NYTimes article on DVD producers

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Hertzberg, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
  2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Interesting article. Incidentally, we spoke with Mark Rowen about Shrek 2 when we visted Dreamworks during the last HTF meet in LA.

Plus, I had no idea that an SE of Titanic was on the way. I'm sure my wife will be thrilled! [​IMG]

3. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Gotta wonder about this part:

What is this "voice-over" they speak of? As if NY Times readers wouldn't understand the term "commentary"? [​IMG]

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Remember the New York Times is the rag which spells compact disc as "compact disk."

Unless they finally accepted the real spelling, that is.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'm pretty sure I've seen the term "commentary" used in other NYTimes articles about DVD. Maybe the reporter actually listened to the Bouzereau commentary on the Criterion Carrie. It's so odd-sounding (he has a thick accent and speaks like an academic) that it really does seem like a different animal from contemporary DVD commentaries.

In all the Bouzereau-produced features I've seen on DVD, I've never heard him speak, even to ask a question. I suspect that's not an accident. [​IMG]

M.

6. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

He re-recorded all the questions on the Zemeckis & Gale Q&A track on the "Back to the Future" trilogy DVD's. I don't know if the audience participants weren't recorded or if they didn't clear the use of their voices but if you listen to that track, you hear a lot of Bouzereau. You can also hear his voice on some of the supplements of the "Taxi Driver" DVD.

7. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I don't think his accent is all that thick, though of course it's noticeable. As Bill just said, he does talk on the Taxi Driver DVD, specifically over the photo montage, as he reminisces about first seeing the movie when it came out in France and the impact it had on him and his cinephile contemporaries.

8. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

didn't realize he was actually French!