What's new

*** Official "MEMENTO" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
My .02 centimes....
Everything Teddy says at the end is true, in that
1) Leonard's wife did survive
2) Leonard's wife dies when she "tested" Leonard with the insulin.
3) Leonard did find A John G. and killed him. (maybe not THE John G. but this is immaterial)
4) Teddy was the cop on the case, recognised the value of Leonard's condition and has basically been using him as a killer to suit his needs.
Also, Leonard does not have the scratches in the B&W shots, he gets them killing Jimmy. I remember this clearly as I was waiting for the scene where he acquires them.
Did anyone else notice the brief memory flashback at the end of the movie to Leonard lying in bed, with his wife, with the tattoo "I DID IT" over his heart? This bugs the crap out of me because he was lying WITH HIS WIFE. Then why does he also have the "John G. raped and murdered my wife" tattoo also? If this means that none of the memory flashbacks we see are reliable then what the hell is the purpose of showing them? This one scene almost keeps me from really enjoying the movie.
I have no problems with ambiguous endings but this scene causes so many issues that it pisses me off.
P.S. It's been so long that I've been in a theater, watching a movie, and had the conscious thought of "holy crap, this is good" that I did with this.
Steve
--------------------------
"and then...depression set in"

Stephen R

Stunt Coordinator
StephenK:
To tell you the truth, I didn't notice the "I Did It" tattoo, but I can understand its presence in the context of the ending scenes. I think part of the message about the movie IS that memories aren't reliable. The tattoo on his chest before he killed his wife with the insulin (which I definately think he did) only further illustrates the way Leonard shifted his own memories to suit his needs.
It's all part of the irony, I think...

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Wow, there was a flashback with his tattoo saying "I did it". It makes perfect sense to me, deep down he knows he did it, but he's covering it up with his selective memory loss.
Something else that I didn't see, but my girlfriend did, is during the flashback to where Sammy is giving his wife an overdose, she saw a 1 frame flash of Leonard in his place.
I'm sure there are hundreds of clues that I missed the first time around. God I love movies like this that spark such great conversations. Where people who've seen the same film get different interpretations.
------------------
"You know, there's a million fine looking women in the world, dude. But they
don't all bring you lasagna at work. Most of 'em just cheat on you."
Optimus Prime Films

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
My girlfriend corrected me, the 1 frame flash of Leonard was during a flashback of Sammy in the hospital. So look for it there.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
What a *fascinating* film; I'm definitely going to have to see this a second and third time (once it gets to Jersey -- had to drive to the City to catch it, though it was WELL worth it).
Immediately when the movie ended, and everybody started getting up, I thought, "What kind of ending is this?" So did quite a few others, and they seemed disappointed. However, as I was walking back to my car and talking with my friend about it, it dawned on me that it was a perfect ending, and that, aside from a few things mentioned on that website that I wish had been included somewhere in the B/W moments, I'm glad the director didn't wrap things up in a nice, neat bow. My initial overall reaction was that the movie felt a lot like Fight Club, especially with the "twist" at the end. However, I do feel the movie stands extremely well on its own, and I hope it comes up for a few oscars this time next year (definitely one for Best Original Story). Side note: Rottentomatoes right now has it listed at 94%, with one dissenter complaining about unoriginality/boring if it were not edited the way it was; I disagree -- the story is taut and well-crafted even without the unique narrative given.
Some points:
* I can't recall the specifics (my memory, um...sucks :)) but didn't Natalie ask about that empty spot on his chest, the spot where he "remembers" having the words I Did It (or whatever it said; I thought it was more words than that) at the end? He made a comment about it, but I can't remember the comment. Seems that either he got rid of that tattoo, or that last memory was not real.
* I disagree with whomever thought that the Jimmy G. that Leonard killed at the end wasn't in fact the same Jimmy G. that Natalie knew. No, I think she knew him, and was so pissed off that Leonard killed him that she tried to get him killed by faking the whole boyfriend-abuse. Eventually, though, she came to pity him and (I think) fell in love with him.
* I agree with most of what was said about Teddy -- he definitely was a dirty cop, and although I'm not sure how the two met, Teddy was using Leonard to knock off drug dealers and take their money (knowing he'd have the perfect alibi if Leonard ever got caught). As the movie unfolds, we're first left with the impression that Teddy is murdered because he's the real killer. But at the end, when we're left with the impression that Leonard is, in order to keep his "sanity", creating a need to find his wife's killer, we feel like his act at the start of the movie is pointless (which was why I initially was uncomfortable with the movie's abrupt ending). But looking at it again, we see, in a new light, a sense of poetic justice against Teddy. In using Leonard for his own corrupt means, he unwittingly brings about his own demise. That was an epiphany for me, and why I really love this movie and can't wait to see it again.
* I couldn't follow for the life of me the hotels and room numbers. Leonard started out (movie-wise) in 304, but the desk clerk said he also had 302 rented out. But later (earlier?) when he kicks in the door to Dodd's room, it's #6 (implying by a different number schema that they're different hotels). Which hotels were which, and where and when was Leonard staying at each?
* Did anybody else find amusing the comment wrote on the back of Teddy's photo: "He is the one." I couldn't help but think of Pantoliano as Cypher in The Matrix.
Like was said above, this movie can be (and will be) analyzed fifteen ways to Sunday, and there'll still be questions left unanswered. I'm still lookin' for some of those answers myself :)
------------------
On April 2nd 2001 War Was Beginning
Jermaine Dye: What happen?
Mike Sweeney: Clemens set up us the bomb
Ray Sanchez: We get green light
Dye: What!
Sanchez: Main swing turn on.
Dye: It's you!!
YANKEES: How are you gentlemen!!
YANKEES: All your baseball are belong to us!

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Wow! I just watched this excellent film yesterday and I haven't stopped thinking about it. This film is truly one giant puzzle that requires repeated viewings to fully grasp it entirely.
It has only been given a limited release, yet Memento has managed to make it into IMDB's Top 250 Films of All-Time list (#173).
I'm hoping the DVD will feature a seamless-branching option that will allow us to watch the film in chronological order. :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
OK, just saw this one tonight and I've really enjoyed reading your discussions. My brain is still processing everything this movie had to offer, but here's my first real question:
What was Dodd's deal? I realize that Natalie duped Leonard into fighting Dodd...but to what end? I understand the connection between Natalie and Teddy...and Natalie and Jimmy...but not Natalie and Dodd.
I mean - Ultimately, they just let Dodd drive away, right?
(Please don't tell me I missed some glaring plot point, as I'm supposed to be a bona fide critic here!)
By the way, I freakin' loved this movie. As I stated in a new Spoiler-Free thread I started, I predict Memento will get Oscar nominations for Best Screenplay, Best Editing and possibly Best Director. And if I'm wrong, so what? It's still a brilliant, fascinating and ridiculously entertaining movie.
------------------
Scott E. Weinberg
My Movie Reviews at Hollywood Bitchslap!
My DVD Reviews at Apollo Movie Guide
My weekly column - 'The Angry Jew's Movie News'
Link Removed
"KNEEL before Zod!"

David Oliver

Second Unit
I can't add too much to the substantive discussion about what happened, because it has left my head spinning. I think I know and then I read here a extremely feasible alternative and it is making me dizzy.
But I am going to add my immense satisfaction and appreciation of this film. I hope it is not forgotten for next year's awards season: screenplay and editing most likely and then I would add Dirctor and actor for Guy Pearce. Heck, why not Best Picture?
Did I mention I really liked this movie? I am going to see it again.
------------------
AFI 100 Challenge: 31 Left
Last: High Noon (3/4)
Next: Bonnie and Clyde
HTF Reading Challenge: 8 Left
Currently reading: Raymond Chandler in Hollywood

Christien_XM

Auditioning
"Did anyone else notice the brief memory flashback at the end of the movie to Leonard lying in bed, with his wife, with the tattoo "I DID IT" over his heart? This bugs the crap out of me because he was lying WITH HIS WIFE. Then why does he also have the "John G. raped and murdered my wife" tattoo also?"
Actually, I'm not sure but I think the "raped and murdered" tatoo is different in this last flashback shot. I've only seen it once, but one of the guys I saw it with was there for his second time and was looking for this. Apparently the tatoo is slightly different; I think the word "murdered" is left off. Can anyone confirm this?
If so, does this mean he had his tatoo altered later on to accommodate the fact of his wife's death? Or does it simply mean we cannot trust any of his memory flashbacks? The latter would seem to bolster what the film says about memory itself, that it cannot be trusted.
Loved this film. Loved it.
Oh, and I also had the question---posted earlier---about how he can even be cognizant of his condition. I suppose I just have to accept it as a filmmaker's choice and suspend the old disbelief in that instance. Having to deal with relearning the condition every time he wakes up, or every time he snaps to attention, would have made for a fifteen hour film.
-C

David Oliver

Second Unit
About being cognizant of his condition...isn't that what the tatoo on his hand that said "remember whatshisname" was for?

Christien_XM

Auditioning
"About being cognizant of his condition...isn't that what the tatoo on his hand that said "remember whatshisname" was for?"
A friend of mine answered the question that way too. I suppose I can accept that the Sammy Jankis (sp) tatoo serves that purpose. Either that or we can extrapolate from the fact of his prior knowledge of Sammy Jankis' condition that he must then understand his own.
Still, we get no sense that he ever goes through the process of reminding himself of his condition. I mean, for heaven's sake, there is that wonderful scene where he is running and thinking, "Oh...I guess I'm chasing that guy," until that guy shoots at him. Wonderful funny moment. But I have to expect that if he cannot remember from one moment to the next and we are given his thoughts as he discovers this, then if the Sammy tatoo is to remind him of his condition I have to believe the filmmakers would have shown us this more obviously. The film is too consistent in other ways for them not to.
So there must be another explanation.
-C
"My wife called me Lenny...I hated it."

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Memento finally made it to Seattle last night and I have to say I rate it as one of the coolest movies I have ever seen. I am eager to put the DVD up next to Fight Club and the spot I am saving for the SE of Pulp Fuction. Someone should start a thread in Studio Feedback for an SE of Memento (complete with commentaries by the writer and director, the contents of the Memento web page, which is well worth reading, and a seamless branching of the film in chronological order with an entirely different commentary by the writer and director). I have a feeling that a lot of people will be using the freeze frames on their players for this flick!
That said, I buy pretty much what has been said before. I do like the idea that "memories are faulty" so therfore Lenny's memories MAY be faulty. I also have to believe Teddy in the end (beginning) where he says that Lenny's wife died of insulin shock. This is backed up by the clippings on the web page, I think that it's unfortunate that the director didn't insert a very quick shot of this information in Lenny's papers, however I suspect this information is contained on the pages missing from his file.
I would like to have known who the hell Dodd was, but that would require that Lenny would have to had some contact with him. Notice that the film is told from Lenny's perspective and therfore he is, HAS TO BE, in every scene (like in Taxi Driver, except where Scorcese screwed up and had that one scene with Jodi and Harvey alone...but I digress).
My question: Who was the cop that Natalie referred to in the bar as having been looking for Lenny? At first I suspected Teddy, but if Natalie and Teddy had a prior relationship, as has been suggested in prior posts, then I think she would have phrased it differently.
I thought for a moment that the "cop" could have been Dodd, but then Dodd would have either known Teddy or Lenny. I think Dodd is just a red herring to fuck with us. If he was anything more, I think there would have been more significance to them just letting him go. (I totally expected the film to go all the way back to the initial attack and have the 2nd Killer be Dodd).
Man this movie was cool. My head is swimming and I can't write anyomore. Not since Fight Club have I wanted to pick apart the complexities of a film. I think I will take a nap and forget I saw Memento. Tonight I'll go see it again for the first time.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Does anyone want to start a new thread where we can chronologically list the events of the film, and the interaction of the characters? Kind of a cheat sheet/timeline? I just saw it 3 hours ago, and already I don't trust my memories of the film!
------------------
Virgo: (Aug. 23--Sept. 22)
Just keep telling the officers "No hablo Ingles." Unless they're Mexican. In that case, run.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
You can start a thread Jonathan, but do you want to do the timeline as it happens in the film, or in chronological order (1. Leonard investigates Sammy. 2. Leonard's wife is raped, he gets partial amnesia. 3. etc.)?
Should we include info gathered from the web page? If you haven't visited it, it's worth it. Very cool!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from seeing this amazing film to see if it lived up to the hype and boy, did it ever! I wonder who's going to release it on DVD? The company that released this film I've never heard of before.
Not much to add, but did anyone notice that Sammy was played by the same actor who played Ned Ryerson in Groundhog Day? And he plays insurance salesmen in both movies.

David Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have anything to add, because I'm still sorting out all the "facts" 6 hours after seeing the movie. :) I must say though, Memento is THE best movie I've seen in a long time.
One question though... What will Leonard do now, after another John G.(Teddy) is dead? He has all these facts tattooed on his body, including the one with Teddy's license plate number. If he starts all over again, won't that tattoo confuse him, as there won't be anybody else with the same license plate number? Or will he alter or cover up his tattoos, as some people have suggested?
Ooh, I love this movie!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I saw the film Saturday evening and I'm still thinking about it. Easily one of the better films that I've seen in some time, and my number one film of the year to date. One of my favorite genres of film is the noir, and this makes a nice edition to their fold.
David - My take on the what will Leonard do now question was this...
Near the end of the film, when Jimmy mentioned Sammy, Leonard realized that he had screwed up and his victim probably wasn't the J.G. that he was looking for. Teddy tells him what has really happened ( I helped you, and used you, etc. ) Realizing that he was being manipulated, Leonard purposely started a chain of events that would eventually end in Teddy's demise ( taking down the license plate, the notation on the photo ). Teddy's demise would break the J.G. cycle.
But the great thing about the film is the uncertainty. So I sure could be wrong. :)
Richard - having Stephen Tobolowsky play the role of Sammy was a nice touch. I was grinning at the the screen when I saw his visage at the start of the Sammy story.
- Walter.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the fact that Memento is being distributed by a small company and is being slowly released in the springtime, if anyone with a vote will remember it come next year's Oscar nominations. I can't imagine the company having the resources of Miramax or Dreamworks to get enough screeners out there to the voters.
Iain said he saw it in the UK last December and it's already coming out on video. I think the distributor dropped the ball on not getting it in the LA/NY theaters in time for last years nominations.
I want to believe that Memento could have beat Gladiator for Best Picture.
------------------
I have a fever! A fever for more cowbell!!! - C. Walken

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I saw it a second time this weekend. You get a much better understanding of it the second time. I highly recomend it.
Answering a few questions that I saw brought up. This is only my interpretations, not fact.
Dodd, who I really had no idea what he had to do with the film the 1st time I saw it, is an "associate" of Jimmy's. Since Jimmy gets killed and his money disappears somebody has to answer for it. Natalie says something to this effect, and that it's going to be her. So she uses Leonard to get rid of him. (Which I don't think he did a very effective job of.)
The cop that Natalie refers to in the bar is Teddy, she says his name. Teddy is meeting Jimmy for a drug deal, but uses Leonard to get rid of him. Teddy plans on stealing Jimmy's money and car. He tries a couple of times to get the car, with the cash in the truck, away from Leonard.
Now my question, which I don't think they answer in the film, is how does Jimmy know Leonard? He's gone as far to tell Natalie about him.
------------------
"You know, there's a million fine looking women in the world, dude. But they
don't all bring you lasagna at work. Most of 'em just cheat on you."
Optimus Prime Films

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks