No DTS Detection, DVD Player or Receiver Problem?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Eric Y, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Eric Y

Eric Y Extra

Just recently I purchased a new receiver (Yamaha RX-V630) to replace my old prologic one. Last night I finally was able to get everything hooked up but I'm having a problem with the setup. I tried to watch LOTR Extended Version in DTS 6.1, but I could not get the reciever to detect DTS at all. When I would switch it to DTS there would be no sound at all. I was able to get Dolby Digital Matrix 6.1 to work though. Is the problem in my DVD Player? It is an older GE model and on the front it has the dolby digital logo, but not a DTS logo. Does the DVD player need the DTS logo too to get DTS to work or is there a problem with my receiver?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thank you
    Eric Y

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

3. Robert Fellows

Robert Fellows Stunt Coordinator

You may have to 'enable' DTS in the setup menue

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Most dvd players have (within the menu) an option to "output bitstream" audio. This needs to be enabled.

5. Eric Y

Eric Y Extra

Thanks
    I think the problem is with my DVD player. It is set to bitstream and I'm using the optical digital output. I couldn't find any mention of DTS anywhere on it or in any of the menus. I guess I'll have to upgrade to get DTS.
    Eric Y

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

7. ChristopherR.H

ChristopherR.H Auditioning

I also have the GE. And did the same thing you did- upgraded my reciever. When I play something in DTS, a red DTS logo comes in the front display window, but my reciever(onkyo)stays on DD. I too have figured it was the player and am shopping around now. Thinking about the Bravo D1. Not sure yet though.