What's new

Nightmare on Elm Street Box Set (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure if anyone saw this or mentioned it yet, but the New Line Platinum Series collection of the Nightmare on Elm Street DVDs has dropped from being over $100 to around $42-45 depending on the site. I went to Best Buy last night and picked it up for $45. The set still had a $89.99 price tag on it. Snatch it up while you can. There aren't too many stores with the set still available, but you can get it online in any event.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator
..or they realized people don't want to pay $100 for a bunch of subpar horror movies. :b

It's been hovering around $70 at Wal Mart for a couple of years now, IIRC. It's $38 at DeepDiscountDVD.

You know, I thought that too, but Amazon shows that New Line just re-released the set on September 6th and it was backordered for a little while. So, I think they just lowered the price because it's an older set with pretty shoddy transfers.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator
That set comes with the "Encyclopedia" disc, so does that mean the movies themselves are barebones, or are they comparable to the red cased snapper releases? I'd consider the set @ $38 if they actually carried the same specs.

Actually the only difference between the two versions is the video format. The regular (non-box set) editions contain the same material, except they also contain the pan and scan versions of the films. Other than that difference, I believe, they are identical.

On each of the box set dvds, there are commentary, 5.1 and Dolby Stereo audio tracks, captions, regular scene selections, and "Jump to a Nightmare" scene selections where you can go right to a death scene. Compared to today's dvd standards this is rather bare-bones. I think the Encyclopedia disc makes up for the lack of features on the individual dvds.

This is how IGN reviewed the Eighth (Encyclopedia Disc):

"The Nightmare Series Encyclopedia" bonus DVD has both "The Labyrinth," an interactive maze through the Elm Street house that lets you unlock more interview content, and "Welcome to Primetime," a full-length documentary about the series featuring interviews with Craven, Clive Barker, cast members, and the directors of all the other Nightmare films.

I think the set is definitely worth the money.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator
Well, in that case, considering the price drop, I think I may opt for the set now. Thanks for the specs, Will. Much appreciated.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I'd recommend it if you love the movies. Up until the price drop I have yet to watch the flicks since I rented them when the first came out. There are also 3D glasses for you enjoyment. ;)

Ryan

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Also, in the box set, the movie discs do not contain the trailers, but they are all included on the Encyclopedia disc.

I finally got this at Fry's the other night for $45, which I thought was a ridiculous price until I found out it had been dropped all over.

Still a terrific deal, though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks