What's new

No wonder I was exhausted after watching "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon".... (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Now i have an excuse why my marks in Mandarin class were so low :D

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I almost fell asleep several times during Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but I don't think it had anything to do with the language of the film. :D

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
It means it was 1am and you had too much beer and....

Well, you get the point. :p)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
From the article:-

"It seems that the structure of the language you learn as a child affects how the structure of your brain develops to decode speech. Native English speakers, for example, find it extraordinarily difficult to learn Mandarin," Scott said.
I'm just wondering what the experience of Chinese-Americans/Canadians who tried to learn Mandarin later in life is? I've been speaking both since childhood, admittedly my English is much, much better than my Mandarin (where by now I've degenerated to being functionally illiterate :b but I can certainly still speak it), and am wondering how those who started at, say, age 10 fared in contrast.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
lol, my situation is the same as Yee-Ming... Well cantonese was my 'frist' language, but then i came to Canada, and now I speak english perfectly no accent whatsoever... But my cantonese/mandarin has suffered a lot. Haha kinda funny coincidence working today... I had about 6 customers, seriously about FOUR of them could NOT speak english. I had to speak cantonese to one of them, and MANDARIN (which i have VERY limited ability in speaking) to the other three. I got by allright :D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Ironically, my first (chronologically-speaking) language ws Mandarin Chinese, the second was Dutch (I was born in Holland), and I only started learning English (I think) when we moved to England when I was about 6. Promptly forgot all my Dutch (sorry Cees!) but took English on board in place. As for accents, I used to speak exactly like a Brit (for obvious reasons), but that's faded a lot since I "returned" to Singapore.

I've wondered about the business of "hardwiring" the brain with regards to speech patterns, I was taking German some years ago and I found pronunciation a breeze despite all those nasty "ch" sounds, but a lot of classmates were struggling. Perhaps my early experiences in speaking Dutch helped wire some of those sounds in my brain, even though I don't actually know any Dutch today?

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I probably learned English and Mandarin simultaneously during my childhood. Right now, I'd say my command over oral communications of the two languages are equal, but with better reading/writing skills in English.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks