What's new

Odd shadows on my new Sony HDTV (1 Viewer)

Dre Witt

Grip
I just received my sony 43ht20 the other day. When I watch dark scenes, say a nightime scene and a car's headlights approach, I'll see a reflection / defraction that looks like a "shadow" on the opposite side of the screen. This seems to happen whenever the scene is very dark and bright objects appear or move. I popped in VE to do my initial setup and I see the "arc" or a "crescent" shape being cast on the brightness calibration frame, opposite the high contrast square. Is this normal for RPTVs, or is there something wrong with the set?

This is my first RPTV and I am not too familiar them. Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise the set looks great.

Dre

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like the ghost images are being caused by internal reflections inside the chassis--a common occurrence among RPTVs. If you're adventurous, you could go inside and line the interior cabinet with non-reflective material. But I would suggest letting a professional do that. Also, poking around inside will most likely void your warranty. But I'm almost certain that's what you're experiencing.

Dre Witt

Grip
Thanks Jack... I suspected that may be the case, and I've heard of people doing that. I plan on having a ISF tech calibrate it in the next couple of months so maybe he'll be able to handle lining the interior for me.

Thanks Again.

Dre

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Until you get the calibration and lining, try turning contrast down to about 30% if you haven't already. The VE and AVIA discs will give you a max allowable setting, not necessarily the best setting to maximize tube life and minimize the "halo" effect you're experiencing.

I had the same problem with an Hitachi rptv, and was able to get it down to a tolerable level this way.

On my current Sony KP57HW40, I don't see it at all with contrast set lower than about 40%.

Alan Lackey

Agent
Steve:

How do you like your Sony? I have been looking around for new set and have just about locked in on that one.

I have looked at them side by side with other sets and really like the picture.

I would love to read another testimonial about this set to help convince me I have made the right choice! [laugh]

Thanks,

Alan

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Alan,
I love my Sony! I had an excellent Hitachi analog Ultravision for almost 3 years.

Last September I decided to go widescreen HD-ready and naturally chose an Hitachi (53 UWX10B). Had it for 2 weeks and grew to hate it. Dark parts of the picture had a green swampy tint, fleshtones looked posterized like heavy pancake makeup, and the variable stretch mode was almost nauseating--way too much stretch at the sides.

I was about to give up and go back to the analog set when I saw the Sony and decided to take a chance.

Within 20 minutes of it's arrival I was one happy camper. It's line doubling and stretch modes are much better than Hitachi's and overall it just felt and looked like a "ready for prime time" product, as opposed to something that was rushed off the assembly line.

I got a very nice picture after 20 minutes with AVIA. I did some research and found out how to ajdust/turn off SVM and set the color decoder to totally eliminate the minor red push.

The set's cinemotion drc mode is so good you don't really need to invest in a progressive scan dvd player right away, and the HD picture from my Tosh DST-3000 is amazing.

Based on my 7 months experience with this set I can heartily recommend it.

Dre Witt

Grip
Thanks Steve... I already have the contrast somewhere between 30 and 40% in the pro mode... I was watching Blackhawk Down (very dark pic) last night and still see the halo but not as bad, kinda getting used to it... Another problem's popped up though that i'm noticing. At the far right hand side of the screen (about 3/4 of an inch) I see a little red and green around hard lines and movement. Is this a convergence problem? The rest of the picture is fine, it's actually pretty awesome. I called Sony today and they're sending out a Sony tech to look at the TV. I figured I'd rather have them fix it if's just a slight convergence problem than send the whole thing back and maybe get a bum set. Am I wrong? Does it sound like a bigger problem?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Dre,
Sounds like a convergence issue to me. If that's what it is, the tech should be able to fix it for you.

If he can't fix it, go ahead and exchange the set. Sony quality control is usually pretty good, not much chance of getting a bum replacement.

If the tech does fix it by doing a manual convergence, be sure he saves the new settings to the flash focus memory.

Also make sure the set's been on for at least half an hour before he adjusts the convergence, as it drifts a tiny bit as the set warms up. Just turn the set on about an hour before he's supposed to show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks