What's new

*** Official Eternal Darkness (Gamecube) Review & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Rob: If you honestly think I did that, I didn't..calm down. Lighten up.
Paul: I'm not being anal, it's just coincidental anger, you can't tell me that you have never spawned anger from events leading up to an anger management problem? I think not, and you know what I mean. That's just one of them.
John: Only for those who know which movie it's from, that's even if they know it's from a movie. ;)
"sheesh"
-Bert

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Only for those who know which movie it's from, that's even if they know it's from a movie.
Uh. The title of it kinda gives it away. And around here? Not a movie? What kinda crackpot do you have to be not to have a picture of a movie in your sig file.
Err. Wait. :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
So I got ED today and started playing it.

First impressions: control is a little weird. I would prefer to be able to walk when targeting someone's body parts. Graphics are kinda iffy right now, but are consistently getting better. The story is freaky, along with all the little freaky things. Sound is good, though at one point a sound came from the wrong channel...oh well...

Its a lot easier to keep your sanity meter up than I thought. The only effect I felt from it going down was
I walked into a room full of monsters, and a message popped up saying the controller port was not working, while I watched the monsters eat me alive...
but thats it. I haven't experienced anything else.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I found it easy to keep sanity up also (and I picked green my first time through it, I'm on blue now). The only time you have to worry about the sanity meter is if its zero, then you start losing health. Otherwise I just didn't worry. And when you get the recover spell its extremely easy to deal with.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, being the sadist I am, I keep trying to go insane to see the cool effects. You should have seen my brother and I laughing when
We were playing as the chick (Allia or something) and we got squished by big squisher thing.

Soon after that, the aforementioned insane effect went into...effect.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
John S.: Are you implying the only type of multimedia at HTF is movies and radio plays? No.
John T: I wasn't aware Buffy spawned a movie. ;)
Also, I have seen many others with non-movie associated sigs.
Stop debating me, this garbage spawned from me not wanting to see a spoiler untagged, in which, I did.
- Craig A
Stick to the thread topic please, and yes I know I am not a moderator...and no, I am not acting like one, I'm "defending" myself.
-Bert

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
I just got this game tonight. I hooked it up to my 51 inch toshiba widescreen tv via the component cables. Unfortunately I do not have pro logic 2. (only dobly digital/DTs or regular pro logic) let me say this game F'n rules!! It is very creepy. Definately play at night with the lights out it is awesome! finally a reason to play gamecube again.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm at the part where you're Maximillian and I'm stuck...damn.

I'm at the part where you go in the basement and fight the thing that looks like a conjoined monster that keeps casting magic

Any advice?

paul_v

Second Unit
Morgan,

Are you talking about the spider looking monster? Just attack it until you drop his shield. The moment you hit it it will teleport to a different location...run to it before it casts another shield and keep slicing at it (it will keep teleporting to a new location). You will eventually kill it using this technique

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Paul/Morgan,

Alternatively, if you cast the dispel magic spell of the appropriate strength (I think it's five points by then) and the opposing color to the creature, you can dispel his shield without having to wear it down. Little bit quicker, I'd think.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't have the Dispel magic yet, I think, so I'm gonna have to try the hack and slash method. Thanks!

I'm going to take my second 2 hours of my 6 hours (to get my permit) in a few minutes, so I'll try to beat that part in ED when I get back and I'll tell you how I did.

Anyone know how many chapters there are in this game? I'm in Chapter 5 (I think) and I'm only 3 or so hours (if not less) into the game.

Craig A

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have made it to the point of being able to solve the puzzle in the Telescope room. I'm assuming that I'm near the end :) I have found that the game can be as easy or hard as you want it to be. Yes after the first few chapters, you can keep your sanity jacked up at all times - but you don't have to. The same goes with combat. If you fry all the zombies with your torch, the fight is over quickly. But hacking them to death with a sword is more dangerous and more rewarding.
The story has been the strongest part of the game for me, and I've enjoyed watching the different threads come together as the story advances.
I won't have time to finish the game until this weekend, but I'm definitely looking forward to replaying the game to get the "uber-ending"!

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I had to restart the whole game 4 chapters into it because I'm an idiot. I saved while my character had low energy left and no way to recover enough life to make a difference. I am now making use of three save game spaces.
when i play as alex i save to one space when i play in a chapter as a character i save in another space. if i'm in a chapter and find an item and i think i can finish the chapter but i'm not sure i use the third. that way if i have to go back it won't be all the way back.
i love the game so far though very involving, i am glad that i went back and restarted to hear the story from the begining, i know i could have just played the cut scenes at any time but playing through is far more rewarding.
the sanity effects really do start to get to you too, not the volume down or mute on
so much as the character sinking into the ground or the blood running on the walls or the footsteps and knocks at the door, has anyone noticed the bust,i think its on the second floor that looks at you while you walk down the hall, i sat there walking back and forth just to be sure it was follwing me

spooky :)
---
jay

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Mark

If I remember correctly your not going to have dispel magic with max yet. That is a little further. Right after you beat that creature he runs back into the house to find a way to destroy the city under ground. But gets put into an assylum. You get the dispel magic thing a little later. I found the just running around slashing at it method worked just fine. If it was too far away shoot it a few times. The only boss where there seemed to be some kind of trick to defeat it was that huge floating thing in the temple or whatever it was.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Uh. The title of it kinda gives it away. And around here? Not a movie? What kinda crackpot do you have to be not to have a picture of a movie in your sig file.
- John Thomas
John T: You see, by saying that, I was playing off what you had said, provided above. Now, from one's persepctive, as mine, when you post I tend to look all around what's projected on my monitor, in doing so, I happen to see a pic of Sarah Michelle Gellar (sp?) as her Buffy role, considering the text around it, and I recognize that still picture. Now, read your quote, read what I said to you previously and restate who that ":laugh:" is really aimed torwards.
Also, from what I can conclude, you don't know how to comprehend certain things, no offense. So I have given you a definition of "sarcastically." Provided by Dictionary.com
sar·casti·cal·ly adv.
Synonyms: sarcastic, ironic, caustic, satirical, sardonic
These adjectives mean having or marked by a feeling of bitterness and a biting or cutting quality. Sarcastic suggests sharp taunting and ridicule that wounds: “a deserved reputation for sarcastic, acerbic and uninhibited polemics” (Burke Marshall). Ironic implies a subtler form of mockery in which an intended meaning is conveyed obliquely: “a man of eccentric charm, ironic humor, andabove allprofound literary genius” (Jonathan Kirsch). Caustic means corrosive and bitingly trenchant: “The caustic jokes... deal with such diverse matters as political assassination, talk-show hosts, medical ethics” (Frank Rich). Satirical implies exposure, especially of vice or folly, to ridicule: “on the surface a satirical look at commercial radio, but also a study of the misuse of telecommunications” (Richard Harrington). Sardonic is associated with scorn, derision, mockery, and often cynicism: “He was proud, sardonic, harsh to inferiority of every description” (Charlotte Brontë).
You are the weakest link, Goodbye!
-Bert

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
So I've been playing this game for the last two days. Over 8 hours into it and I think I'm at Chapter 9.

I'm Peter Jacob right now. God is this cathedral huge...can't seem to defeat that big floating "guardian" boss, though I only tried once.

Isn't it amazing how this game makes to play the same area a few times, but it never gets repetitive or annoying? I love how they made the game so that when you think its getting really easy and you can just run right through it, it gets progressively more difficult, but is just easy enough to beat through. Some of these puzzles are really weird, but I only needed help once (to defeat that two bodied thing with Max).

Craig A

Stunt Coordinator
I definitely think the game is more enjoyable when you figure out the puzzles on your own.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I definitely think the game is more enjoyable when you figure out the puzzles on your own.
Yeah, and they aren't that difficult. They mainly involve finding some object. You aren't overloaded with items so its not hard to choose what to use. And there is a pattern to each chapter that once you figure out how the game works it is actually pretty easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks