What's new

Mean Girls (2004) (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
After seeing Legally Blonde in a theater filled with 14 year old girls, I've decide to watch teen oriented flicks when they come out on DVD. Even though I don't have "pervish" thoughts about 14 year olds (18 year olds, maybe) I still felt weird and out of place. If I was a parent of a 14 year old at a theater, I would wonder about the 40 year old gut sitting all by himself.

There have been some pretty good teen films the past couple years, most notably for me, 10 Things I Hate About You. Mean Girls sounds like a winner.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I went to see this Friday because I'm a fan of the lovely Lacey. Surprisingly enough, the film wound up being a lot of fun, and pretty funny. Thumbs up on my end! :emoji_thumbsup:

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I don't think anyone should feel weird or ashamed about seeing this movie. It's a cleverly written, bitingly funny satire of high school life. Anyone who remembers high school should appreciate Tina Fey's smart and witty script.

And like others have said, if you need justification, you've got Fey, and of course, Tim Meadows, who is more subtle here than he usually is, but still hilarious.

I'm sure that was on purpose; she was supposed to be the super-rich one. I thought the uber-makeup job was in character.

I think Chabert has been pretty smart with her post-Party of Five career. She's tried to steer clear of most teen-oriented flicks. The few that she's done have been either spoofs of other teen movies like Not Another Teen Movie or satires of teen life in general, like Mean Girls.

And Lohan actually reminds me of Jodie Foster when she was that age. She's got a terrific career ahead of her if she's careful with her choice of roles, and so far she seems to have been (Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen notwithstanding).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Lindsay appears to have more acting talent than the other 2 actresses (I say this in spite of the growth spurt she appears to be currently experiencing/exploiting...)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
"in spite"? Does one cancel out the other, or do we focus so much on the latter it makes it more difficult for us to appreciate the former? :)

Oh yeah: didn't Ocean's Eleven "introduce" Julia Roberts?

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I saw this last week and really loved it. I was afraid of being in another "Lizzie McGuire Audience" but it was ok. And I don't feel guilty of liking it.

One thing I really loved about this movie was the music, anyone knows why the soundtrack is nowhere to be found? I just went to all the record stores in Downtown Montreal before going to work today and none of them had it, neither was it listed in their system.

I then did a search on Amazon, and nothing turns up.

Why isn't there a soundtrack out for this movie? The music was so good!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The soundtrack is available on the iTunes Music Store; there's a link to it from the official movie website. Maybe they're not going to release a physical CD -- perhaps the beginning of a trend?

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I saw the link, but to me, a CD that is only available on iTunes is like a DVD only available in Pan & Scan, I consider it not available at all!

I will not buy a Mac.
I will not buy an iPod.

I'll check on Kazaa just in case... But I'd prefer to get an actual CD than be stuck with a lossy MP3/MP4 file.

I hope you're wrong about the trend, because I would really hate it if they'd start releasing albums on iTunes only.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
You don't need a Mac. Apple released a Windows version of iTunes late last year.

KatieL

Stunt Coordinator
This film although parody is one of the most accurate accounts of what it's like to be a teenage girl. So funny, so real. I'm surprised nobody mentions Lizzy Caplan's self-conscious character Janis Ian.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Ok, but I'm not gonna use their program on my machine. I want the soundtrack in a *USABLE* format (That is, a CD) Even if I installed one of those programs that install as a fake soundcard in Windows to convert them to WAVs, I would lose a lot of quality in reencoding them to MP3s for my portable.

Unless iTunes allow to download a purchased album in FLAC or APE, then I could probably do something with it, but 64kbps MP4s that will only play on that iTunes or iPod garbage are not worth the price they charge for them.

Edit: Just when I thought I couldn't hate Apple more than I already did, my opinion of them sunk to a previously unimaginable low.

Ok, just went on iTunes website to see it, it said somewhere that I could burn it to CD using their program so I figured I could always do that...

I was not able to even see the album's track listing without installing iTrash. So I installed it, then I was able to see the track listing. No mention of what format or bitrate the files would be, so I click "Buy Now" just to see. I had to sign up for an account just for that. And the catch is, since I don't live in the states, I can't even sign up. So I uninstalled iTrash from my machine.

So I'm back to square one, when will this movie's soundtrack ever be released in a *USABLE* format?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
FYI, the iTunes Music Store typically uses 128kbit AAC (MPEG-4 audio) for songs. I suppose they might use something else for the books.

There's some finger-pointing as to why it's not yet available in Canada, but it might be soon.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
How different is it from buying a CD from Amazon.com or .co.uk like I do all the time and pay the disks in USD or GBP than buying online from them? If they have some licensing issues with Apple selling songs and albums to canadians, why do they allow Amazon to sell them to us?

Someone above mentionned that iTunes exclusive albums may become a trend, I hope not because then I will start pirating because that's where I draw the line... If something is not available legally, then pirating it is all right by me...

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Apparently today was Mean Girls day (The day that Cady tells Aaron it is). I saw it at one of my local regals. It was fun but unfortunately the projector was out of calibration so there was a yellow tint on the bottom of the screen for the entire movie.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I saw it at one of my local regals.
I watch Mean Girls every year on October 3 and noted as much in the daily viewing list thread in the Blu-ray forum. None of my local theaters showed it, but that would be fun. I've actually never seen it in theaters and discovered it down the line at home when it was on streaming and cable. Maybe Paramount will do something with it to promote the upcoming remake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks