What's new

Official HTF "Peter Pan - Platinum Edition" review? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

This is the epitome of ignorance. You have no idea about what you're talking about, and you carelessly offend a whole group of people who know more about film, and care more about it, than you do.

It's no wonder that industry persons are so reluctant to participate here.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The restoration credits at the end of these films clearly show that there were people responsible for researching. And I applaud them for all of the work they put into this. That being said, I hope Snow White can be fixed for its next release, and the fades corrected.

DeeF

Screenwriter
The most alarming thing to me is how different all these comparisons look. I'm sure Disney will claim that the most recent DVD is the most correct, overall, but I'm also quite sure they made the same claim for the 2 previous DVDs.

But they are so different! And the differences aren't subtle.

I'm in the camp of thoroughly confused, and worried about the future of these classic animated films.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

No one has suggested that technical miracles somehow obviate the necessity to be faithful to the source as intended by its creators.

All that's been suggested is that we here, on this thread, don't have the information to validate what the reference point is for the intended look. Even painted cells don't serve as objective reference material without knowledge of how the original animation team intended to use the film process to achieve final color balance (do you have those notes from the animation team? Have you personally seen the original color negative projected via the proper lamp bulb prior to fading?). And one person's memory of the color they saw in a projected print, which most likely was not an original print, though helpful, is hardly cause to deride this latest presentation. Don't confuse the balance and reasoning capabilities of some members with just trying to walk the technically-popular line.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I guess a possible silver (not gray :D ) lining is that these films are loved enough to elicit such discussion and debate.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Indeed,

and I certainly agree that the differences seen on these various home-video editions, as well as with cel-scans, warrants good discussion. It's through conversations like this that awareness is raised, both in the minds of consumers and studio staff alike. My only discomfort is making wild accusations about what's right/wrong and which industry groups care/don't care based on specious evidence in this very subjective arena.

Remember the yellow-tint to the new Wizard of Oz? We had most members claiming foul-cry that Warner (and LDI) had changed color in some nefarious way, even though industry sources (like RAH) indicated that the yellow-cast may very well have been the proper historical look. Of course, there will always be challenges represening the color of Technicolor prints in electronic media, even when the best of reference materials are available to a mastering team. We can be both quick to discuss, and slow to judge, at the same time.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Forgive me if this sounds naive, but how do we know what the film is supposed to look like? Most of us probably didn't see the original theatrical release, and subsequent restorations have probably altered the colors and look of the film. Because we're seeing - in this thread alone - very different films in terms of color and sharpness.

So I guess my question is: What is the point of reference that represents what the film should look like?

(This is an easier question with a newer film, like Star Wars, where we can be quite sure that Vader's lightsaber wasn't supposed to be pink, for example.)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Wow... this was back at post #3.

I'm not going to kid myself in knowing what the true color is suppose to look like, though I personally prefer the 2002 colors. Having said that, I really really can't stand the horrible edge enhancement from the 2002 release so I picked up this release. And I won't hide the fact that once this title is released in HD I'll be picking it up again. But until that time I'll await for more discrete evidence on the color issue and hope that the HD release gets it right (whatever "right" happens to be).

baracine

Agent
Real Name
Benoit Racine

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Sam,

that's precisely correct. No one posting information in these threads has enough information to know anything conclusive about what the color should or shouldn't look like. Without real evidence one way or another, drawing conclusions isn't possible, despite what personal opinions about what looks "better" may infer.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Even if the people posting here here HAD seen a theatrical screening in 1953, no one would ever be able to convince me they could accurately identify what each of the shades of colors were on each separate reel of film.

baracine

Agent
Real Name
Benoit Racine
I'm thinking maybe the PE came with a pair of blue-green viewing glasses in order to restore the missing colours. Maybe mine fell off or something...

I know...

Graham Perks

Second Unit
If you're grabbing colors from a computer then you'd better have calibrated your display. After calibration you may see totally different colors.

My wife just complained that her printouts weren't matching the screen (again). I calibrated with gretagmacbeth's Eye2One calibration tool (www.gretagmacbeth.com) and what was printing red now prints the correct shade of orange - yes calibrating the monitor made the printouts differ! (This is with a digital (DVI) connection to an LCD, from a G5 Mac.)

Crazy but without proper calibration you guys are arguing colors differences when one guy is posting a yellow image and the next guy's screen is showing it as brown!

No wonder you are arguing, the chances you are looking at the same colors as each other is zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks