What's new

Official Mac OS X Leopard Installation & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Ron, for virtually everything that isn't Microsoft Office, you actually can just drag the application into the folder -- many applications are package files just like the iPhoto or Aperture libraries -- they look like one thing but are really a container full of other stuff.

You can also use the Migration Assistant to move things from "your old Mac" on your cloned drive when starting up after your install (or later -- spotlight Migration Assistant).

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Ronald,

If you do an Archive and Install (w/o preserving network and settings) it backs up your full current system to a folder called Previous System.
About the Archive and Install feature
You can easily use Mails import to import your mail from the backed up application support mail folder out of the Previous System folder. Once you know you have everything restored and working to your liking you can simply delete the Previous System folder eliminating any wasted disc space. One system all fresh.

If you go the external bootable clone backup, Migration assistant can helpbut I've never used it.

P.S. Be aware SuperDuper! still isn't fully Leopard compatable yet. It's passed internal testing, now it goes out to specific testers for external testing before final release. Latest info on SuperDuper HERE.

I have successfully did a full clone backup of my Leopard 10.5.1 system to an external miniStackv2 hard drive and booted from it successfully. Hope all this babble is some help.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Daryl,

How excatly did you do your system backup?

Did you use TIME MACHINE or SUPER DUPER?

I'll wait till SD comes out with an approved Leopard version,
but I'm wondering which of the two pieces of software does
a better job of backing up, and which I can rely on better to
access my system in the event of a total meltdown.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

I have to pick just one method of backup.

I have one external drive available and just need one program
that will back up easily and restore my computer after most any
catastrophe.

Time Machine? Carbon Copy Cloner? Super Duper?

Pick one. I'll use it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd go with Time Machine. It's already there in Leopard, ready to go. Plug in your USB drive and it will start up.

I've not tried this, but I think that TM works with drives shared on a network. So I think you can also have your MacBook Pro use that hard-drive for Time Machine as well.

And, if you later decide you do want to supplement Time Machine with SuperDuper!, your drive can serve double-duty. Time Machine works around whatever else is stored on a drive.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
For a complete backup that provides a bootable copy of your disk, SuperDuper! is the way to go. Until they put out their Leopard update, the Smart Update feature will not work, but I've continued using it with full backups on several different Macs and have had zero problems. While Time Machine has it's merits--allowing you to restore individual files--it does not provide you with a bootable disk volume...you first have to boot up with your Leopard DVD and select Restore and then wait for the data to copy. The full backup provided by SuperDuper allows you to begin working again instantaneously through the magic of Target Disk Mode.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay I'm getting confused.

I want to make a clone of my HD to another HD so that I can swap out HDs in my MBP and begin using it as if it were the same HD I just swapped out, but with more space. Will SuperDuper allow me to do this? What setting is it that does this? Thanks!

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK

Yes. Select your source drive and your target drive and select Backup all files. You can click on the Options button to see the various options available but the "Erase and copy" option will be the only one available unless you've paid for a software license.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Michael. What worries me about this is that before I upgraded to Leopard, I did exactly that with my 10.4.10 HD (to an external FW HD). When I did a "Get Info" on both drives right after the "copy all files" there was like a 3GB difference between the external and my Mac HD. Shouldn't they be a lot closer than that? I understand they say some unique system files don't get copied over, but 3GB worth of it? Thanks!

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
There a number of reasons why the sizes could be different, although 3GB seems a bit much. In any case, SuperDuper creates a running detailed log that you can check under the Window menu in order to see exactly what is and isn't being copied.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Michael is exactly right about how SuperDuper differs from TimeMachine. I'll add a few more comments that I ignorantly left out earlier.

Time Machine creates rolling backups of your data. It provides both a backup of your data and an easy way to recover files. If your hard drive crashes, you can recover from your TM backup. Two limitations are 1) backup is not bootable. You reinstall Leopard then recover from the TM backup. 2) The rolling backup process aggregates short-term steps as they "age". Hourly backups are aggreated into dailies; daily to weekly, and weekly to monthly. You don't have uinchanging snapshots, which is the conventional view of a backup system.

A program like SuperDuper! creates snapshots of whatever you backup. And you can create a bootable copy for immediate recovery. The limitations are 1) less frequent snapshots (daily or weekly versus TM's hourly 2) Less easy (I think) to recover individual files 3) $28 cost.

My opinion is that people will benefit more from TM's ability to immediately (and with panache) recover older files than they will from having a bootable backup. Most people don't need a bootable backup.

And this is why a really conservative person will have both TM and SuperDuper. Best of all features with no trade offs, except cost to have more storage space.

I think TM is great and think every Leopard user should turn it on without question. But I need to see how the long-term backup aggregation works to decide if I also want SuperDuper to complement it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, thanks to some gentle arm twisting by this group, I now
have two hard drives dedicated to my Mac.

I did a full backup using SuperDuper on my first drive.

The second I am using for Time Machine. The only concern I have
is that I have to leave the hard drive running constantly. Is it okay
to leave a powered external drive running day after day? Doesn't
it deteriorate the lifespan of the unit?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's not apparent why that would be. People leave computers powered all day, thus leave their internal hard-drives powered long-term with no deterioration of the unit. Also, my wife's new Seagate external sleeps when her Mac sleeps. My drive, an internal drive plugged into a generic external case, seems to have its fan on always but only run the drive for actual disk activity.

So, if you're going to have troubles, at least you'll have a lot of company when all of us external-drive owners also suffer similarly :)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Most external drives nowadays sleep after a few minutes of inactivity reducing wear.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Well, here's my opinion of backups at this time. Given you want to do it just before an Erase and Install of Leopard.

My first choice would be to use Disk Utility (DU). By using DU I would feel more confident everything is copied right since no programs or system files (the OS) are running when creating a cloned startup backup.

1. Put in Leopard disk and restart holding down the C key during startup to boot from the disk.

2. Once it's started choose Disk Utility on the menu bar. Hilight your the drive you want to clone (source drive/volume), click the Restore tab.

3. Drag the source drive/volume to the source field, drag the drive/volume to make a clone on to the destination field and check "Erase Destination" (make sure nothings on the destination drive/volume you need to keep.

4. Click Restore.

After it's done you'll have an external bootable clone, then you can test it. If it works commence to do an erase and install of Leopard.

My second choice (at this current time) is a tie between Superduper and CCC. As long as you restart holding the Shift key down to boot into safe mode having minimal processes running as possible (recommended in SD's help). It seems SD can backup Leopard okay but not compatible to smart update. CCC is suppose to be fully compatible, I'm just not sure now compatable since the latest released was before Leopard was released. Once SD is fully compatible I'd choose SD before CCC (I just feel more comfortable with SD).

My third choice would be Time Machine. Not bootable.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Daryl (et al.)

Does that Disk Utility method work if one wants to replace a HD inside a Macbook Pro?

For example, can I boot up using Leopard CD, clone that to an external drive, make sure the external drive is bootable, then replace the Macbook Pro HD with the new one, boot up from the Leopard CD, choose the external drive and clone it to the blank internal HD on the Macbook Pro and have it copy everything from the old internal HD to the new one?

I'm hoping the next time I fire up the MBP with the now-cloned internal HD it will boot up as it did before the HD swap?

Thanks!

PS - I'm using this route because I don't have a firewire 2.5" SATA external HD to clone from one internal laptop HD to the one, hence why I'm using an external HD to clone to, then back (it's a 3.5" external HD).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks