What's new

Price cuts could be on the way (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Nintendo have just stated they will drop the price of the Gamecube to counter any reduction by Sony for the PS2. Things are gonna hot up this year, if the PS2 does come down to $199 then the Gamecube will probably be $149...any bets on a drop for the XBox???

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
The X-Box is by far the most expensive of the consoles in the rest of the world, so they could leave it up there. Mind you, the US is (partly thanks to the price of the PS2) the one place the X-Box is selling, so they would probably want to keep that going.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I just wish the PS2 would drop soon, as I'm in the market for a second one.

-Andre F

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I've thought this for a while, but I doubt that the PS2 will drop until they have their Ntework adapter/modem + HD bundle. Sell that for $299 and then their base unit for 249 or something. It seems clear that online has to be a big part of what they are doing, so a bundle makes a whole lot of sense. I'd be REALLY surprised if they _do_ offer a bundle but at a cheaper price than their $299 price point.

The PS2 is still selling well - I don't think there is that much pressure to really drop the price yet.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
it's gonna be bloody between the three I think, which is good for the consumer.

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
I have held off on purchasing any of the Next Gen consoles simply because of price (I already have a Dreamcast so I'm not totally deprived ;) ). I am looking to get an XBox as soon as its price comes down to sane levels.
-Mike

paul h

Supporting Actor
Link Removed
In non-April fools day news, Nintendo vice president of marketing, George Harrison, says that Nintendo may cut the price of GameCube pending a price cut on Playstation 2.
"We haven't made a decision on (a price cut)," Harrison said to Reuters/CNET. "Sony's expected to make the first move and then we'll see where we stand." Harrison implied that the PS2 price cut to $199 would make a GCN price drop more likely, and that the price cut would have to take place by August to take advantage of the holiday buying season, according to the article.
Any price drop news will have a chain effect on all three hardware makers. The cuts may take place in a little over a month, at E3 2002.
And that is exactly why i'm holding off on any possible XBox purchase...

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
If sony drops the PS2 to $199, I might break my Nintendo Brand exclusivity. I really want to get Kingdom Hearts, which has not yet been announced for the GCN. If that game debuts without a GCN announcement, I'm going to have a second console. (I don't count my Dreamcast).

They'd have to pay me to get an X-box.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I've been planning on getting a PS2 for awhile now, but have been waiting for this price drop. If it's $299 for the PS2 with the harddrive and broadband adapter, I'll get it immediately. Till then, my GameCube and GBA are doin' fine.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
In that case, your signature seems particularly appropriate
MMM Hmmm.

I assure you my reasons for not wanting an X-box are quite rational:

1) The pirated dreamcast controller - That was my least favorite part of the DC, and they copy it???

2) A PC that plugs into my TV - what makes you think that any of the Big Games won't end up on PC? Halo is already in the planning and that's their system seller. Remaining games should divide nicely between the two other consoles.

3) Microsoft is an unknown variable in video game land. Sony has the chops to stick around. So does Nintendo. I've already been burned by the DC, so I'm not hopping into the pot with the X-box.

4) There is no killer app for me. None. There isn't anything I want the X-box for.

5) I loathe Microsoft's business practices. I work as a network administrator now, and for many years I worked in PC Support. I hate the way Microsoft does business, and they are consistantly doing things to lessen my view of them as a company. I don't plan to give them any of my cash.

Fairly rational I think.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Easy there, John, I was just poking a little fun at what seemed like a fairly drastic statement. But if you like, we can discuss your points:
1) I don't know how much time you've spent with the American controller, but except for a few minor quibbles (buttons raised slightly too high, too close together, and kind of slippery), I find it to be excellent. And happily, the Japanese controller (and the forthcoming "S" controller) solves even those minor quibbles.
2) Do you think Jet Set Radio Future or Rallisport Challenge will make it to the PC? And if even if by some bizarre circumstances they do, will they be any good in that environment? Of all the arguments against the Xbox, the "it's just a PC" one seems to be the most specious. Why, because it says "Microsoft" on it? Does that make the Playstation a walkman?
3) Sony and Nintendo have the chops to stick around? Hmm, once upon a time people would have said the same about Sega.
4) Nothing I can say to change your mind about this point, but if you really don't like Halo, Gotham, Jet Set, Rallisport, DOA3, Genma Onimusha, or the best looking and best sounding versions of most of the popular franchises (Madden, 2K2, Tony Hawk, SSX Tricky) I'm not sure what games you do like. Still, if not one Xbox game interests you, so be it.
5) And again, if you feel personally affronted by Microsoft's business practices, not much I can counter with on that either. Doesn't make their game system bad, but I can't argue morals and ethics with you, that's a personal thing.
I've got no problem with your point of view, John, like I said I was just having a little fun with you (hence the smiley). At the end of the day it's just a game system. Enjoy your GCN and peace, brother. :)

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Um, in re-reading my post I realize I have inadvertently veered this thread off-track and away from the subject of price cuts. Sorry about that, Paul. And John, clearly my flippant remark was not received in the spirit in which it was intended. For that, I apologize to you as well; maybe we can just agree to disagree on this one? :)
As for price cuts, I don't think MS can afford to go much lower than they already are. Sony is still selling a ton of PS2s, but if they were to drop their price by a third, leaving only the Xbox at $300? That could make things very dicey for MS...

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Apology accepted. I value your opinion, and after our two follow up posts, I think we were a lot clearer on each of our intentions :).
I agree with you that if PS2 drops it's price, the biggest hurt is going to come to MS. Sony sells more than enough units and software to drop their price, and Nintendo really cares about software, not hardware, sales... Microsoft may shed a lot of profits keeping up with PS2.
Can't hurt the gamers though.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I thought I would sort of break in on the tangent that was started and ended for a second:

In my opinion, the console not having any games that appeal to someone is the ONLY reason why they should not get a console. Anything else would just be more straw after the camel's snapped.

Back to the topic, I would like there to be a summer price cut on all 3 consoles. Probably my only chance to have all 3 (only missing an X-Box) until either my birthday (October) or next Christmas.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
"President Wolf" I like it!!
With the gamecube costing 150 frikkin dollars there should be no reason not to pick this up!! Especially with Resident Evil coming out. All this good news makes me wanna cry. :laugh::emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks