What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Agreed. There's a version of this that works without Hayden Christensen, because you can put anybody inside Darth Vader's helmet. But Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru don't have armor to hide in.

And, based on those photos, both Edgerton and Piesse look closer to Phil Brown and Shelagh Fraser, which wasn't necessarily a given since aging is a crap shoot.

And this is actually a situation where the cast having aged 15-20 years since the last time we saw them onscreen in these roles will work to the advantage of the storytelling -- both the characters and the actors are pushing closer towards the OG A New Hope cast's real-life ages back in 1976. It's like if Coppola had managed to make his projected Godfather, Part IV starring the slightly-older De Niro as Vito Corleone, which would've been set "between" the flashbacks in Part II and the start of Part I (with Brando now in the role).

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
And this is actually a situation where the cast having aged 15-20 years since the last time we saw them onscreen in these roles will work to the advantage of the storytelling -- both the characters and the actors are pushing closer towards the OG A New Hope cast's real-life ages back in 1976.
Yeah. As far as I can remember, the last scene of Revenge Of The Sith was shot when they were in Tunisia for Attack Of The Clones in 2000 (so they wouldn't have to go back there for one scene when they did ROTS) so it'll have been just over 20 years since 'young' Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru shot their scenes. Amusingly, that's longer than the time between the events in Episodes III and IV.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw the HBO documentary about the cult that Piesse fell victim to, rooted for her as she got out of it, and the whole time thought, “no one messes with Aunt Beru!”

I’m especially glad to see that she’s back. She deserves the break, and I can’t wait to cheer her on in the role.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw the HBO documentary about the cult that Piesse fell victim to, rooted for her as she got out of it, and the whole time thought, “no one messes with Aunt Beru!”

I’m especially glad to see that she’s back. She deserves the break, and I can’t wait to cheer her on in the role.
Since Piesse is back in the news, I just saw about that for the first time today. I hope she can use this role to get things moving her way again.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Amusingly, that's longer than the time between the events in Episodes III and IV.
Hey, moisture farming is tough work and really piles on the miles.

At some point, I hope my hometown will be known for more than just political corruption and sex cults, but alas, it's not looking good...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At some point, I hope my hometown will be known for more than just political corruption and sex cults, but alas, it's not looking good...

You’ll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

(My hometown still thinks it’s 1969, and everyone is still dressed like they’re about to leave for Woodstock. :D)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I’m sure there’s a memo somewhere in the Lucasfilm archive detailing an explanation of how this is George’s original vision.
Obviously, the reality is that there are two different actors that have a gap of about 15 years between them are playing the one character but I think a very reasonable in-universe answer is that spending basically his entire life in the Tatooine sun would have left Owen's skin looking like a piece of old weather-beaten leather. If anything, he should have looked like Phil Brown in the prequels and the Crypt Keeper in A New Hope. :laugh:

"Look away, I'm... I'm hideous."

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Look, for all we know, Owen and Beru were boozers, hitting the bottle hard every night when the suns went down. That kind of hard living will age someone well beyond their years. I know plenty of people who are living proof.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
New interview with McGregor:

"I'm really excited about it," he says with glee. "Maybe more so than the first ones, because I'm older — I just turned 50 — and I'm just in a much better place."

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
^ Funny, just spotted a link to what appeared to be that article while on Yahoo!, but in the pursuit of hot, sexy clickbait, they've massively edited it down to just the cherrypicked, "[The] Star Wars prequels weren't well-received" and "[Shooting] the prequels was tedious"-bits, and none of the other context from the full-length Hollywood Reporter-piece (like where they discuss how the prequels have been gaining in stature and reputation over the decades since their initial release).

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Some updates:

- Vivien Lyra Blair has been cast as Leia.
- Sung Kang will play the Fifth Brother.
- Jason Isaacs will return as the Grand Inquisitor.
- Hayden Christensen will appear as Anakin in multiple Clone Wars-flashbacks.

The Grand Inquisitor in live-action form? Freaking awesome. Love that character. Very intrigued with what they're doing with this show now. Should be a lot of fun.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I love that the Filoni-produced animated series (Clone Wars and Rebels) are laying the basis for much of what we see in the live-action Star Wars universe.

BTW, I recently rewatched early episodes of Rebels, and in the second one, the crew goes to Kessel. This was an episode that debuted in 2014. It looked a whole lot like the Kessel we saw in Solo in 2018.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks