adams and Paul Giamattis have a minute. Let the team behind the sets have a minute. Let the composer say a few words, or the costumers.

The only thing I don't like is the "special" list of A-list "People Magazine" celebrities who can speechify for 3 minutes. The second the sound guy uses his one chance ever to try and thank his co-workers and family, he gets cut off so we can see a Charmin ad. Give everybody the same time limit. They all won Oscars.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Give me a five hour show every year. I love every minute of it!:emoji_thumbsup:

Janna S

Second Unit
Hey, I'm with Tino. This is my "super bowl" and I get a kick out of it all - the pre-show junk, the silly "here comes . . ." sound bites, the clothes, the audience shots, the speeches good and bad, even the commercials. I watch the whole damned thing from start to finish and enjoy it all, even the dopey stuff.

Although I have usually seen every one of the films with major nominations (except those that haven't shown in Alaska yet), and about a hundred other films in the year, I don't get too racked up in the debates of who, who not, why, why not, shoulda, coulda.

Hell, it's not brain surgery or world peace - it's more like whirled peas - and that's fine with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks