What's new

non-progressive component outputs...can I use them for hooking to HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I have an old Sony 550D DVD player...it has component outs, but is not progressive scan.

I am buying a Pioneer 64" HDTV this month, and it has 2 sets of component inputs. Can I hook up my DVD player using the Component connections...or does the TV expect component video to be progressive scan??

I have to wait a little while before I upgrade my DVD player. I will probably get that cool new Pioneer model (747?), if it doesnt have hte chroma bug.

Thanks

Jeff

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Jeff - Your player does not need to be a progressive scan player. All most all HD ready displays (with an exception of a few) will upconvert your 480i to 480p (Sony's earlier HD ready sets will convert to 960i)

In fact, if you have a newer HD ready set, the differences may be subtle (on film material) if you upgrade to a newer progressive scan dvd player. Even though you're not missing much, you'll probably still want to get the progressive scan dvd player later on down the line.

Elbert

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
Allan is right. Check the documentation with your TV. My Toshiba has two sets of components in that can accept either interlaced, progressive or HD inputs. My Mitsubishi has one set of components that will accept interlaced or progressive, the other will only accept progressive or HD input but not interlaced.

SMK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks