What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Official new iPad (3rd Generation) Announcement Thread (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
True. I'm just saying, if you're used to using Hulu/Netflix/Flixter stuff, and it detects higher bandwidth and pitches you more data as a default..

Originally Posted by dmiller68 /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/90#post_3904722
So I have been paying for the 250mb plan with my iPad 1 forever and only exceeded it a few times. I restricted my use to web browsing when not on WiFi but it is nice to know I can get to the internet when I need to. 4G isn't going to change that unless you already exceed it because your streaming or whatever. The only way I would see exceeding it is if I change my use because of the faster data transfers.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Ronald Epstein said:
Ken, if it makes you feel better, I will change the title of the thread.
Thanks Ron. If I come across as being emotional about it, maybe it's because I posted that at end my third long night playing Mass Effect 3 :)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Steve_Tk said:
As much as I want this device, the only thing I really would be paying for is the retina display. My iPad 2 is currently perfect for everything I do. I want the display, but not going to fork out the $~300 bucks just to upgrade to it. I'll wait for the "new new iPad" or "the more HDer iPad".
What's with this name? The New iPad. Some are calling it iPad 3, others are calling it iPad HD. Branding is huge, names are huge, why call it this?
On branding:
http://www.fastcocreate.com/1680086/forget-the-ipad-3-the-smart-branding-move-behind-apples-new-ipad

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
That article is terrible. It isn't "the new iPad" the name is just "iPad". If it were "new iPad" the next one would have to be "even newer iPad"

"What do you have"
"Oh, I have the iPad"
"Which one? iPad1, 2 or New or Newest?"

:)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/90#post_3904727
How much data does the iPad burn up using it as a GPS device?
Was thinking of using TomTom or Navigon for iPad.
If you want voice directions, get TomTom (or Navigon). If you want the easiest to use map, use Google Maps

I was using GoogleMaps more than normal in January and February (after my move to VA), and still didn't exceed my 250 MB iPhone plan. My wife is doing more iPad Google Maps on 3G as we house hunt, and hasn't maxed her 2GB plan. I use TomTom for the voice and not having to worry about dropping connection and losing my map.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

Thanks. I have both on my iPhone and have used them extensively.

Don't know if I like TomTom or Navigon better. They are both THAT GOOD.

Just wondering if they constantly eat data or not. It appears from your
post, perhaps not. I would love to see these programs blown up on an
iPad, though I am wondering how to mount it on the dash.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
All the whining about the name is laughable...especially the part about it not being a status symbol because it's not called iPad 3 or whatever. The first two generations just were labeled "iPad" on the box and on the units themselves. The so-called "status" comes from people being able to recognize on sight that something is the latest and greatest...which is why so many many crybabies were pissed off when the iPhone 4S came out. Gasp...it looks just like the iPhone 4!! Absurd...

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Ronald Epstein said:
Dave,
Thanks.  I have both on my iPhone and have used them extensively.
Don't know if I like TomTom or Navigon better.  They are both THAT GOOD.
Just wondering if they constantly eat data or not.  It appears from your
post, perhaps not.  I would love to see these programs blown up on an 
The only data my TomTom app uses is for traffic and local Google searches. They updated the TomTom maps for the retina display on the iPhone 4. I'm eager to see how it looks on the iPad's new display.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/120#post_3904814
Dave,

Right. TomTom doesn't use data except for GoogleSearches of addresses and Traffic. That's why it's 1.5GB; all the maps are in the app. I think Navigon is the same.

Google Maps uses data. So do some other GPS apps. My experience has now convinced me the data consumption isn't that high.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
mattCR said:
That article is terrible.  It isn't "the new iPad" the name is just "iPad".  If it were "new iPad" the next one would have to be "even newer iPad" 
"What do you have"
"Oh, I have the iPad"
"Which one?  iPad1, 2 or New or Newest?"
:)
The new can be dropped after a while and it will just be the iPad until the next new iPad comes out. It does simplify their naming and product lines which fits in with the culture of the company and the experience they try to provide customers.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife's 16gb iPad 2 still has 3gb free. She doesn't use it for movies or music.
I'd get a 64gb for myself.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Michael_K_Sr /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/120#post_3904822
All the whining about the name is laughable...especially the part about it not being a status symbol because it's not called iPad 3 or whatever. The first two generations just were labeled "iPad" on the box and on the units themselves. The so-called "status" comes from people being able to recognize on sight that something is the latest and greatest...which is why so many many crybabies were pissed off when the iPhone 4S came out. Gasp...it looks just like the iPhone 4!! Absurd...
Bwahahah you do realize that this is a big reason why a bunch of people grab them? I mean, there are lots of foolish reasons, but take it from someone who does the ordering for departments of managers. The top question I was asked was "so, is it an Ipad3? Ipad HD?" When I explain "it's iPad" they look at me with the "how do I brag about how cool this is" :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
DaveF said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/120#post_3904814
Dave,

Right. TomTom doesn't use data except for GoogleSearches of addresses and Traffic. That's why it's 1.5GB; all the maps are in the app. I think Navigon is the same.

Google Maps uses data. So do some other GPS apps. My experience has now convinced me the data consumption isn't that high.
Hmmm... Has Google Nav shown up for the iPad/iPhone yet? OR is that still exclusive to Android?
_Man_

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Shipped!
Darn it on the future delivery requested :( But it doesn't matter, I'll be on a trip until Saturday, so I couldn't play with it until then anyway. Still, bam! Sorry Sam, I still went with the AT&T LTE option...

Mar 13, 2012 11:18 AM
Picked up
NASHVILLE, TN
Future delivery requested

I'll just see your posts from the trip and know it's waiting for me ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks