What's new

ntsc to pal help (1 Viewer)

chun

Auditioning
hi, my very first post ever!! beginner ht enthusiast, and since all other beginners are so kindly welcomed, i feel at ease
my prob:
ive bought a marantz dvd player (dv4100) while i was overseas in hong kong last christmas, and since bringing it back to australia, all the playback of my R1 dvds are b&w..ok. i understand the dvds are NTSC formatted and australian systems are PAL. but thats not the problem..
i have a toshiba multisystem tv (toshiba BAZOOKA 29BS90) which was apparently imported from japan and made for use for japan ONLY. therefore the conclusion drawn from japan being a nation using nothing but NTSC, this dvd player shouldnt have any problems with R1 discs, but still b&w
ive taken the player to an australian hifi shop and had it tested on their tvs, and fine, they playbacked colour. wats worse is that the only instruction book for the tv is in damn japanese (cant read it) and the original remote didnt come with the tv. so if there was a button on the remote to flip between ntsc and pal it would answer my problem.
my previous dvd player (shinco dvd-180) had function on the remote to change systems, but marantz doesnt.. is there a way i can get around this without getting a new tv? say a ntsc to pal converter? ive heard they reduce the signal and isnt worth the trouble
there is a whole long story to this and i dont want to bore you, its taken me 8 months to try and figure this out and im about to rip every living and none living hair outta my skull if i dont resolve this..
thanks
terry
;)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum. Is your name Terry or Chun?

Well, I assume the TV is NTSC, since if it was pal- you probably wouldn't get a b&w picture, rather you would get no picture at all. When you took it to the Hi-Fi shop, did they confirm the player was NTSC (and tested it on a NTSC set)?

From your post it sounds like you have a NTSC player, NTSC disc, NTSC TV set- so the issue of PAL should not come into the equation at all. The only thing PAL in your situation is the country you live in- which should have no inpact on the purely NTSC signal chain.

How are you hooking up the DVD player to the set? I have had bad Svideo cables which gave me a picture, but didn't pass the color info properly, and thus I got a black and white feed. Have you tried different connection types?

Do you have any other NTSC video devices besides the DVD player to try out. Sounds like the DVD player is fine (given the test at the shop), sounds like the TV set is NTSC so a PAL converter wouldn't help (unless you mean to hook up to a different TV)-- so my guess could be cabling or the set itself. You could prove the cable issue by trying different cables (and different connection types) - and could check the TV using a different NTSC video source.

-Vince

chun

Auditioning
hi vince,
my actual name is terry. but htf rejected it cos it has been taken. took 6 attempts with different names until i tried my surname.

thanks for your reply.
im hooking up the player via svideo directly to the back of my tv set
i have tried 2 different svideo cables..same B&W picture, tried component (is that what its called? red, white and yellow)..still b&w.. well, i dont think the player is the problem, the stupid thing with player is, it says it has a way of toggling from ntsc to pal, but it only changes the cover page from colour to b&w. it doesnt effect the change in playback.

playing ntsc formated vhs tapes works fine on the tv, playing R1 discs from another dvd player works fine

playing R4 and pal formatted dvds comes out fine. and im definitely sure the player is multiregion.

thanks vince for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks