What's new

*** Official Eternal Darkness (Gamecube) Review & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
OK, I need real help now.

I'm on Chapter 11 and I'm stuck.

I have to find a detonator for a C4 bomb. Where is it???

I won't use GameFAQs.com to find this out, mainly because I might end up spoiling something else. Then again, I'm almost at the end of the game (over 11 hours right now).

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Morgan

If I remember correctly I found it down a ladder, but to get the ladder there was a giant stone rune thing in the way. Use the summon spell to summon those little crawling things that teleport things. Target the stone rune and teleport it out of the way.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I am really enjoying this game, BUT, it is way too easy. There is virtually NO challenge to it whatsoever and I have NEVER died!
It's great to look at, a great story, but jeez, how about making it a bit more difficult. I am playing through having chosen the blue artifact but can it be that much more difficult choosing one of the other ones??
Resident Evil, IMO, kicks it's ass in every category.:D

Craig A

Stunt Coordinator
Tino, the game isn't as hard as RE I agree. It does get harder as it goes along though. The final few chapters have some more challenging puzzles/combats.

I do think the story is more original (or at least not nearly as over-used) and far more well written. I can't believe that you would think that the sound design and voice acting are better in Resident Evil.

I beat the game last night with the Green alignment (apparently the hardest one?) and I'm eager to start over and do things differently this time. There's enough weapons & spells in the game to provide plenty of variety a second (and third?) time through.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I'm nearly finished with my third time through. The red alignment is definately the hardest, those damn regenerating red zombies are a pain in the ass to kill. The green alignment is probably the easiest, those green zombies go down with one hit to the head...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the help, but that part wasn't what I was stuck at. Figured out what I needed to do, then did it.

Beat ED once so far. Took just under 13 hours. Now around 2 and a half hours into my second game and already around halfway through.

I love how the game changes each time through. Even cooler is how you can then watch all the cutscenes in all 3 versions.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I did Green already. That's done.

Now I'm on Blue. I'm around Chapter 10 or so (4.5 hours I think).

Next up, Red.

Anyone get the uber-ending yet?

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Ok so I'm in need of some help.
I'm at the end of chapter 9 and I'm fighting that guardian thing. I can't beat it. I can't get past stage 2 when it starts to summon zombies. This game has been a breeze so far(blue alignment) but this part is friggin impossible. I've checked guides and all that and they tell me what to do but it doesn't seem to work for me. Any advice?
So far though, this game is good but not great IMHO. It just doesn't grab me like a game I really like does. Don't get me wrong, it's not that it's a bad game I just think I was expecting a more traditional survival horror experience. Not sure if I'll be platying this one through 2 more times.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Don't get me wrong, it's not that it's a bad game I just think I was expecting a more traditional survival horror experience
Hope that helps.

I just beat my second time through and already at Chapter 4 for my third time through (this time, I'm doing the red one).

The second time through, I got the Purple rune (I think its Mantorok). Is there any point to getting this? I didn't get it my first time, and it didn't seem to really help me much (though I think its supposed to be like an omni-Rune).

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The mantarock rune is has different and better effects than the other runes. If you cast recover with it you will get both health and sanity back, if you cast reveal invisible with it, you will make yourself invisible, etc.

I got the uber ending today, not a huge difference, but does suggest a sequal.

As far as the boss fight in Ch 9, you can take each stage out in one hit if you cast a 7-point spell instead of a 3-point one, but your timing will have to be better, since you'll have to start the spell before he starts his 'charging'.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is one of the most impressive games I've ever played. Control scheme and combat mechanics are excellent, the sound is fantastic (I love the whispering voices), and the story/character design is excellent (reminiscent of something H.P. Lovecraft would have come up with, don't you think?).
The game is so easy cheesy. No help from the net nor a stagety guide at all. I've beaten it already once, and bought a stragety guide to get everything the second time. (actually, I'm anal about getting every little minute detail of the game. For example, I found out there's just one extra note you get from your grandfather if you don't discover the dresser key early in the game. And yes, this has caused me to restart from scratch :D ).
I picked the green thingy with Pious.
Awesome game. Corpse in the bathtub made me literally jump from my seat. Needless to say, the landing was painful.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I agree with all of the above! After reading this thread for days, I finally broke down and got a GameCube (now, I have all three systems and have joined the ranks of my multi-console brethren!) just to play this thing.
Eternal Darkness is totally immersing. I'm only about four hours in, but am having a blast with it. My advice to others like me lurking around here... This is simply a game not to be missed. Believe all the hype and the rave reviews. Eternal Darkness is THAT good!!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: If you've been sitting on the GameCube fence waiting for Metroid or Mario to come out before making your purchase, do yourself a favor and buy it now and play this game... you won't be disappointed! Highly recommended!!
BTW, the WaveBird ROCKS!!:D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I love this game. I'm just sad to see it end...yes, I've gotten the uber-ending. Took me 13 hours 45 minutes, then 6 hours 30 minutes, then 5 hours 41 minutes.

The uber-ending does give a neat little twist on the ending, but its nothing THAT special. They could have used it as the opening for the next game (if there is one, which there better be).

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
GameSpot just named Eternal Darkness as their "Game of the Month" for June. Read all about it HERE, and if you have GS Complete, check out their video review, too.
Gary

Andre F

Screenwriter
I think that was a big problem for the game. It really did seem like a survival-horror game, but it's not.
That's exactly what I like about it! I'm not much in horror games but had to pick this one up just to experience all the cool effects. I'm about two hours in and enjoying it quite a bit.
-Andre F

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Ok I'm at the end of the game and am once again getting extremely frustrated.
I'm fighting Pious and getting woooped. I chose the blue Rune at the start of the game and I don't have the purple alignment or the always enhancted gladius. I know I use shield to protect myself and enchant the normal gladius to hurt pious and that floating thing but I always die during his second stage. I don't have enough magic to keep casting even Green 3 point enchant item, recover or shield. As I run around trying to regain magic he always kills me.
Any advice? I've checked FAQs but they all make it sound simple as they probably had all the goodies which I don't. I just want to beat this game so I can get rid of it. It's a decent game but I just couldn't get into it. I have zero interest in replaying it. If I keep losing the final fight, I can only hope I'll have enough interest to keep trying to finish the game at all.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
How can you not have the
enchanted gladius

Don't you NEED to get it to finish the game?

You don't need the other rune you mentioned, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks