What's new

No idea what I should even check out. (1 Viewer)

occupiedbytim

Auditioning
Real Name
Timothy
Hey everyone,

For the first time, I'm going to be assembling a home theater. I have no idea what I'm doing or where to start. I don't know what speakers I should even look for when I go out for testing. For example, what kind of tower can I set as a reference point for very "warm" vs. a tower that is very "crisp" and "bright?" Or what about a speaker that is considered "neutral?"

The only thing I know is that it will be in a fairly small bedroom, approximately 10'x11'; I will be using it for casual music listening; and I will also use it as the more realistic cinematic medium for when I am video editing, as opposed to just editing from a Mac and a pair of Sennheiser headphones. Oh, and of course just for a regular home theater experience too.

Could anyone refer me to some speakers that I could go out and look for to test for reference? To help you understand what I might possibly like, I can give examples of what I think may help. Of course, keep in mind that it probably won't help that much at all. This should let you know just how clueless I am.

For music that I listen to: a lot of classic rock and punk. I play guitar myself and I always try to dial in the EQ with a slightly present and raunchy midrange, a bit of a sparkly high end, and a filling but tight bottom. I think in terms of overdrive, which I know can't mean well for the home theater experience.

I do also listen to classical music and jazz though. When I listen to classical music, I usually try to add more low mids into the mix if I can. To my ears it makes it sound more organic and woody. It gives it a slight airiness and warm fuzz - almost like you could actually hear the hair from the bows brush against the strings of the instruments. With this music I like a looser bass, not boomy though, and I still like a tiny bit of brilliance and shine on the high end, but otherwise smooth for the most part.

Am I sounding contradictory yet? Yeah, I know. I suck.

I don't know. Maybe something a little smoother on the high end - just something that's not so ice-picky and TV static-like. A tiny bit of sparkle. A tight and full bass (contradictory?). A slightly "smokey" midrange. These are all pretty much words that guitarists use to describe their tone, so I'm sorry I can't do any better.

Argh. You guys are the experts here. What can you recommend me, and what does my palette seem to point to? Something more on the bright end? Warmer? Neutral?

And what about receivers. Recommendations for those?

I'm so lost.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Budget? Speakers can run from $20 each to $150,000 each. There are thousands of options in between those extremes.

occupiedbytim

Auditioning
Real Name
Timothy
Let's just say nothing over 1200 for a pair of floorstanders, nothing over 600 for a sub, and then surrounds I'm just open to looking at what is a relatively low price good starter.

csintegrators

Auditioning
Real Name
Victor Alvarado
Always a fan of Denon AVR-2311ci -620

They match well with almost anything, partial to Paradigm Ref Studio 60's - 1100 a pair, Paradigm CC-490 (center channel) - 475, Paradigm ADP-390 -450, Sunfire HRS-10 -600

thats what i would do with your money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks