What's new

Obi Wan in Indiana Jones (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I picked up the widescreen VHS editions of the Indy trilogy a couple days ago at Best Buy and am just now getting around to watching them. Indy in widescreen - YEAH!!!!

Anyway, I've been watching the trilogy as long as I can remember, and last night (for the first time) I noticed the name of the nightclub at the beginning of the Temple of Doom. Unless I'm smokin' crack, the name of the nightclub is Obi Wan.

Anyone else notice this or do I need one of those white sport coats that tie in the back?

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
And I believe the call-letters of the plane Indy escapes in at the begining of "Raiders" (I hate snakes! I hate 'em!) is OB-3PO.

Chris

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Spielberg & Lucas are always throwing stuff like this in their movies.
In Close Encounters, you can see an upside-down R2-D2 hanging on the mothership as it rises over Devil's Tower (it's in the very first close-up shot, with Melinda Dillon watching it from the bottom right of the frame).
In The Phantom Menace, a group of E.T.s can be seen during the debate in the Senate chamber.
I'm sure there are more.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The most famous (and obvious) example is the kid in a Yoda costume for Halloween in E.T.. In the documentary on the E.T. LD box set, Spielberg describes Lucas's reaction when he first saw the scene during a private screening.

M.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
There's also a scene in the end of "Raiders" where they show hieroglyphs on the walls, and IIRC R2-D2 was supposedly on one of them.

/Mike

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Not to get off topic, but what does IIRC stand for? I'd like to think i know all the commonly used acronyms, but this one i don't know.

Thanks,
Dalton

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
IIRC = If I Remember/Recall Correctly

MikeS, isn't that an "urban myth"? I seem to recall someone denying this. Has anyone actually seen the droids in the Well of the Souls? Just curious...

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Jim, I should have said "supposedly". I don't own the movie myself, so I don't know. Anyone care to check it?

/mike

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
There's also a scene in the end of "Raiders" where they show hieroglyphs on the walls, and IIRC R2-D2 was supposedly on one of them.
That is true. This is documented. There are pictures of the hieroglyphs in "The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark" book and a magazine that I have about the making of Raiders. It's actually a hieroglyph of Artoo and Threepio.
If you want to try finding them on home video, good luck! Theatrically they are quite easy to see. It's in the scene where Indy and Sallah are lifting the ark in the Well of the Souls. They are right in the middle of the screen, slightly out of focus (as the back wall is not the focus of the scene).

Neil - who will be celebrating Raiders' 21st anniversary tomorrow

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I just watched the Well of the Souls scene twice and couldn't find any 3PO or R2-D2.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think I might see Artoo. Look right above and to the left of the rightmost bird's head.

But, I think Neil's main point in including the photo was to show what scene to look for when watching the movie, not as a showcase of the hieroglyphics. Right?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
And isn't the licence plate of Ford's car in "American Grafitti" THX-1138?

Not unlike Kubrick throwing in the 2001 soundtrack at the record store in Clockwork Orange.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks