What's new

Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022) (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
deborah-chow.jpg

Deborah Chow to Direct Obi-Wan Kenobi Series Exclusively on Disney+

Fresh off The Mandalorian, Deborah Chow will helm the upcoming live-action series starring Ewan McGregor, with Hossein Amini confirmed as writer.

Deborah Chow has been tapped to direct the new Obi-Wan Kenobi series that is exclusively for Disney+. Ewan McGregor will be reprising his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi for the series, which takes place eight years after the events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Hossein Amini Talks His Upcoming Disney+ ‘Obi-Wan’ Series

Michael Slavin: Yeah, that’s fantastic thank you. So, one of your upcoming projects is the anticipated ‘Obi Wan’ show for Disney+ and I was wondering what you can say about the current production status of that series, I know you can’t say everything-

Hossein Amini: I can’t say very much. The plan is to start shooting in July, Ewan McGregor is signed on. I think he’s already said that it spans the period between episodes 3 and 4, so sort of after the fall of the republic and the massacre of the Jedi before the events of ‘Star Wars: A New Hope’. It’s fascinating in the sense that it’s a period where there is a lot of change in the galaxy and a lot of hardship. So, for Obi Wan’s character, he has a lot to adjust to given the loss of his close friends and the order that he believed in. It felt like a really exciting opportunity to explore a different side of a franchise that I always loved and I’ve always loved it because of its spiritual aspects as well as its fun and action elements, it seems to work on way more than one level which isn’t always true for those big franchises.

Michael Slavin: That actually links very well onto my next question because I want to sort of ask how is it where you’re tackling such an iconic Star Wars character, but you’re tackling it in perhaps the worst span of their life because everything they ever stood for has fallen and everyone they have ever known has been massacred before this new hope is given, so I was wondering how you’re approaching that aspect of the character.

Hossein Amini: For a writer that is a difficult journey to explore because there is so much conflict in terms of internal and external and that’s what you’re always looking for in a story. When things are going great it’s difficult to wrangle a story out of that because there is nothing to struggle against in both the interior and exterior sense. So, I’ve always been drawn to situations that revolve around some kind of crisis.

Michael Slavin: Previously Obi-Wan was actually reportedly planned as a movie so why do you think that this story works best as a six-episode limited series?

....rest at the link

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Hopefully we'll get surprised with a Liam Neeson voiceover cameo. It would be nice for Obi-Wan to have someone to talk to. I could see this movie about a hermit turning into something similar to Cast Away with long periods of silence. Will be curious what kind of interaction he'll have with the outside world.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
yep so sick of reading or seeing toxic Star Wars and Trek Fans, if i don't like it i don't watch it, i try to find the good with the bad. its to the point even a deent show like Mandalorian they rag on for Clicks. One complained because CGI animals died for cripes sake

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
OK, it looks like 2021 confirmed:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertai...g-for-these-iconic-star-wars-characters.html/

Regardless of what fans thought, the six one-hour long episodes are coming sometime in 2021, so there’s still a bit of a wait. But the scripts are written, and Deborah Chow is directing it all. Chow also directed two episodes of The Mandalorian.

The show might introduce a younger Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa
According to Reddit user u/Sidon_Ithano, Lucasfilm is casting a younger Luke Skywalker for the series, according to insider DanielRPK. “According to RPK, the series will show Obi-Wan meeting Luke for the first time since handing him over to Owen and Beru,” they write. As the user also notes, that source is just a rumor and not confirmed, but it makes a ton of sense. Obi-Wan is on Tatooine to watch over Luke, so even if you see an eight-year-old Skywalker from a distance, it’s on par with what we know the show is about.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Jar Jar Binks might be in the show, according to Making Star Wars:

https://www.slashfilm.com/rumor-jar-jar-binks-obi-wan-kenobi/

We never got any closure with the character in Revenge of the Sith, especially after becoming the fall-guy for Palpatine, so there's a lot of dramatic potential there. And they actually brought him back for The Clone Wars cartoon, and he was perfectly fine. I don't doubt that a lot of people found Jar Jar annoying, but he was never, ever a fraction as awful as he was constantly made out to be, similar to the Ewoks.

Ahmed Best would certainly be back. He's still in the Lucasfilm fold, being the host of the SW game/competition show coming to Disney+.
Considering the constant abuse Best suffered through for years from fucking whiny pissbaby "fans" that nearly made him take his own life during later years, I'm glad Best has come back stronger than ever.

Even if we didn't need him stepping in crap and waggling his tongue, a kind-hearted fool fits Star Wars perfectly.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Y'know what? I hope they do bring him back, if only as a middle finger to the people who have relentlessly trashed the character over the years. And I hope Obi-Wan is the great, must-see show we want it to be, so they have to watch it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jar Jar Binks might be in the show, according to Making Star Wars:

https://www.slashfilm.com/rumor-jar-jar-binks-obi-wan-kenobi/

We never got any closure with the character in Revenge of the Sith, especially after becoming the fall-guy for Palpatine, so there's a lot of dramatic potential there. And they actually brought him back for The Clone Wars cartoon, and he was perfectly fine.
Jar Jar was used in a novel called Star Wars: Aftermath- Empire's End (set about a year after Return Of The Jedi) which poignantly utilized the real world response to him. From Wookieepedia:
Because of his role in abetting the rise of the Empire, Binks was once again exiled by his people. After the
Battle of Endor and the rise of the New Republic, he performed in the streets of Theed as a clown who was popular with children but not so much with their parents. Many Gungan and Naboo adults refused to speak to him or say his name. Binks entertained the children by performing numerous antics including wagging his tongue, juggling glombo shells, spitting fish up in the air and catching them, dancing around, and swallowing and flushing out water through his ears.[24]

In 5 ABY, Binks encountered a young refugee boy named Mapo while performing in Theed's Plaza of the Catalan. Mapo was a charge at a nearby orphanage who had been badly burned after the Empire had bombed his home on the fuel depot Golus Station. Due to hideous burns, Mapo found few people who were willing to talk to him, let alone adopt him. After Binks caught a pik-pok fish with his long tongue, he asked the boy where he came from. Mapo related how he had lost his parents during the Imperial bombardment of Golus Station. Taking pity on the boy, Binks did another trick by swallowing water and spraying it out through his ears.[24]

When Mapo told Binks that nobody talked to him, Binks revealed that he was an outcast because many Gungans and Naboo believed he had helped the Empire. A sympathetic Mapo opined that he did not think that Binks had aided the Empire, and suggested that they were both outcasts. While Binks appeared to accept his fate, Mapo pointed out that he had a low chance of being adopted due to his disfigurement. When Mapo suggested that the two could go nowhere together, Binks replied that that was a "bombad"—or great—idea. When Mapo asked Binks if he could teach him to be a clown, Binks gratefully accepted Mapo's request and the boy's friendship.[24]
EDIT: I don't know why it split into two spoiler boxes but it did. :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Glad to see you guys are taking the high road there.

I’m sick to death of people my age lamenting the prequels and complaining endlessly about characters like Jar Jar. I don’t even particularly like Jar Jar, but nor do I think he’s the worst thing in movie history. These folks haven’t taken the high road in more than 20 years. I see no reason to let them off easy.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I’m sick to death of people my age lamenting the prequels and complaining endlessly about characters like Jar Jar. I don’t even particularly like Jar Jar, but nor do I think he’s the worst thing in movie history. These folks haven’t taken the high road in more than 20 years. I see no reason to let them off easy.

No offense, but this kind of attitude is a part of what feeds the flames of the toxic Star Wars fandom crap. Best thing to do IMO is just let it go. If you (the royal you) don't, you're no better than the people you're complaining about. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I don't see how including Jar Jar Binks in this TV series results in any sort of punishment for the people that hate him. Either they will not watch the show or they will watch it and his appearance will restoke the flames of their hatred. Then one will be able to see a steady stream of new vitriol directed at the series and, possibly, at the actor.

Anyway, the use of the character in "The Clone Wars" series did not seem to raise any hackles, so iit is a good possibility that his appearance will do nothing as a lot of the fans that you are referring to have either quit or have new things to complain about when it comes to Star Wars being "ruined".

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Jar jar is jar jar.

is there a thread started for the rogue one tv series?

saw rise of skywalker a second time today. Much easier to enjoy and take it in the second time. Loved it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks