What's new

No DTS Detection, DVD Player or Receiver Problem? (1 Viewer)

Eric Y

Grip
Just recently I purchased a new receiver (Yamaha RX-V630) to replace my old prologic one. Last night I finally was able to get everything hooked up but I'm having a problem with the setup. I tried to watch LOTR Extended Version in DTS 6.1, but I could not get the reciever to detect DTS at all. When I would switch it to DTS there would be no sound at all. I was able to get Dolby Digital Matrix 6.1 to work though. Is the problem in my DVD Player? It is an older GE model and on the front it has the dolby digital logo, but not a DTS logo. Does the DVD player need the DTS logo too to get DTS to work or is there a problem with my receiver?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
Eric Y

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Does the DVD player need the DTS logo too to get DTS to work or is there a problem with my receiver?
Almost certainly its a player issue.

DTS was late to the DVD party, and many older players do not pass the DTS bitstream. Also, even on newer players, you may need to toggle an option in the menu to make sure it sends out DTS. That is there to prevent you from sending a DTS bit stream to a decoder that does not know what to do with it.

BGL

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Most dvd players have (within the menu) an option to "output bitstream" audio. This needs to be enabled.

Eric Y

Grip
Thanks
I think the problem is with my DVD player. It is set to bitstream and I'm using the optical digital output. I couldn't find any mention of DTS anywhere on it or in any of the menus. I guess I'll have to upgrade to get DTS.
Eric Y

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I think the problem is with my DVD player.
Right. Your DVD has the same problem as my 1st Generation Sony 3000...it does NOT support DTS.

All the Bitstream toggle does is allow for DD to pass through the ditigal output along with PCM.

The good news? Any player made in the last few years, even the $49 Apex units, should pass DTS now, so go one down to your local Best Buy and do the upgrade dance.

BGL

ChristopherR.H

Auditioning
I also have the GE. And did the same thing you did- upgraded my reciever. When I play something in DTS, a red DTS logo comes in the front display window, but my reciever(onkyo)stays on DD. I too have figured it was the player and am shopping around now. Thinking about the Bravo D1. Not sure yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks