What's new

Official AMAZON PRIME DAY (July 15th) Bargains and Purchases Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tempting, Sam, but there's no 4k content out there. No 4k broadcasting.

Even with the included drive of movies, it is not enough to entice me to buy.

By the time 4k content becomes more fruitful, the price on these displays will plummet.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
More DVD.s

12:20pm Eastern
In Living Color 5 seasons DVD
Family Guy S1-14 DVD

1:20pm Eastern

Man From U.N.C.L.E. Complete DVD

Chuck Complete DVD

Archer S1-5 DVD

Even the GC deal is now sold out of whatever number they set aside.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for posting all these "deals", Ron. A quick scan through the list saved me from bothering to go to Amazon at all. Like others are stating, there is nothing I am really interested in buying here.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Scott,

Not necessarily defending Amazon, but those are not all the deals.

You really should browse through the upcoming lightning deals as there may be something you like -- but you have to act fast.

Echo dropped down to about $125 and was sold out within a minute or so.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Add me to the ranks of the underwhelmed. The only upcoming Blu-ray deal which I see is Boardwalk Empire, which I already have.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I work in a group setting (corporate office), and I think everyone has an Amazon window up on their computer (our bosses are pretty cool about it) and, unfortunately, this Prime Day is going over like a lead balloon. The consensus is just too much "Meh" stuff on sale and not really anything that's grabbing peoples attention. I am a HUGE Amazon fan and Prime member so it's hard to hear so many of my co-workers dissing Amazon today because of the perceived lack of "WOW" factor during this sale (at least so far).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A mere $20 off Boardwalk Empire?!!!!

That's a Lightning Deal? Biggest sale event of the year?

No purchase!

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Well a bunch of Bluray showed up at 11:30 is a LD -- nothing I could find all that interesting and most have been this price or cheaper in the past

Movie Lightning Deals

The Blurays
Big Daddy $6.99
Appleseed Alpha $9.99
Underworld: Awakening 3D $12.99
The Karate Kid $6.99
Pompeii 3D $12.99
Sugar $4.99
No Good Deed $12.99
Wadjda $10.49
Tyson $7.49
Moneyball $9.99

The only think I can say about Prime Day -- as bad as Amazon has been, "Walmart Day" has been far worse.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Richard Gallagher said:
I was expecting it to come in at under $100.
So was I. It's a non-issue for me because I have the season sets but at the same time, $26 per season isn't a terrible price for a great series like Boardwalk Empire though.

All in all, this whole sale is exactly what I expected- 99% junk that I would never, ever need and 1% stuff that I either already have, it's not a great price or I'm not particularly interested in.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Ronald Epstein said:
Tempting, Sam, but there's no 4k content out there. No 4k broadcasting.

Even with the included drive of movies, it is not enough to entice me to buy.

By the time 4k content becomes more fruitful, the price on these displays will plummet.

100% agree. I may be purchasing a new HDTV in the next few months and I'm not sure which direction to really go.

I'm interested in UHDTV but until there is more content I think its silly to buy one. I was at Best Buy yesterday and they are really pushing the UHDTVs which again I think is funny because there isn't much out there for content.

I have a 55" Panasonic HDTV plasma G series from 2009. I'd love to get up to a 65" or so. I haven't reached any buying conclusions though.

I'm content to wait a while.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Osato said:
100% agree. I may be purchasing a new HDTV in the next few months and I'm not sure which direction to really go.

I'm interested in UHDTV but until there is more content I think its silly to buy one. I was at Best Buy yesterday and they are really pushing the UHDTVs which again I think is funny because there isn't much out there for content.

I have a 55" Panasonic HDTV plasma G series from 2009. I'd love to get up to a 65" or so. I haven't reached any buying conclusions though.

I'm content to wait a while.
I would wait as long as you can.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TravisR said:
So was I. It's a non-issue for me because I have the season sets but at the same time, $26 per season isn't a terrible price for a great series like Boardwalk Empire though.

All in all, this whole sale is exactly what I expected- 99% junk that I would never, ever need and 1% stuff that I either already have, it's not a great price or I'm not particularly interested in.
Same here!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
To ride on Crawdaddy's response....

I have to laugh at people jumping in at 4k displays right now.

Why?

You are paying for overpriced technology with absolutely no content to show for it.

By the time there's enough content, the prices of the 4k displays will dramatically decrease.

That is why, this past year, I bought the best plasma and best front projector I could. That will hold me over for another two years when buying 4k will mean something.

David Mahlan

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon's Black Friday event was a bonanza for movies and TV season sets 3-4 years ago, but (in my opinion) has gone steadily downhill since then. I found only 1-2 worthwhile deals in the past couple years. When they billed Prime Day as offering "more deals than Black Friday" my initial thought was "well, they've set themselves an incredibly low bar" - but I don't think they've even reached that bar.

Granted "more deals" does not equate to "better deals" or "more deals of interest".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Mahlan said:
Amazon's Black Friday event was a bonanza for movies and TV season sets 3-4 years ago, but (in my opinion) has gone steadily downhill since then. I found only 1-2 worthwhile deals in the past couple years. When they billed Prime Day as offering "more deals than Black Friday" my initial thought was "well, they've set themselves an incredibly low bar" - but I don't think they've even reached that bar.

Granted "more deals" does not equate to "better deals" or "more deals of interest".
http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/15/news/amazon-walmart-prime-day-customers/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks