What's new

Nope (2022) (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
From my pov Nope was overall a disappointment. The performances were good, but I found the screenplay lacking in some areas. The whole was less than the sum of the parts, which some reviews have hinted at. I liked US a lot, but this one didn't work as well for me. US was also genuinely scary for me, but this one less so.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is a question I ask a lot, but: how jumpy is the film?

I normally avoid horror because of my aversion to jump scares. As a rare exception, I watched Get Out at home when a friend was able to cue me as to where the jump scares were and I had volume control available. I liked Get Out a lot so would be interested in seeing a Jordan Peele movie without jump scares. However, because he likes to make horror movies, they probably do have jump scares. The same friend who suggested Get Out also told me straight out that Us was way too much for me. So I'm not expecting to be able to see this. But if by some random miracle Peele hasn't included jump scares this time, then I would be interested.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
There are some jump scares, but fewer than I expected. For whatever reasons, it just wasn't very scary to me.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I liked how race was always a part of the story but never a source of the conflict
Thinking on this some more it might actually be the whole point: the black and Asian characters have always been a part of Hollywood but never or rarely part of the spectacle. They are easily forgotten or brushed aside. Just another sacrifice to the beast who must feed. And mere pittances of shiny to be spit out in their trail.

It’s always there hidden in plain sight. And don’t dare think you can understand or control it, or believe you can win it over because of progress

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I've wanted to see this since the first trailer gave me a laugh when the title popped up.

The whole was less than the sum of the parts, which some reviews have hinted at. I liked US a lot, but this one didn't work as well for me. US was also genuinely scary for me, but this one less so.
I was expecting it to be a little more cohesive. Especially, I was expecting the Gordo's Home incident to have some relevance to the current events but it really didn't other than as backstory for Ricky Park.

I can't say there was anything too scary (the scene in the barn with the kids in the alien costumes early in the movie was at first, but that's about it). The trailer for BARBARIAN was scarier.

But overall I really liked it. As Sam says, it's a great character study.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I assume the chimp ripped her face off.
Ohhhhhhh so she was part of that cast but also survived. I thought they said that Jupe was the soul survivor. I’m sorry, thanks for filling me in, I didn’t make that connection. I thought she was in Kid Sherriff not Gordy’s home.

Speaking of:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don’t agree with that at all. I loved key and Peele but I think the best directors have their own singular voices and Peele continues to grow his in an environment that strongly values mediocre stories that generate financial returns over artistic vision.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
I don’t agree with that at all. I loved key and Peele but I think the best directors have their own singular voices and Peele continues to grow his in an environment that strongly values mediocre stories that generate financial returns over artistic vision.
Of course there are great solo auteurs, but, in Peele's case I just mean a strong voice - not necessarily a co-writer, but a Producer who could reign in his meandering "ideas". GET OUT had a clean strong narrative with many fine "ideas". The problem with US and, even more so with NOPE, is that the story drive is lacking. They lack focus as good as some of the individual scenes may be

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
I LOVED NOPE. Thought-provoking, resonant, and very satisfying time in the theatre. Great performances, and works as both a "popcorn" movie and an art film with nuance and ambiguity. It looks and sounds rich, dense, and spectacular in IMAX. I like that the "traditional linear" American commercial film formula isn't followed entirely... it's not for everyone but what truly artful achievement is? I encourage everyone to see it on the best IMAX screen you can and decide. It's not what you expect... whatever your expectation is...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks