What's new

Official HTF "Peter Pan - Platinum Edition" review? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As predicted, this thread has spun away from issues about the release itself and devolved into a morass of sniping and bickering.

It's too bad. I used to really look forward to the Disney feature film/software threads. But they have become quite predictable, repetitive, non-informative and just plain nasty. :thumbsdown:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Perhaps we could start a thread in the After-Hours Lounge called "How Do I Know the Color Blue to You is the Same as the Color Blue to Me", emphasizing a mellower late night college party tone?

Regards,

baracine

Agent
Real Name
Benoit Racine

There is no sniping and bickering, just a healthy exchange of contradictory opinions. This thread must have been very informative for people like you who were not aware of the colour issues of this latest release and, for that reason, I am glad to say it has more than fulfilled its purpose.:emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Benoit:

It would be arrogant for you to assume that this thread has been beneficial/informative to me after I've just declared it not to be so.

Let's see if I can sum up the main points of the positions taken here:

Benoit--"Yellows are skewed."
Dave Boulet--"Who among us knows what the original theatrical color representation was?"
Others: "DVD looks great!"

I appreciate that you might think this has been a "positive exchange of contradictory positions"...and to a small extent, it has. But for the most part the thread has been hijacked by your assertion (as correct or incorrect as it may be) that the yellows are jacked.

If you took the time to read back through most any other review thread on a Disney animated feature here at the HTF you'd see much of the same discussion covered already: questions about framing, color, restoration issues, audio mixes...all coming back to the same question--what was the original intent by the artists and Disney Company? These are issues that are exaggerated in the realm of animation for various reasons...and they are all valid discussions and make for great debate.

I guess I'm just missing the "great debate" part.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yeah. And what's your point?

It has been explained-to-death in numerous places during those other discussions I've referenced that screen caps are not an exact science and subject to various anomalies which make capture-to-capture comparisons difficult and often worthless.

As David has so obviously pointed out yours is a valid opinion. But it is just that--an opinion. And you are welcome to it. But there are just so many questions about original intent with the animated features that to rely on a 54 year old memory for color correctness is a stretch for anyone.

While I'm guessing you quoted me to show that I have drunk the kool-aid you have provided. Don't. I intended, at the time, to explain that I now understood which-release-was-which since, intuitively, I expected the older release to be positioned on the left. And, that based on that new understanding, it seemed that there might be trouble with the colors in the new edition.

I am unconvinced. What I hope for in this these threads (and this is one of the reasons I am disappointed with this particular thread) is more people weighing in on their opinion. While the page count is piling up...it is filled mostly with this kind of pointless give-and-take between you & David and you & me about garbage that's got little to do with the DVD presentation itself.

baracine

Agent
Real Name
Benoit Racine
I don't think the way a film looks on DVD can be considered "garbage". What are we supposed to talk about, the lovely artwork on the cover?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've closed this thread temporarily so that everyone can take a deep breath. When it reopens (which will be shortly) let's move on from the color issue. It's been thoroughly aired, and it's clear from everything on this page that there's nothing more to add.

M.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
For me, the "Platinum" Editions are hit or miss. Occasionally, they're eye-opening experiences, such as SNOW WHITE, FANTASTIA (yes, I know it isn't technically a Platinum) and SLEEPING BEAUTY. However, I do feel that, currently, Disney Home Video has no regard for whether or not a film is accurate, just so it's deemed "pretty" to a modern audience. It's all about selling more copies. Was THE LITTLE MERMAID truly in need of a restoration? If so, how come it really doesn't look so good on its "Platinum" release? Why have the Treasures been discontinued? Why has the quality of supplements on the "Platinum Editions" steadily declined since the initial outings? The truth is, Disney Home Video just doesn't care. As long as it sells, they'll cater to the lowest common denominator.

Is this version of PAN better than previous ones? In some ways, yes. Is it accurate? Who can say? I can say that I prefer the older color timing, but the clarity of the new transfer is nice.

I guess it comes down to it not being the perfect release, but so few releases (by anybody) are. I'm glad the film is out there and I'm glad that they didn't edit for PC reasons but I still await the "perfect" edition I so crave as a fan of the film.

Maybe someday.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Folks should note that Disney "cheaped out" with the Little Mermaid and didn't use LDI like with their other palt. releases. They just applied DNR and it shows!

Also, I had heard that the decision to discontinue the Treasures sets turned out to be a rumor and that more are on the way. Anyone care to comment?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I think we're waiting to hear about that one. Leonard Maltin has said they have been cancelled, Disney deny this. We won't know until we get the next wave announcement, or we realise it has been a couple of years since the last wave.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As for being deemed "pretty" to modern audiences, on another thread (about the Fox/Faye musicals), we've been discussing that those who make these transfers are making the final decisions about brightness and depth of color. Disney is hardly alone in this. Every studio dealing with color films has made both good and bad decisions on that score.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
To wit, the first, wretched version of The Sound of Music on DVD, although colour wasn't the only concern on that release. A good example of bad colour judgment is the first release of Lawrence of Arabia on DVD.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of LDI remasterings being on the blue side...I was checking out Snow White and the final scene before "the kiss" the entire forest is blue and purple...her sleeves are purple instead of blue. I wonder if this was caused by their equipment or if it was intentional?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks