What's new

*** Official FINDING NEVERLAND Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Finding Neverland" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Finding Neverland" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

George See

Second Unit
Ok so what's the deal here? I can't find neverland so to speak. My local Mall (regal) cinemas had it the wednesday before thanksgiving all showings sold out and then by the saturday after thanksgiving they weren't showing it anymore? A 3 day run seems very unusual for a movie with amazing reviews and sold out showings on opening day (not to mention female heart throb and all around great actor Johnny Depp). I've only got 2 theaters within 2 hours of me playing this..I thought it was supposed to be in wide circulation, does anyone know what the deal is? Is there some problem with the prints themselves forcing it to be pulled from theaters or something?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's been in limited release (like sneak peak on Saturday night, etc), but I think it'll be in wider release in December.

George See

Second Unit

Thanks for the info, the commercials i've seen on TV saying now playing everywhere would appear to be a bit deceptive then. I guess i'll keep my eyes open, the regal i'm refering to had a sneak preview on a saturday night one showing earlier in november, so I thought when they got it around thanksgiving that was the real release. It just seems to be a very wacky release.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Me too. I also heard some sniffling from some ladies sitting nearby.

I'm a pretty easy cry for a guy, but still, the film has to be good. And this got me about 4 different times, and not so much because something terribly sad happened. More in the beautiful moments of kindness and love.

The release for this film was rather poor. I missed it in Indianapolis altogether it seems and got lucky in seeing it while visiting Phoenix.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hullo,

Would someone who knows virtually nothing about Peter Pan be able to enjoy this movie? I don't even know the basic story, only that Peter Pan can fly and the bad guy is Cpt Hook.

--
H

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I don't think that knowing anything about Peter Pan is a pre-requisite to enjoying the film but it certainly adds to it. This film is first and foremost, a drama. If you like that genre, you may want to give this one a try.

~Edwin

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
That's good to hear Edwin, I will, especially after that DGA nom. Thanks.

--
H

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I really liked this film, so I'm glad to see it will be getting a lot of attention from Oscar. I thought it was fading.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Well said Seth. Indeed, the beautiful moments of kindness and love were the reasons I got those tears you speak of.

Perhaps the most emotionally powerful scene I've witnessed in years was the play re-hash in Sylvia's home. Orchestrated with just the right touch. Powerhouse performances by all.

I hope this wins Best Picture. It's the best film I've seen in years.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I'll port over a couple of points I made in the review thread, in case anyone wants to chime in on them:

Regarding the pirate-ship scene with Depp playing Captain Hook, certainly one of the best scenes in the movie, how AWESOME would it be if there were some outtakes of him doing it in the style of Captain Jack Sparrow? :D

My review thread comments on Radha Mitchell, who was clearly a weak link for me, though I thoroughly enjoyed the movie overall:

I thought she was just lousy, completely wooden and one-note the whole way through. Plot-wise, her character's arc is basically an "adult" counter-part to Barrie: having most likely been enchanted by his imagination when she was younger, she now wants to focus on more "grown-up" things like political activism and high-society social life, so she feels like she's outgrown the eternal kid in her husband. But none of this came across in Mitchell's performance, as she just seemed completely boring. I really didn't buy her as Barrie's wife at all--what did he see in her? Though I don't want to harp too much on an actor whom I've never seen in anything else before, it just seemed entirely obvious to me that she was way out of her league in all of her scenes with the always-interesting Depp.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Just saw it, liked it except for the last 5 minues which I found unecessary.

:star::star::star:

--
H

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I harped on it mainly because it got to the point where she was pretty much taking me out of the movie.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Took in my 2nd viewing last night of FN. One of my new years resolutions (and there are plenty!) is to avoid the trap of knee-jerk reactions. This applies to everything in life. In fact I'm using some of that philosophy-while not really scientific-in the the work I do with children & their families.

That said, Finding Neverland was every bit as magical as it was the first time. It's just one of the sweetest, thoughtful, and caring movies I've seen in a long time. Already skyrocketed to the top 10 of Timobi's Greatest Films of All Time. :D Surely, I should wait for time to make that call, but FN is really special.

The soundtrack is genious. I'll be looking for this when I go searching for the Vanity Fair anniversary edition of Star Wars here soon. Beautifully orchestrated and performed. Rich piano solos. Music that is heart-felt without manipulating you. Oscar better honor this one. :b

Usually when I hear such great thing about a movie and then see it, I sometimes get underwhelmed at first. Not true here. FN delivered in spite of lofty expecations and praise.

It seems to be fading a bit at the box office. I agree with those who have said the marketing has been spotty. Maybe it will get new life after the Globes on Sunday???

Well, I can't control the awards. But give this film a chance if you haven't already.

Somewhat surprisingly, Depp shows real depth and a knockout performance. Winslett is Winslett. She's getting alot of press from her Spotless Mind performance and deservedly so. But she's also terrific here and just elevates the scenes she's in.

Don't expect to be blown away with each scene and moment. Rather expect to slowly care about these people; share in the tender moments; feel the inspiration; and ultimately feel the kindness this film displays.

That does sound kind of cheezy, so sorry for that. :b

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
FWIW the January 14th issue of Entertainment Weekly concentrates on Oscar and has both Johnny Depp & Kate Winslett on the cover. And it has a great article and a Q&A with them both. Great stuff.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Wow

I saw Finding Neverland today and was completely unprepared for how wonderful this film was. It was near perfect.

I was moved close to tears a few times. It was such a beautiful, wonderous, emotionally fulfilling film that I find it hard to express how impressed I was with it.

The performances were excellent. Depp and Winslett had real chemistry, but the film was stolen by the actor who played young Peter. Those eyes! Got me every time.

To me, it was better than both The Aviator and Million Dollar Baby because neither of those films moved me like Finding Neverland (M$B was close). While those films are excellent in their own right, I would choose Finding Neverland over them because I liked the way it made me feel.

Young

It's my favorite film of 2004.

:star: :star: :star: :star:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Mine too. This was a tough choice for me too, but like you said Tino, this one touches you in ways that are the reasons I love going to movies. Well said. Certainly, M$B is incredibly rich and moving. Deep, and deals with an issue that is difficult. Both are films that were acted flawlessly, directed masterfully and with tender care, great scores, and unforgettable experiences.

:)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
You know Tim, it's pretty sad that Finding Neverland has virtually no chance of winning Best Picture at this years Oscars, especially since it's director, Marc Forster, wasn't nominated.

Million Dollar Baby and The Aviator have all the momentum while Finding Neverland seems to be the forgotten child. Too bad. I haven't seen Ray or Sideways (will this weekend though), but I doubt either of those films will affect me the way Finding Neverland did.

And speaking of the actor who played young Peter (can't recall his name right now), he will be reunited with Johnny Depp playing Charlie in Tim Burton's Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks