What's new

No texting in the movie theater! (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Wow! Shocked he was found not guilty. I read about this when it first happened. My first thought was, since the theater was half-empty, why didn’t the shooter just move to another seat? An easily preventable tragedy. One of the many problems with this country is the willingness of some to start or escalate an incident with a complete stranger.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Prior to Covid, we were in the States at least two times a week. As a former public school and high school teacher, my immediate thoughtless response to rule breakers, poor drivers, and unruly children is to make a comment or beep the horn. I credit my wife and her elbows with probably repeatedly "saving my life" when we were there!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Wow! Shocked he was found not guilty. I read about this when it first happened. My first thought was, since the theater was half-empty, why didn’t the shooter just move to another seat? An easily preventable tragedy. One of the many problems with this country is the willingness of some to start or escalate an incident with a complete stranger.
I’m not surprised. Remember this is Florida, land of stand your ground. More and more people see violence as a first response not a last response. Why did the retired asshole have to complain about texting before the movie starts. It makes me think he’s got a hair-trigger.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’m not surprised. Remember this is Florida, land of stand your ground. More and more people see violence as a first response not a last response. Why did the retired asshole have to complain about texting before the movie starts. It makes me think he’s got a hair-trigger.
This case has been in the news for years. The retired cop tried to claim “stand your ground” due to the deceased throwing popcorn at him. This was rejected by the courts a few years ago. My take is something this small should have never escalated into a death, and the retired cop should have known better than to shoot, unless the deceased pulled a legitimate weapon on him.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This case has been in the news for years. The retired cop tried to claim “stand your ground” due to the deceased throwing popcorn at him. This was rejected by the courts a few years ago. My take is something this small should have never escalated into a death, and the retired cop should have known better than to shoot, unless the deceased pulled a legitimate weapon on him.
He also shot the deceased's wife, how does he walk away from that without any jail time.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Without going any further, I think we both know that the answer is that he was the right color, had the right former profession, and was in the right state.
My take is the cop knew the right people, and those people didn’t want to see him go to prison, which led to a ridiculous amount of delay in the proceedings.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Given that Reeves was a retired police officer I am not terribly surprised. Very disappointed though. The 'stand your ground' laws in this country really need to be re-examined and have tighter restrictions. Of course this will never happen, or at least not anytime soon.

Hopefully the deceased's widow can take this guy to civil court and ruin him financially. It won't bring her husband back, but it is probably the only legal remedy available.

- Walter.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
He also shot the deceased's wife, how does he walk away from that without any jail time.
I seem to remember reading it was a single shot that hit her hand at the same time it hit her husband. I assume her hand was in front of her husband, perhaps she was trying to pull him away from the ex cop?

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Why did the retired asshole have to complain about texting before the movie starts.
Not that I would ever shoot anyone for doing it, but... It pisses me off when people are texting or talking during the trailers. For me, the trailers are part of the entertainment experience. I think it's pretty selfish to think it's okay to talk or text at ANY time after the theater lights get dimmed. Those dimming lights mean it's time to put away the phones, shut up, and respect other's right to enjoy the experience they paid for.

Mark

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Given that Reeves was a retired police officer I am not terribly surprised. Very disappointed though. The 'stand your ground' laws in this country really need to be re-examined and have tighter restrictions. Of course this will never happen, or at least not anytime soon.

Hopefully the deceased's widow can take this guy to civil court and ruin him financially. It won't bring her husband back, but it is probably the only legal remedy available.

- Walter.
This case was not "stand your ground". They tried that and it was denied.
No matter how anyone feels about this - it is very sad. There is a kid with no daddy over texting and popcorn.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
This case was not "stand your ground". They tried that and it was denied.
No matter how anyone feels about this - it is very sad. There is a kid with no daddy over texting and popcorn.

Oh I read the attached article. I wasn't clear in my first post, but the reason that I mentioned 'stand your ground' is because it is my opinion that laws such as this foster a mindset that leads to events such as the one. Not sure how you put the genie back in the bottle, but no tolerance for use of deadly force in situations like this might be a good first step. I am not suggesting that it is never warranted, but clearly this was not the case in this particular instance when one party is 'armed' with a box of popcorn.

- Walter.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
It is tragic that this young man was shot over something as unimportant as texting while in a movie theater. Let me say that again (just so people clearly understand).. It is tragic that this young man was shot over something as unimportant as texting while in a movie theater. NOBODY deserves that level of severe punishment for texting or talking in a theater. Period.

That said, one thing is certain... This young man would NOT have been shot if he had NOT been texting in that movie theater. I personally believe he would NOT have been shot if he hadn't turned aggressively toward the ex cop that asked him to stop.

I am NOT saying the young man deserved to get shot. That was WRONG and I feel the ex cop should have been found guilty of at least some form of crime.

I'm simply saying that young man's own actions helped lead to creating the situation in the first place. Had he been RESPECTFUL of those around him, he would have walked out of that theater alive.

There is NO EXCUSE for shooting the man. But I don't think anyone here would be concerned if the ex cop had been tried for assault because he punched the guy in the face. Based on what I've read, in my opinion, the young man deserved a punch in the face.

The bottom line is this... Our individual rights stop where someone else's rights begin. Example: You have every right to smoke a cigarette and contaminate your lungs with pollutants. But others have a right to not be forced to inhale that foul stench. Therefore, your right to smoke is limited when that secondhand smoke is entering the noses of others.

If EVERYONE lived by that simple rule... Respecting the rights of others... We'd live in a far far better world.

Mark

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am born and raised in Florida. I was living there when this occurred. All I will say is, I couldn’t believe it

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I suspect this ex-cop is used to telling people what to do. He could have waited till the movie started, and by that time the guy might not have been texting. As an ex-cop he should have a higher awareness what constitutes a deadly threat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks