NHT 3's Versus NHT'S SB 3's

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Don, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Don

Don Second Unit

anyone know which one might be better for a satelite system. if i get either of these they will be used on a Denon AVR-3200 Receiver. any thoughts or advice. also what is the prices for these speakers. Don,

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

They'd both be perfectly fine, just listen to each and pick, or decide based on what grabs you. I like 2-ways, but dome mids can be great...Personal decision. I have heard that NHT's respond well to good amp power, headroom is a good thing in most cases.

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I have not heard the 3's, but do have a pair of SB3's. They like a bit of power. I find that they really do not come alive until you bring the volume up a bit. Not ear bleeding volume, mind you, but they don't really shine at low volumes. For a bookshelf speaker, they also play pretty low (mid 30 hertz range), but that will be somewhat lost if you run a sub. And they are somewhat laid back, in comparison to other speakers, but I find that they are pleasant to listen to over a wide variety of music. In particular, stuff that is recorded bright may be more pleasant via the SB3’s than with a speaker that is bright to start with.

I have them in a 2CH rig crossed at 100 hertz to a sub, and they sound very nice.

Have you looked at the new NHT Classic's? I am actually auditioning a pair of the new Absolute Zero’s in place of the SB3’s. I just got them last night, and have only listened to a handful of discs, but I am liking what I and hearing.

They are a bit brighter than the SB3’s, but not obnoxiously so,. And they throw up a huge soundstage. With the right recording, they absolutely disappear in the room. Very well made too.

Brian