What's new

Nintendo Gamecube $149 (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Price drop confirmed this morning by Nintendo.

The Gamecube is a steal at $149. You can pick it up with Smash Brothers for the price of the X-box or PS2. With all the excellent games for the system, I highly recommend it!

Resident Evil

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

Spider-Man

Pikmin

Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Super Monkey Ball

Super Smash Brothers Melee

Many games still to come! I can't wait for announcements at E3.

Jason_H

Second Unit
All of this comes at a complete shock to no-one. :) Oh well, even though I already own all three systesm, hopefully this will encourage sales and spur more game development.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm...$149...tempting...

Gamecube or wireless network or new receiver and speakers...argh!!! Too many things I want.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
i think I will be forced to get one when the new Mario Bro. game arrives .. Mario Sunshine?

That and Resident Evil look damn awesome!

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Any word on a Canadian drop yet?

I just picked up and Xbox with it's price drop, so now I guess I will have to grab a gamecube when the Wrestlemania X8 game comes out.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If they also drop their game prices like they are rumored to in some sites around the net, I'm going to have to own two systems! :eek:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Where did you see the game price drop rumors? This would really solidify them. It would also allow me further to afford a PS2 to compliment my gamecube goodness.
Mike: Get the gamecube :) You won't regret it. However, I can attest to the value of a good soundsystem ;).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Woohoo! :D
I didn't expect this to happen (but I was hoping).
My to-do list:
- Finish thesis
- Get job
- Buy Gamecube

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I think I'm going to pick it up at this price and round out my console collection. Which game will give me more playtime? Monkey Ball or Smash Bros (Edit: or maybe Resident Evil)? I'll probably buy both eventually but I'll start with one for now.

Anyone else interested - EBgames.com has it for $149 plus a free memory card. If you buy it with an extra controller you get a free memory card and free 2nd day shipping.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Hmm. This is tough. I've already got a PS2 and I'm thinking about adding a cube to my collection. The question is to buy now or wait. I might wait until later when some more games come out. Really the only released games that peak my interest are Rogue Leader and Resident Evil. Although Eternal Darkness, RE 0 and 2, as well as Metroid all will be out later in the year. Oh the choices ;)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Hmm-other than Monkey Ball-nothing that is compelling me to buy a cube right now. That will probably change once Metorid & Zelda hit, but until then, I think I'll stick with my Xbox. Nice to see the cuts though-maybe another cut before Christmas? I'd definitely expect to see some good bundle deals when Mario or Zelda comes out (whichever makes it first...)

Rich Co

Grip
Can any one tell me how much a Gamecube weighs since i'm planning to get one from the US since the retailers here will not lower their prices until they sell out their stocks.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I have to second Smash Brothers. I'm replaying through the game (a third party memory card erased all of my games) and it's simply amazing how much the game has to offer. It's an excellent 2-4 player game as well.
Monkey Ball is wonderful, but does not have quite as much to it, and the two player mode is switch-off rather than side by side.
I don't know the weight of the gamecube. I've searched a few FAQs and come up blank. All I can gather is "light". :).

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
I have both Monkey Ball and Super Smash Brothers and I prefer Monkey Ball (like them both though). The single player mode is more satisfying (90+ different levels), and there's more variety in the multiplayer game.
There is a side-by-side mode of the main game in addition to the switch-off mode that John mentioned. There are also six party games:
- Monkey Target (the most popular it seems)
- Monkey Fighting
- Monkey Race
- Monkey Bowling
- Monkey Golf
- Monkey Billards

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Though I didn't find Monkey Ball particularly interesting (when I played it over Christmas), the two mini-games Monkey Fighting and Monkey Race are just about worth the cost of the game! They are really fun.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I've decided to hold off on getting a cube for a while. I picked up Resident Evil Code Veronica for the PS2 today for 30 bucks(never played it on the DC) so that'll give me my resident evil fix until I start work and can actually afford the cube ;)
The Zelda videos and the new Metroid screen shots(along with the announcements of upcoming games) sold it for me. I think it will complement my PS2 nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks