What's new

Official: Netflix to support HD-DVD and Blu-ray at launch (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
if you've already enabled HD-DVD and try to add last samurai, phantom o' opera or million dollar baby right now, netflix will automatically add the hi-def version! =). i might wanna rent it just to see what it looks like without a player! =P.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Got an "HD DVD Alert" e-mail from Nf this afternoon--it clarifies the upcoming HD DVDs' non-backward-compatibility and asks that you confirm you can play the new discs.

This VB story says "Netflix sent a survey out Monday to users that had added the HD DVD rental option to their queue to assess subscriber interest in the new format." I never received that.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
well, i got a "reconfirmation" thingy. so i had to go and "reconfirm" i had a HD-DVD player, that HD-DVD wouldn't play on current DVD players, i'd have to buy a new HD-DVD player, etc. =).

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Interesting: the e-mail I got didn't ask me to go to the site and actually reconfirm my HD DVD set up. As in, getting HD DVDs isn't predicated on me going to the site and again indicating I want HD DVDs.

Dick C

Auditioning
My Netflix Queue is setup to default to HD DVDs only. I received my first disc today; Million Dollar Baby. It was supposed to be a HD DVD, but its a DVD with a lot of scratches (old disc). The white sleeve is labeled HD DVD (#138879), but the disc itself is labeled DVD Video and the disc indicator on the player illuminates "DVD" (and the PQ is obviously 480). Has anyone here received an actual Million Dollar Baby HD DVD from Netflix???

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i received the serenity HD-DVD physical disc just to see what it looks like (no plan to buy player yet). it looks about the same. not a big diff if you asked me =).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

i was apout to say HUh??
then i figured you were talking about the actual disc when you said it looks the same, no difference.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i made it more clear =). gonna do so with BluRay as well. see what it physically looks like =).

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
YiFeng,

While there is certainly no harm in your interest in this or your posts (unless it is misunderstood and someone thinks you are talking about the image quality), I have to ask.....what do you expect?

HD DVDs look just like DVDs. I think it would be fair to assume that BDs will look just like HD DVDs and DVDs (physically). Was there ever any real question that they would somehow plysically "look different"?

Not sure why you are wasting money to find this out.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
lol =). i'm a curious bear. on Netflix, i have the 8 out at a time... so not so much of a waste.

yeah, intellectually i know that it ain't gonna look that much diff. but physically, touching the disc, smelling it and licking it, etc. didn't you guys ever get that feeling when CD first came out? very curious about new formats =).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks