What's new

NFL on Sirius?? (1 Viewer)

David-S

Second Unit
Sirius Satellite Radio (SIRI) The National Football League is expected to announce that the satellite radio firm will be an official league sponsor and its first satellite-radio broadcaster, according to the Wall Street Journal. In a seven-year deal worth $220 million, the NFL will receive $188 million in cash and $32 million in Sirius stock, with the ability to earn warrants to buy an additional 50 million shares, the newspaper said, citing NFL officials.

Allen_M

Auditioning
Here is the full story:

SIRIUS Becomes The Official Satellite Radio Partner of the National Football League; Will Create 'The NFL Radio Network'

The National Football League and SIRIUS Satellite Radio today announced a seven-year agreement for SIRIUS to broadcast all NFL games live nationwide, and for SIRIUS to become the Official Satellite Radio Partner of the National Football League, with exclusive rights to use the NFL "shield" logo and collective NFL team trademarks.

Beginning with the NFL's 2004 season, SIRIUS will carry the entire NFL regular season as well as select pre-season contests and playoff games.

As part of the agreement, SIRIUS will create "The NFL Radio Network," an around-the-clock exclusive stream of NFL content for SIRIUS subscribers. The radio channel will provide news, features, and a wide-range of other programming highlighting the NFL and its teams. The NFL Radio Network will also include programs from The NFL Network television channel, the first television network dedicated to the NFL which launched in November.

SIRIUS will offer all of the NFL programming at no additional cost to its subscribers.

NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said, "SIRIUS has a strong commitment to sports broadcasting. We look forward to the great new programming that will be available to NFL fans on Sirius. Our partnership with SIRIUS provides all fans nationwide with another way to stay in touch with their favorite teams."

"The NFL is the most powerful name in sports, and SIRIUS is elated to be working with this world-class organization," said Joseph P. Clayton, President and CEO, SIRIUS. "For the first time ever, football fans will have the opportunity to hear radio play-by-play of their favorite NFL team -- called by their favorite local announcers -- no matter where they are in North America. This agreement represents a major enhancement to our superior programming lineup and it underscores our ongoing commitment to enrich the SIRIUS subscriber experience."

Scott Greenstein of The Greenstein Group, an entertainment industry consulting firm that brought SIRIUS and the NFL together, commented, "This is much more than a simple broadcast license. The NFL programming provides SIRIUS with compelling content that is unavailable anywhere else while allowing the teams to connect with their out-of-market fans across the country."

The agreement between the NFL and SIRIUS has been approved by the owners of NFL-member clubs and is subject to customary documentation. Further information regarding SIRIUS' agreement with the NFL is contained in a Current Report on Form 8-K filed by Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, it may be time for me to switch to Sirius. If they would just pick up at least Sporting News or Fox Sports radio it would make the decision easier. Although I have Sunday ticket, it would be nice to have it in the car on the way down to the convenient store or maybe for a badly timed road trip.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
will sirius have this exclusively or will there be an announcement by xm regarding this as well.

if it is exclusive then sirius just seriously (pun intended) upped the ante in the satellite radio game.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Joe Clayton said on CNBC that the NFL radio deal is exclusive. Also, the partnership is exclusive. XM can negotiate the rights to carry games, but the other content and the NFL radio stream will be exclusive.

I just made my mind up. I was debating between XM and Sirus because of the sports, but now there is no contest. What is the best unit to add on to a 2003 Chevy Suburban with an in-dash Bose 6 CD changer? If Sirus would make a similar deal for College Football I would just go buy a new car with the radio already installed.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep, they promoed it to me today; starting 2004; the Sunday Games, plus Sunday Night & Monday Night Football, all the playoffs + Superbowl. They say all market games will play.. I cannot tell you how absolutely ECSTATIC I am about this! I picked Sirius in part because of sports (NBA, Baseball) this absolutely keeps me put.. if you want sports, as they say Its_On :)

(Admin should change thread title to Sirius Announces to Carry NFL or something similar rather then a question now that it's been confirmed?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks