What's new

No more Tim Burton commentaries? (1 Viewer)

Paul T

Auditioning
I`ve read in a magazine that Tim Burton is never going to do a commentary again, because he thinks he is no good at them. Is this true? If so, then thats very sad as i was looking forward to a possible "Batman Returns" one. I thought his "Sleepy Hollow" one was quite good in an "informal chat" sort of way.
"Wisdom and goodness seem vile to the vile."
"Sticking Frank Oz`s hand up your butt does not make you Yoda."

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
i agree that he is no good at them. i could hardly believe it when i listened to the pee wee's big adventure commentary with him and paul rubens, and i was actually bored. i thought he would be a little more weird and manic, or atleast a little more informative...while i kind of wish he wouldn't just quit like that, i suppose the space on the disc should be reserved for better supplements. and i am glad that danny elfman recorded one for planet of the apes...i still remember the comments he made on the pee wee commentary about how surreal it was to see people moshing to the theme at a primus concert.
laugh.gif

------------------
signature.jpg

[email protected]

Brad_W

Screenwriter
This has nothing to do with Tim Burton, but have you heard the commentary on "In the Mouth of Madness?" It is the WORST commentary ever. You would think John Carpenter would provide a good commentary, but the problem was he brought in "Bob the lighting guy." Throughout the whole movie Mr. Carpenter asks "Bob" how he lit that scene or how he would light other scenes. Nothing informative, but I now know how to light movie scenes. Also, listen to Mel Gibson on Braveheart. Half the time he doesn't talk and the other half he talks about what the weather was like.
As far as Tim "I'm too good for Kevin Smith" Burton, I'm glad he isn't doing any more commentaries.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Having listened to the one on Sleepy hollow, this is probably a good thing. While I appreciate it when filmmakers put time and effort into their SE releases, commentaries are not always good things. While I still want as much of Tim Burton's insight into his films as I can get for future releases, this can be in the form of interviews, featurettes, etc.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Tim "I'm too good for Kevin Smith" Burton ?
Okay, I'm back. Tim "I'm too good for Kevin Smith" Burton was selected to direct the new Superman movie. At this particular point, Kevin "I'm the easiest going and down-to-Earth-guy in Hollywood" Smith was writing the script. As soon as Tim "lame" Burton found out it was Kevin Smith writing the script, he refused to meet with Kevin and walked out of the deal. Later on Kevin or the company, I forget which, dropped the script/Kevin. They still want Tim Burton to Direct. Kevin, of course, has no quoms about it, but I think that was way pretencious of Burton and made me want to vomit. Watch/listen to any commentary from Smith and you'll understand his Bruce Campbell-like demeanor.
that's all I have to say about that.
------------------

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I agree that Burton is not the best audio essayist of his own work. His commentaries are surprisingly banal for such an interesting film-maker.
I don't know if or why Burton thinks himself better than Kevin Smith, but Smith hardly endeared himself when he alleged that Burton stole then ending of Planet of the Apes from one of Smith's comics. Smith may be easy going and down to earth, but this was just plain petty and, not to mention, wrong. As if Burton would waste his time on a Smith comic.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I don't know if or why Burton thinks himself better than Kevin Smith, but Smith hardly endeared himself when he alleged that Burton stole then ending of Planet of the Apes from one of Smith's comics. Smith may be easy going and down to earth, but this was just plain petty and, not to mention, wrong. As if Burton would waste his time on a Smith comic.
__________________________________________________ ___
Again, I can't believe people take this seriously.
1. Kevin Smith did in fact have a drawing of the lincoln memorial with a monkey's head on it way before Tim Burton did POTA.
2. Kevin Smith was joking when he said Burton ripped him off. He laughs about this.
http://viewaskew.com
Again, this only proves Tim Burton sucks.
------------------

Dan Huey

Agent
"Yes, this is the reason that Tim Burton sucks. A couple of his movies are good, but he as a person sucks. For the record, I state: Tim Burton sucks!"
First off, you don't even KNOW Tim Burton! You can't even begin to say that "as a person he sucks", because you've never met him! Oh, I suppose reading internet comments, quotes, ect. means you "know" him. And just because you seem to carry the torch for Kevin Smith doesn't mean that everyone who doesn't want to work with him "sucks". He's not a God.
"Again, this only proves Tim Burton sucks"
Righhht. . .
[Edited last by Dan Huey on September 22, 2001 at 11:48 PM]

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
guys, please don't ruin another thread with this crap again. the topic is tim burton commentaries, not what kevin smith said about tim burton, not what tim burton said about kevin smith. im sorry, i just get real agitated when people bring this up, not because im a fan of burton or smith(even though i am to a certain extent), but because it's completely unnecessary and frankly, it's the same shitty argument. so let's not get another thread closed for off topic arguments like this-and let's just get back to the point-it is a good thing tim burton is backing out from commentaries. the man is better at displaying his vision or his creativity on film or paper, simple as that.
------------------
signature.jpg

[email protected]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, his commentaries are not very good. However, he needs to at least do one for Batman before he stops. That or Batman Returns. He also needs to bring in other people with him who will liven things up. That is the KEY to a good commentary
That's why Mel Brooks commentaries stink "That's Joe, a real professional, joy to work with, oh in this scene this is what happens without any actual commentary, hey there's Bob!"
Jeff Kleist

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
This has nothing to do with Tim Burton, but have you heard the commentary on "In the Mouth of Madness?" It is the WORST commentary ever. You would think John Carpenter would provide a good commentary, but the problem was he brought in "Bob the lighting guy." Throughout the whole movie Mr. Carpenter asks "Bob" how he lit that scene or how he would light other scenes. Nothing informative, but I now know how to light movie scenes.
Bob The Lighting Guy? Please. I believe Gary Kibbe is one of the most talented cinematographers going (although his work has been mostly limited to Carpenter's films). Just because you don't know or care who he is, there's no reason to insult him. I happen to be quite interested in what he has to say.
DJ

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Tim Burton's movies are great, As him for a person to be honest I have not seen or know alot about his personality.
From What I have been reading above he sounds like a very stuck up person
Kevin Smith is a great guy
Maybe BRODIE should give Tim a STINK PALM
laugh.gif

Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
Thank you WILL K for the banner
[Edited last by Ricky f on September 23, 2001 at 06:12 AM]

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I was certainly disappointed in the Sleepy Hollow commentary. He *does* need to work with other people in a commentary - it's a rare director (Robert Rodriguez comes to mind) who can fill a commentary wall-to-wall on his own. Rob Reiner, on the other hand, fails to have any point to his Stand By Me or When Harry... commentaries as the contemporary featurettes supplied give all the same info plus more!
I would like one on Batman. However, I've always contended it doesn't need to be the director - why should all Spielberg films suffer just because he doesn't want a commentary? What about Sam Neill, Laura Dern and Dickie Attenborough on Jurassic Park?
(On the Kevin Smith sidenote I think it's wrong to take what is essentially heresay so much to heart. Brad_W, you describe the situation from the outside but we have no way of knowing why Burton wouldn't want to work with Smith or even how vehemently he said it. People love to make innocuous stuff into full-blown bitching if it's about celebrities. Have you never had two mates that won't get on but you like them both? Doesn't mean their 'lame' or anything. Jeez.)
Theo

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Yes, his commentaries are not very good. However, he needs to at least do one for Batman before he stops.
I'd like to hear him do that one also, just for the sake of hearing him explain how he took a classic comic franchise and turned it into such an incomprehensible mess.
Hopefully, Aronofsky will end up doing Batman Year One and we will have a Batman film with an actual storyline instead of stunning visuals.
Jeff

Adam_H

Auditioning
I'm actually looking foward to Aronofsky to add his amazing visual style to the film. Did you see Requiem for a Dream!
I can't wait to see a Bruce Wayne scene with the "Snori" Cam.
---------------------
"Are you on uppers ma?"

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Did any of you actually read Kevin Smith's draft of Superman? It was quite bad. True, Tim Burton is allegedly somewhat stuck up, but don't knock him because of Kevin Smith. Oh, and I hope he does one for at least Batman Returns. That was more personal to him.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I liked his Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and Sleepy Hollow commentaries.
I don't know why some of you need to insult Burton for not spilling out every single detail! He probably has to do these commentaries at odd hours (like he has a ton of free time anyways being a director.)
Burton may not make the greatest commentaries (My personal favorite commentary is the Superman commentary with Richard Donner and Tom Mankewicz), but a boring commentary is better than none at all.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Okay, here comes an opinion that may be unpopular with the majority of HTF members: I think commentaries are overrated to begin with. Rarely will I sit through a movie a second time all the way through to hear a director's commentary. I'd much rather hear and SEE him in the bonus materials, in an interview or documentary, with scenes of the film intercut. I can tolerate that much more than sitting through a film a second time. Okay, let the barrage of naysayers have a go!
(PS: but a commentary by an educated film critic or historian, I can go for that. Give me a commentary like the one by Ebert on Dark City any day)
PSS: I can't say I agree with the last statement from the above post. If the commentary is going to be shitty, don't do it at all.
[Edited last by David Tolsky on September 23, 2001 at 07:35 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks