What's new

Not many doctor shows yet. (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
There are some public domain releases of the early Richard Boone series MEDIC that are pretty good (save for the sappy soap opera theme music). Both Alpha Video and Critics Choice Video have released episodes from the series. And, of course, for modern day fans there's always ER.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Universal owns Welby, while Warners has Dr. Kildare and Medical Center. Since Universal has been opening the floodgates in its TV library, I expect to see Marcus Welby, M.D. out on DVD first. And considering how bad Fox has been in releasing stuff from its library, it'll be a miracle if Trapper John, M.D. ever comes out!

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

Kildare and Medical Center were orginally MGM properties. Considering how many ownership shuffles have taken place with the fragmenting of the MGM - MGM/UA libraries over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if ownership/rights issues emerged.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Not with those two titles- they were part of the pre- '86 MGM library bought by Ted Turner, along with other MGM shows like The Courtship of Eddie's Father, the two U.N.C.L.E. series and Please Don't Eat The Daisies. Many of the above shows wound up being shown on TNT in the late 80s- nearly 90s, and that includes the doctor shows.

The UA-produced shows like The Outer Limits and The Patty Duke Show were not part of the Turner deal and are now owned by Sony. One major exception from the UA television library is Gilligan's Island, which went to Warner Bros. I think it has to do with the fact that it was independetly produced thru Phil Silvers' production company. If you own any of the Gilligan season sets, you'll notice on the back of the box that the current copyright holders are his daughters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks