*** Official Eternal Darkness (Gamecube) Review & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig A, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Craig A

Craig A Stunt Coordinator

Am I allowed to start this? Oh well, delete it if I'm not [​IMG]
    ED is waiting for me to get home and play! I can't wait!
    Anyone with comments that include spoilers, please mark as such, and use the spoiler UBB code!

2. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

Cool, I'd be really interested in everyone's impressions. It's an intriguing looking game.

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Goin out tonight to pick it up. I'm really excited. It better be in stock [​IMG]

4. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Have mine at home. As usual Im waiting to get the hell out of work to play it!

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

When you're done playing some, just tell me how evil the developers are. I've heard of some nasty tricks being used for when you go crazy...

7. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'm very interested to here what people think about this game.
    -Andre F

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Go here to see the Gamespot review. I just might have to get this game.
    -Andre F

9. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I've got about 4 hours in it. The graphics aren't anything to boast over at all, just normal. RE looks better, but I think eternal darkness is more fun.

Some of the insanity things:

You start shrinking into the floor until you disappear. You cast a spell and it explodes you instead. You are walking around and your head pops off, then your limbs one by one. The camera shakes and tilts. And the oddest one so far that I've seen, the game kinda resets itself to show a quote that is part of the intro, then it flashes and goes back into the game...freaked me out. There are sound effects also when you are going crazy, like doors will knock and screaming...way yeah cool.

10. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

This looks like a buyer. I'll be picking it up later this week. Keep your impressions coming!

Calvin

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Well, since the reviews are out no need for a lengthy review here. So far the reviews are spot ON! I'm about 3-4 hours in myself and I'm starting over cause I just want to experience and absorb the first sections of the story. The best word to describe Eternal Darkness=POLISHED. High production values abound.
    Things move along nicely right from the start. You get intriduced to the first character and things go from wierd to wierder pretty quickly. One thing I like allot about the game is that it doesn't waste time with lengthy cinematics at the get go. It tells you what you need to know and you take it from there. I've always had a level of respect for Silicon Knights since they worked onthe first Legacy of Kain game and their story telling abilities come through in this game.
    The game plays great, the combat system is very reminiscent of Vagrant story in that you can select what body parts you wish to hit on a creature.(Of course the game is real time so you dont pause and see the green grid but you get the idea[​IMG]). So far I've played a few characters and one of the first things you'll notice when you switch to a new one is that each character has its own unique play style. You can't play the one like the other. One may be able to run for a good distance and not get tired while another may start weezing after a couple of seconds. Another example I wanted to mention is that there are distinct differences in the melee cpabilities of the characters you use. The Roman is most definitely allot more adept at fighting the the character you use right after him. Nice detail!
    Graphically I don't see anything to complain about. The mansion you begin in has some nice texture work and it gets better from there. Most seemed underwhelmed by the games appearance but as mentioned above reviews have said the more you progress the more eye candy you get. My opinion? Eternal Darkness runs butter smooth and looks great. The story and the gameplay take precedence here anyway.
    I completely agree with Mike on the insanity affects. Talk about wierd! Heres one:
    I had the blower weapon with the Egyption girl. I walked into a room and there darts conveniently placed all over the room. I start picking them up, happy that I had found some ammo, when BAM! The screen turned white and my cutie egyption lass yells "This can't be happening, its not real!". OOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKK! WIERD!

I'll have to wait until I beat the game to give final judgement but so far ED looks to have earned those 9.x's it got. Fantastic game and a must-buy if you have a Gamecube!So far this ones ranking right up there with RE!!( [​IMG] )
    EDIT: I forgot to mention. The voice acting is right up there with Soul Reaver 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2. I can't tell you how much this adds to the credibility and enjoyment of the story and the game. Kudos to SK and Nintendo for getting some damn fine actors for this one.
    2nd Edit: Wanted to go ahead and throw in that ED is 16:9 and does support 480p! YES!

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Damn...I hate not having money. I can officially raise my "I know exactly what I would buy if I had $500" remark to "I know exactly what I would buy if I had $550."

13. Craig A

Craig A Stunt Coordinator

Since I only want to play the game when the sun goes down (ambience and all), I only made it about an hour through. But that hour held great promise of things to come. I found the graphics to be fine, but not mind-blowing. Then again, I haven't had any "insanity effects" either. The game runs very smoothly, and I haven't experienced any sound skips like Ken mentoned. But he's had more play time than me [​IMG]
    I did find the memory card usage a bit buggy. I bought the new 251 memory card, and put it in slot B (since a chat on IGN revealed that E.D. does support memory cards there). I could save my settings in that slot, but when I started the game it warned me about the memory card in slot A not having enough room to save. There was much fiddling about after this, and I ended up just plugging the card into slot A. After seeing the save menu in-game, I think it would have worked in slot B anyway.

14. MikeAlletto

another insanity "trip"

I was moving in a room and the screen went out and it said something about to be continued in, then it said the title of a sequel, by nintendo. I was laughing too much that I didn't really see what was written

15. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

16. Willy burz

Willy burz Stunt Coordinator

Ughhhhh, it's sold out everywhere here. Dang [​IMG]

17. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

I picked up a copy of this yesterday afternoon, but only had an hour or so to enjoy it.
    So far, [​IMG]. The graphics, as has been stated, are not as good as Resident Evil, but they are quite good nonetheless. I particularily found the:
    Underground ruins to be exceptional. All of the booby traps, from arrows to big ol' blades, plus camera angles that shift really made me on edge while playing.
    I'm really glad I went into this game knowing nothing about the plot, it should make the whole experience a lot more fun.

18. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I picked up my copy on my way to work today. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck at work and I won't be able to enjoy this title until I get home at 1:45am. Perhaps I can take off an hour early tonight... [​IMG]
    I'm glad to hear you guys are enjoying it. That gives me high hopes that this game is all it's cracked up to be.
    Even better, I picked up a Rotel 1066 pre-amp this past weekend, so I'll be able to not enjoy the game in glorious 16:9 widescreen mode, but I'll also be getting the experience in Dolby Pro-Logic II!
    I wonder if I could take off a couple hours early....

19. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Hmm, got my hot little hands on this puppy tonight, only got about an hour into it, which means just the Pious level for me, but I love it. Unless it drops off in quality somehow, which I doubt it will, I officially love ED. [​IMG]
    The combat's just right for me. It's challenging, but not impossible. The use of the targeting plus the death blows is just genius. And talk about freaky! Even without the insanity effects, the game's just got this vibe that unsettles you. I get spooked out just by the occasional spitting of the torches...
    Very well-acted and well-written thus far. Loved that hoser of a cop in the intro movie, what a chump! I have to say that ED more than delivered what I hoped from it. The camera angles are done well too, a very nice change.
    More spoilerishly...
    Even without the obvious spoiler on the back of the box, pretty easy to tell Pious was toast. Poor bugger exists in a time before horror films, so he doesn't know not to listen to beckoning voices [​IMG]. As for insanity, well, the dancer girl started flipping out on me because I ended up practically draining her sanity meter. Next thing I know, it looks like my TV just turned itself off! It's fascinating, but even when you know that the game is doing all this, it's still enough to give you the wiggins.
    I have to say, Resident Evil fanatic that I am, that this may very well be the game that takes the crown for game I most enjoy. Looking forward to playing it through three times just for the uber-ending...

20. MikeAlletto

I'm finding the whole thing extremely easy once you figure out how it all works. Yes I'm having a blast, but I expected it to be a little more difficult. I'm on chapter 7 (or is it 8? I lost count) and I've only played for about 4 hours of time.