What's new

No texting in the movie theater! (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I believe in "stand your ground" laws. There are countries where if someone breaks into your house and you kill or even injure the perp, you may get jail time, often more than the perp.

However, I do not see how this could even remotely be considered "stand your ground". In the last concealed handgun license (CHL) class I took, this type of story would have been used as an example of what not to do. We were taught that because we may carry concealed weapons, it is incumbent upon us to avoid situations where they may be used needlessly, or in the heat of anger. So, we were told to avoid parking space arguments, cutting in line arguments, etc. It is best to walk away from those situations. I guarantee that this Florida cop story will be used in future CHL classes.

There is no way I would have voted "not guilty" in a trial where a guy took a gun to a popcorn fight. I can only assume his being a former ranking cop who was old must have had something to do with him being allowed to skate on this.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I believe in "stand your ground" laws. There are countries where if someone breaks into your house and you kill or even injure the perp, you may get jail time, often more than the perp.

However, I do not see how this could even remotely be considered "stand your ground". In the last concealed handgun license (CHL) class I took, this type of story would have been used as an example of what not to do. We were taught that because we may carry concealed weapons, it is incumbent upon us to avoid situations where they may be used needlessly, or in the heat of anger. So, we were told to avoid parking space arguments, cutting in line arguments, etc. It is best to walk away from those situations. I guarantee that this Florida cop story will be used in future CHL classes.

There is no way I would have voted "not guilty" in a trial where a guy took a gun to a popcorn fight. I can only assume his being a former ranking cop who was old must have had something to do with him being allowed to skate on this.

I agree. I took the Carry License permit course in Florida and the Very first thing the instructors said was that a gun does not make you better than the next person and a carrying license IS NOT a free hand to play Cowboy or take the law into your own hands. Same thing when I moved back to South Carolina and took the class here. The instructor said. "Ok so you re all going to get CWP Thats great but Remember your bank account, remember your house. if you like those things dont lose them paying lawyers after you decided to get stupid with a gun"

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Believe me I make no comment negative or positive here, but you guys really show the difference between Canada and the USA! You talk about things like "Stand Your Ground" and "carry laws" which send shivers up my spine. I am sure I could tell you about how both things are illegal here and how basically hand guns are illegal as well, which could send shivers up yours!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Believe me I make no comment negative or positive here, but you guys really show the difference between Canada and the USA! You talk about things like "Stand Your Ground" and "carry laws" which send shivers up my spine. I am sure I could tell you about how both things are illegal here and how basically hand guns are illegal as well, which could send shivers up yours!
The good ol’ USofA is unlike any other country when it comes sto guns.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I got into so many fights in theaters over other people's unruly behavior and I can't count the other times I was told to eff off because I shushed people who were acting as if they were in their own living rooms. That's why I got my own projection room. So I can understand the exasperation but I agree the end result is tragic and he should have been found guilty.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One poster has just been thread banned and his post deleted. Next time somebody wants to disregard our posting guidelines regarding no political discussion/references, they will have their forum posting privileges suspended. This is the last warning!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks