What's new

No.1 hit HARDBALL on DVD Feb 19th! (1 Viewer)

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Just announced from Paramount is a 2/19 release date for the No.1 U.S. boxoffice feel-good hit 'HARDBALL', starring Keanu

Reeves (The Matrix, Speed) and Diane Lane (The Perfect Storm, The Cotton Club). The disc comes quite feature-loaded, sporting a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, English 5.1 and English and French 2.0 surround tracks, audio commentary with director Brian Robbins and writer John Gatins, "The Making Of Hardball" featurette, three deleted scenes, the "Hardball" music video by Lil Bow Wow, Lil' Wayne, Lil' Zane & Sammie, the theatrical trailer, and "Interstitials" and more! Retail is $29.95.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I must be on drugs, or something. It seems to me that this thing pretty well tanked. How does it rate a no. 1 Hit?
Ahh, yes those bastions of intellegence and truth, the marketing department. :D
Never was a big fan of TBNB, so a redux was never in the cards for me.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
'HARDBALL' has made $40 million at the U.S. boxoffice alone, which I agree makes it a hit! Especially when you consider that it only cost $21 million to produce and had it's entire publicity campaign wiped-out as it was released only 3 days after the September 11th atrocities. Paramount are reaping the profits from this movie big time, regardless of what you think.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Wow, I am impressed. I had not realised that it had such a good ROI. I think I will still pass on it mind you, orginal sentiments hold for me.
Huh.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Dan.

Yeah, apparently 'HARDBALL' opened at No.1 on Sept 14 with $9.4 million and stayed at No.1 the following weekend with another $8.1 million. It's had slim declines since and has now made just short of $40 million in 10 weeks on the chart.

Scott Page

Stunt Coordinator
WOW!!!! A whole $40 Mil huh?
Umm...many movies do that the first week or two. Never heard of this movie. But in looking it up, it got bad reviews. How does that make it a number 1 hit?
Ok, just read Martin's post. I'm eating my humble pie now. ;) Apparently it was a number 1 movie; even with the bad reviews.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
It makes it a number one hit? Because err....

It reached No.1 and, due to it making a big profit, it is termed a 'hit'.

The reason you haven't heard of it, was because it's entire publicity campaign was wiped-out in the terrorist attacks of September 11th. With the blanket 24 hour news coverage it's EPK, trailer and TV spots were never shown apparently.

You're absolutely right though - a big summer blockbuster would make $40 million in it's opening weekend. I don't think even Paramount believed 'Hardball' to be a 'blockbuster' though.

Scott Page

Stunt Coordinator
Not to step on anyones toes, but in my opinion $40mil in revenues in the US market does not make a movie a hit. Even if it only cost half that to make. While the word "hit" is certainly highly subjective, a movie with bad reviews, that few people have heard of, that has only done $40 mil during its box office run, is anything but a hit.

But if you like it great. I don't know anything about the movie at all. Didn't even read a single review. But based on a single photograph I saw, I thought immediately, the Bad News Bears or Mighty Ducks all over again. Is that the kind of "feel good" movie that this is? If so, its a VERY tired formula that is thrown out every other year. If that is not what it is then ignore this post. If it is that kind of movie, ho hum, been there & done that to many times.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Hardball was actually a good movie. I'm definitly buying this on release date.

Give the movie a chance.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I am still impressed with the ROI, but I tend to agree with those stating that a film with poor reviews and poor overall showing does not make it a hit.
In my most humble opinion, a hit would be something like Jaws, or SPR, or Star Wars. That being said, my initial impressions of this being TBNB redux might be coloring my judgment, but then my judgment is all I have for determining what is a good movie.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Hardball, imho, is more of a sleeper hit then a hit. Sleeper hits usually take in anywhere from $25 million to $100 million (depending on budget). Hits (as I said, imo) are classified as films that take in over $100 million.
I thought Hardball was a good film, but I'm only buying it if it's the original R rated cut, and by the looks of it, the DVD will include the theatrical PG-13 cut.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
This is getting a little tedious.
I totally agree that a 'hit' is a subjective thing, but this thread was really just to announce that 'Hardball' was coming to DVD and what the specs were. All I know is this: The film reached No.1 in the boxoffice and stayed there two weeks. It has made Paramount a lot of money already without an overseas release or video release which will only make them more money. EVERY industry boxoffice analyst article whether in print or on the web (Variety, Hollywood Reporter, BoxOfficeGuru, Boxoffice Mojo, Einsiders, Entertainment Weekly, Yahoo Movies, IMDB Boxoffice News, Showbiz Data, EDI) has called this film a 'hit'. So as far as I can see - the film was a No.1 'hit' - regardless of personal taste and preference. Even DVDFile are calling it a 'hit' - http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-....html#11252001
End of subject as far as I'm concerned. For those interested the DVD is coming out Feb 19th.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Oh, and yes it is an excellent movie as well... it has simularities to TBNB's etc but it also has alot of fresh ideas. This is Keanu's best non-Matrix film and his chemistry with Diane Lane was cool as well. The kids were funny and the film has it's share of sad, funny and powerful moments. I'd also like the R cut as well as the PG13 cut.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Sorry, I should have put 'IMHO' at the end of my last post. Also come to think of it, I personally think, 'Speed', 'Devils Advocate' and 'The Gift' are quite good as well, IMHO.

'Hardball' is definately worth checking-out.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I thought this movie was pretty good, in fact better than I expected. That being said, I'm on the fence about purchasing it as a DVD. We'll see...

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
According to The Digital Bits 'Interstituals' are T.V. Spots. So, now you know.

I loved this film and I didn't think I would! I was really surprised by how good it was. The movie is definately cliched, manipulative and 'by the numbers' but it is 100%

entertaining with some very powerful parts - dark in places, sad in places, funny in places. It seems to have it all. I really recommend it. Keanu was surprisingly effective and Diane was fab as always. It is still in cinemas if you want to catch-it.

The DVD looks like a winner!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks